Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help my friend fix her snowblower.
Only one auger is turning. When she replaces the sheer pin, it immediately breaks off again and again. I would like to help fix it for her but I’m not sure what the problem is? Could it be a faulty bearing on that side causing it not to turn? , what should I be looking for? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
534 Posts
While the pin is broken and removed, try to rotate the auger, that might give you an idea what is wrong. Most likely it is seized our nearly seized outer bearing, or something in the housing rubbing on the auger.
Good luck.
Sid

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to SBF Gmscan

Sounds like something might be bent and part of the auger might be catching something protruding like a bolt or nut holding the housing together.

What snow blower are we talking about ??

·
Registered
725 Posts
There may just be a stone wedged between the offending auger and the collector housing. If you find one just knock it free.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
:welcome:

Knowing the machine brand/model will definitively help. Since the shear pins are breaking, the shaft IS turning, but the auger is not. As recommended, try turning the suspect auger while the shear pin is out. I am thinking it will not make a full revolution, but rather hit something.

Could be something is jammed or the auger blade(s) are bent.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have seen something similar once. It was a combination of the auger rake being bent and hitting one of the impeller paddles that was also slightly bent. Due to the gear ratio it would hit like every 10 revs. or so of the auger shaft. If you dont find the interference right away, inspect the impeller for a bent paddle and look for scratches to indicate a collision.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts