Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appears I can put E10 in my new Platinum 24 but the dealer told me I would be better off with regular! Very hard to find regular around here. What do you use?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I only run premium with no alcohol added around here it's got red handle on the pump and states right on the the pump NO ALCOHOL added FOR RECREATIONAL use It's more but unless your blowing a football field everyday it's cheaper than screwing up your carb. Put a fuel filter on too. I have 2 gallon gas can that I use just for the mower and blower.forces me to get gas more frequently but then it's always fresh. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Cheapest fuel I can find and add stuff to it. All stations that sell non-ethanol closed or no longer carry it.:( . I buy whatever and put marine sta-bil and, startron and seafoam in it. Everything starts fine and is running well so that's all that matters. Haven't tossed a rod yet. Wish I could buy non-ethanol.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
91 octane non-oxygenated gasoline for small engines and snowmobiles and boats or collector cars. It costs more but it is cheaper than rebuilding you carburetor plus ethanol draws water into it and can cause corrosion too and can rust your gas tank and damage your rubber parts in your carburetor

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
91 octane non-oxygenated gasoline for small engines and snowmobiles and boats or collector cars. It costs more but it is cheaper than rebuilding you carburetor plus ethanol draws water into it and can cause corrosion too and can rust your gas tank and damage your rubber parts in your carburetor
All this I know but if I have no choice I have no choice. That's why the additives.
The stations around here stopped carrying good gasoline.

·
Registered
604 Posts
That's what I run, thankful that both of the gas stations near my house have 91 ethanol free.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Only premium high octane, treated with Seafoam. Contains no ethanol. This is all I use in all of my small engines.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use regular gas with ethanol. If ethanol-free was available near me I would get it. I have however never had any problem with the e-10. I'm very strict on how fast I use the gas. It will only sit for a maximum of 2 months or its put in the car. I also always run the gas completely out of my carbs. Even sometimes just pop them open to let them drain and try to get as much out of the gas tank as possible before storing. It makes it a lot easier to start first time.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to use premium only, in small gas engines. Everyone I tell around here, think that I'm nuts for spending the extra coin on the good stuff.

Now, for the non ethanol stuff, that's a bit tricky to find. And to be honest, it's the one reason that I make sure that I shut the fuel off, to kill the engine. It may not get rid of all the fuel in the bowl, but it does get rid of a lot, and minimizes the potential for problems down the road.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I use premium because it's the only thing in the area that is ethanol free. It's supposed to be 100% pure gas. That said I still add Marine Sta-bil to every 5 gal tank I make up.

If you can't get pure gas and have to get oxygenated, I definitely recommend the Marine Sta-bil. It works best with moisture and alcohol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All this I know but if I have no choice I have no choice. That's why the additives.
The stations around here stopped carrying good gasoline.
X2
My Ariens guy told me that he would use SeaFoam instead of Stabil. In trying to search that idea out, looks like many more people use Stabil. He said there was some additive in Stabil he didn't like. Not sure which one it was.
Around here, regular these days is 10% ethanol. You can get premium that is 10% ethanol as well. The premium is what I have bought in the past but would be glad to buy some without any ethanol in it if it were available. I live in SE Iowa.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Only premium high octane, treated with Seafoam. Contains no ethanol. This is all I use in all of my small engines.
same here......

I know I don't see any benefit to using high octane by using it in these super low compression engines, but it's the only way I can get no ethanol in the fuel around here.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I use Shell V-POWER 91 premium octane,that's what the Ariens salesman told me to use. Just started using SeaFoam also. 2 cap full in 10 liter[2.5 gallon] fuel can,1 cap full in gas tank of the D28+.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I use Shell V-POWER 91 premium octane,that's what the Ariens salesman told me to use. Just started using SeaFoam also. 2 cap full in 10 liter[2.5 gallon] fuel can,1 cap full in gas tank of the D28+.
I'm guessing the only reason they recommended V-Power is because, like here, it's the only grade available w/o ethanol. The added octane gives no added benefit for these low compression engines. If all three grades were ethanol free, you'd want to run 87 octane. The higher the octane the slower the combustion process and therefore the more resistant to detonation it will be. You will get the most power when using the lowest octane gas which will not not cause detonation.

I have to run high octane in my "fun" cars because I have the fuel/timing tables setup as such to where I will see detonation if I don't.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
That "resistant to detonation" is also a very small problem with resistant to starting. If you have an engine that is difficult to start you might notice it's a bit more difficult to start with premium. I can only get premium without the ethanol but I too would gladly switch to regular if I could find it without the ethanol.

The problem I've come across with Sta-bil is the stereotypical guy thing of if an ounce is good three ounces is better thinking. They want to sell product so if they're telling you to use an ounce per ... whatever it's more than enough and adding more just wastes the product and in some cases can cause a problem. Some people have disliked adding Sta-bil as they've found carbs gummed up with a red residue from people using Sta-bil but I believe it's from excessive mixtures.

The "old" red formula is good but the new Marine Sta-bil is better at what we want from it, handling moisture and methanol.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts