Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

When I'm out driving, I am always on the look out for snow blowers amongst other things. Just wondering what fellow members are looking for. I have 5 snow blowers on my top priority list, they are in no particular order Toro, Honda, Ariens, Yamaha and Simplicity. Let's assume the engine is working and the owner is getting rid of it for various reasons like it won't start or needs parts that they don't won't to buy. What say you.., what are your top 5 snow blowers you would take home, if you're so inclined!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I take them all home...fix and flip. My favorites? Ariens ST models, Toro Powershifts, then all older Ariens and Toros, Simplicity, old Snapper, the ones that sell best????MTD and shiny.....

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I have 5 snow blowers on my top priority list, they are in no particular order Toro, Honda, Ariens, Yamaha and Simplicity.
I think my list would be the same.

Though it would be a lucky day indeed for me to find a Honda or Yamaha by the curb! Really, I rarely see blowers curbside around here. Mowers, yes, but snowblowers seem to have too much value for that.

Re-wording the question slightly (assuming you're willing to buy), my shopping list is basically the same. Except I'd probably skip Yamaha, due to it being tougher to get parts for them in the US. I have an Ariens, I had a 60-70's (?) Simplicity, and I'd like to try Honda, and Toro. Simplicity's Power Boost system sounds like a nice feature to me.

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I've never found them by the curb, my area does not get much snow, it is probably why.
But my favorite ones:

1. Honda/Yamaha
2. Ariens 924 series with 14" 6 blade impeller.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
i dont think ive ever seen a sb on the curb, everything else, yes.
you must not look enough or have a truck. i have picked up at least at least 4 in the last 6 months that i remember. if you count some of the ones i have gotten super cheap i have gotten about 7 in the last 6 months. i also pick up many lawn mowers through out the summer.

there is really no brand in particular that i preffer over another. i pick them all up as well and keep the best for my self and sell off what ever ones work good but i don't like. really liking the newest snowblower i spent a bit of money to buy but it has a OHV engine. runs pretty good and awesome on fuel and has lots of throwing power. i think i would have a hard time going back to anything with a flat head after running it

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
I take them all home...fix and flip. My favorites? Ariens ST models, Toro Powershifts, then all older Ariens and Toros, Simplicity, old Snapper, the ones that sell best????MTD and shiny.....
wanna make a deal? i could easily fill a tractor trailer with these freebies out here. perhaps 30-50 in exchange for my favorites.

·
Registered
939 Posts

Would love to find/restore one of those big JDM models that made their way here. WADO, DMC, etc

Hmmmm

MTD is the best selling used blower,

and Budweiser is the best selling beer

Man I just dont know

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Personally I'd grab pretty much any 2 stage blower if the engine had compression. I have not had the opportunity to curb find any. I have picked up some good parts machines at reasonable prices though that worked out to be good for parts at a minimum.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
around here if there was a snowblower at the curb be it a two stage pr single stage the scrappers would take it for the weight

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Not a whole lot of experience on my part, but I keep an eye out for things that other people would want, and don't need a lot of fixing to be usable or sell-able.

Toro, Ariens, Honda . . . maybe an MTD that is exceptional.

Nothing older than mid-1980's as that is when all the safety features started to be added to the machines. As @cranman mentioned, the trick is in selling them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts