Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back someone mentioned using coffee filters when refueling. So I bought a screened funnel and tried using filters. It takes too long to drain. Short of using cheesecloth, are there any, not so dense, coffee filters ?

I have a Honda 1132 with the dreaded clogging carb jet.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Short of using cheesecloth, are there any, not so dense, coffee filters ?
I have a Honda 1132 with the dreaded clogging carb jet.
Get a purpose-designed fuel filtering funnel: https://www.amazon.com/RA-Extending-Chainsaw-Trimmer-Brushcutter/dp/B01MY0VDTZ/ref=asc_df_B01MY0VDTZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198074405649&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=805910150230335210&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002579&hvtargid=aud-801738734305:pla-320202155511&psc=1
The Honda GX340 carb is not substantially different in design from the other GX carbs. It should not be more prone to jet clogging than any others. Just follow the basic OPE fuel recommendations from your owners manual on pages 39 & 53-55, including treatment with Stabil Marine: http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/00X317677240.pdf

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had better luck with a new gas can and a funnel with a filter.
If I don’t use the gas in 3 months I empty any unused gas into my truck and buy new ethanol free gas so it is always fresh.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i use a funnel that also catches water before it gets to the tank.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have found out, from 42 years of power support work, the only sure way to prevent gummed & corroded carbs in all types of gasoline engines is to run them out of gas.
Diesel and turbine fuel, however, need only a bio additive and will tolerate several years of storage. One diesel GM genset on a mountain top not far from @tabora hadn't been run for close to 20 years and fired up with the original fuel.
But gasoline starts to deteriorate when leaving the refinery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use a Melitta #4 cone filter and have not had any problems with it passing fuel too slowly. As noted above, it won't cure all problems, but it does prevent the worst of the crud from getting into the fuel system.

-dan

·
Registered
817 Posts
One item that does not get mentioned much when it comes to the constant gasoline discussions, is dirty homeowner gas cans. When I work on my neighbor's machines, I always ask to take their gas can. I empty it out for recycling, wash it down inside and out, and make sure all the dirt is gone. I am always amazed at how much gunk is in these cans. I also tell them to use the spout caps, and as mentioned here alot, only buy the amount of gas they can use in a month or 2. And the filters can only help.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of the replies are dead on. I love this site. I want to thank everyone who took a moment to reply. And those who didn't reply Tambien (also). I now have information to continue. Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One item that does not get mentioned much when it comes to the constant gasoline discussions, is dirty homeowner gas cans. When I work on my neighbor's machines, I always ask to take their gas can. I empty it out for recycling, wash it down inside and out, and make sure all the dirt is gone. I am always amazed at how much gunk is in these cans. I also tell them to use the spout caps, and as mentioned here alot, only buy the amount of gas they can use in a month or 2. And the filters can only help.
I'm glad you brought it up. I like clean stuff. I swish out each fuel container before refueling. I'm also careful that all funnels and pour spouts are free of debris. But no matter what, I want to know, where in the **** do all those pieces of grit in the bottom of the container come from ? Always some in there. We all do what we can to keep things sanitary. You brought up a good point and thanks for input.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use the Mr Funnel type filter. ANY fuel coming out of a drum or small container gets filtered... No exceptions. The Mr Funnel type filter comes in a big and small size. Take the small one with you...

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found out, from 42 years of power support work, the only sure way to prevent gummed & corroded carbs in all types of gasoline engines is to run them out of gas.
But gasoline starts to deteriorate when leaving the refinery.[/QUOTE)

Melson, I'm glad you brought that up because I appreciate communicating with an experienced working man. I too have a story. I own a 40 yr old likkity splitter log splitter with a cast iron Kohler engine. I have grown to love this motor. It has to have been built by Caterpiller. It had sat for 10yrs and 2yrs ago I fired it up with a 1/4 tank of 10 yr old fuel and oil. Yes, the fuel tank was yellowed with varnish stain. Not something I would recommend. Just something I did. Fired up on 2nd pull and blowing a slight haze of smoke. Please keep in mind, I am no petroleum engineer. But I have a few "rules of thumb". I keep these things away from my fuel and equipment: weather, oxygen, moisture, metal containers and sunlight. Fuel will last a lot longer than we believe. And again, I do not advocate this method. Just consider individual applications.

I use a Melitta #4 cone filter and have not had any problems with it passing fuel too slowly. As noted above, it won't cure all problems, but it does prevent the worst of the crud from getting into the fuel system.
-dan
I appreciate each and every post to this thread. I enjoy everyone's personnel experiences. Now I have to add, danham, you won the prize. You answered the question. Thank you. There will be a little extra in your Christmas stocking this holiday.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
Diesel and turbine fuel, however, need only a bio additive and will tolerate several years of storage. One diesel GM genset on a mountain top not far from @tabora hadn't been run for close to 20 years and fired up with the original fuel.
But gasoline starts to deteriorate when leaving the refinery.
was it a dd 2 stroke?

·
Registered
124 Posts
@87powershiftx2, yep, a Detroit Diesel. It was the preferred diesel genset up to 300kw. Unstoppable, they are.
Example: had a situation in Acton, MA, where one entire bank of a 12-71 was locked-out due to frozen injector. The other, running bank provided emergency power for two days.
The one in Maine was digital control. It took a lightning strike, took out the controller. I spent 3 days on the mountain--the lightning surge took out nearly every circuit pack. But otherwise those DD's are nuke proof.
From ~300kw to 3 mw we used mostly Solar turbines. Whole different can of issues.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm gonna let you 3 guys have at this. It seems to me you're all a bit more educated on fuel that me. But I'm listening to every word. Thanks for speaking up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are funnels available with a fine mesh filter in the bottom. You would be amazed at what it eventually picks up..

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After weighing everyone's thoughts and advice, I ended up at Ace and picked up 2 screened funnels. The funnels are too big and the screen isn't fine enough. So then I found myself in O'Rilleys Auto parts. For 10 bucks I was able to get a smaller funnel with an automotive type filter in it. As usual, in my typically normal unthinking manner, I bought 2 of those. I wanna warn everyone, "don't let me do your shopping"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts