Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
Put the above away wet and thentemprture dropped to -29F.
Have tried the "pull cord" no luck
tried electric and starter won't engage.
Put a space heater as close as I can get it and am monitoring it.
Any other thoughts
Thanks for your time.
Ron
From frozen in in Ontario:mad:

·
Registered
260 Posts
If ya get it heated up you should be also to get it running. As to the electric starter, there gets to be water on the bendix shaft and when it freezes the bendix wont more into flywheel when the starter is used. Before parking the machine you can try pulling the plug wire, and hitting the starter button several times to fling the water off the shaft.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Steal the wife's hair dryer and blow it right into the recoil assembly for several minutes. Pull lightly on the rope until it releases after a bit. If the rope gets wet, and it gets that cold after a run, they'll all do it. We're dealing with 0 F overnight with wind here in MI and seeing similar problems. Negative 29 F is harsh on everything I bet:eek:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Might also try the appropriate windshield de-icer in a small spray bottle. It should at least get you going again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This exact thing happened to me monday. I was blowing snow all day sunday at girlfriends and put the machine up in my truck over night. Well it snowed, snow melted into everything. So the recoil assembly worked poorly, 30w engine oil was thick as molases so it would barely turn over anyway, even shifter was stuck in the last gear i left her in. i had to take her home like that. After a few hours in the warm garage, shes back to normal. I think i'll bring a tarp and cover her up after snowblowing away from home. This should keep melting snow from refreezing, and any water should dry up or drip off enough to keep the moving parts moving.

I think i'll have to go with a thinner oil as well. Maybe a 5w20 synthetic. 30 weight sure is thick in -12f weather.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This exact thing happened to me monday. I was blowing snow all day sunday at girlfriends and put the machine up in my truck over night. Well it snowed, snow melted into everything. So the recoil assembly worked poorly, 30w engine oil was thick as molases so it would barely turn over anyway, even shifter was stuck in the last gear i left her in. i had to take her home like that. After a few hours in the warm garage, shes back to normal. I think i'll bring a tarp and cover her up after snowblowing away from home. This should keep melting snow from refreezing, and any water should dry up or drip off enough to keep the moving parts moving.

I think i'll have to go with a thinner oil as well. Maybe a 5w20 synthetic. 30 weight sure is thick in -12f weather.
Go for 0W-30.. That will fix your oil issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts