Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my new Toro 824 QXE and I'm ready to get it setup for snow. A few questions...

1) Can I add the fuel stabilizer to the gas container as opposed to the tank? Then the whole container is ready to go if my wife or someone else needs to add fuel. May seem like a dumb question but for some reason the guy at the yard equipment place where I bought it said to add it to the tank.

2) I heard higher octane fuel is recommended these days for small engines. Less ethanol. The Toro says not to use gas with more than 10% ethanol. My feeling is the less the better.

3) Do you have a favorite gas container you'd recommend? I have a couple in the shed that I use for tillers and chain saws, but they drip when I use them and the shed smells like fuel a bit because they vent. For the snowblower, I'm going to leave it in the garage all winter and I'm not the only one using it. So, I'd prefer a can with minimal venting and easy for the wife to setup to pour without her gloves smelling like gas.

Thanks for the support! This has proven to be a very helpful forum for my first snowblower purchase.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Q1) Yes, add it to the gas can. Be confident about that. I add it before filling the can, to mix it well during the fill.

Q2) While I cannot advise regarding using a higher octane, I can attest to the merits of using non-ethanol fuel. Consult this site for a location near you: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada. With that said, I buy non-ethanol high test and add 6 oz Seafoam to the 5 gallon can before filling. I never have a problem.

Q3) JustRite Type II Safety Can.
https://www.zoro.com/justrite-type-ii-safety-can-red-17-12-in-5-gal-7250120/i/G2521294/
Expensive. I have four I purchased 10 years ago. I keep them in a plastic storage cabinet with a nitrile glove over the nozzle pointed up. Cabinet is vented and it keeps sawdust off of the cans. I'm a fanatic on gas and gas cans. I even bought the kit to test non-ethanol to be sure I get what I pay for.

Good luck!

Have my new Toro 824 QXE and I'm ready to get it setup for snow. A few questions...

1) Can I add the fuel stabilizer to the gas container as opposed to the tank? Then the whole container is ready to go if my wife or someone else needs to add fuel. May seem like a dumb question but for some reason the guy at the yard equipment place where I bought it said to add it to the tank.

2) I heard higher octane fuel is recommended these days for small engines. Less ethanol. The Toro says not to use gas with more than 10% ethanol. My feeling is the less the better.

3) Do you have a favorite gas container you'd recommend? I have a couple in the shed that I use for tillers and chain saws, but they drip when I use them and the shed smells like fuel a bit because they vent. For the snowblower, I'm going to leave it in the garage all winter and I'm not the only one using it. So, I'd prefer a can with minimal venting and easy for the wife to setup to pour without her gloves smelling like gas.

Thanks for the support! This has proven to be a very helpful forum for my first snowblower purchase.

Reactions: KiterTodd

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Adding it to the gas can is the best and only way to do it.
add it the empty gas can/container just before you fill it up.
Two benfits:
1. you know how much gas the empty container holds, so you know exactly how much stabilizer to add.
2. adding it to the container, then filling the container with gas at the pump, mixes it all very well.

adding it to the tank on the snowblower is a ridiculous idea, because you never know exactly how much gas is in there.
Your guy at the yard equipment place is clueless.

most grades ALL have ethanol these days, if so, there is no advantage to using premium.
if all your choices have 10% ethanol, then just use the 87 octane, because its the cheapest..there will be no benefit to using premium if the premium also has ethanol.
If you can, look for ethanol-free gas.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

I bought one of these a few years back:

https://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Enviro-Flo-Plus-Gas-Can/dp/B0051XARQ8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1482947759&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Blitz+Enviro-Flo+Plus+Gas+Can+-+1-Gallon

works great! never leaks. I found and bought the same can as the link above, but in the 1-gallon size, so the gas doesn't sit around too long.

one-gallon version:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41rrtiaMHxL.jpg

Scot

·
Registered
166 Posts
Agreed add it only to the gas can, adding it to the tank of the 'blower is absurd and shows that the person telling you this has no idea what they are talking about..
Gas cans, one thing I can say is DO NOT buy the lousy Spectre ones with that horrible spring loaded spout, that ALWAYS leaks. I actually called the company in Canada to complain about them (I bought a bunch of them at West Marine due to Super Storm Sandy being on the way and they were all I could find. I have about 5 of them). She sent me new spouts but they are no better. For a good one look (moderately priced) at the No Spill brand, and for sure check out No Spill Jill ;).....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the tips, thanks!

most grades ALL have ethanol these days, if so, there is no advantage to using premium.
if all your choices have 10% ethanol, then just use the 87 octane, because its the cheapest..there will be no benefit to using premium if the premium also has ethanol.
If you can, look for ethanol-free gas.
The theory I heard is that they use ethanol to cut costs so it is concentrated in the lower octane regular gas they sell the most of. They don't sell as much premium gas so it's not worth putting it there in higher concentrations. As you probably know, all octane levels between "super" and "regular" are just proportional mixes of the two tanks by the gas pump.

That's the theory anyway. Seems to make sense.

On gas cans, I was hoping for a plastic one as opposed to metal.
I actually do have the small one gallon one that was listed. I use it for chain saws. It's pretty good but as I don't store that clear plastic tube on the tank, it's still not exactly what I had in mind. Thinking of the wife here...easy open, pour, close, done.

That said, if I keep the tank full she will hopefully have enough gas to do the driveway. I'm not sure how fast the Toro burns fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
For a good one look (moderately priced) at the No Spill brand, and for sure check out No Spill Jill ;).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6QhDqumItw
Nice! Not only do I like no spill Jill, that can looks like exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks!

Does anyone have these? Ahhhh....who am I kidding. I was impatient and just bought the 2.5 gallon version on Amazon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My neighbor had two of the no spill cans that he gave to me after he sold his back up generator and bought a whole house unit. He did not know about Jill, however, lol.
I still have old plastic cans from the '80s with real vents. I use one for my 4 stroke machines and the other 2 for my 2 stroke machines. One has a mix of the usual 2 stroke oil + gas for the Echo stuff and Husky chain saw, the other is for the Toro 2 stroke which is supposed to use the NMMA TCW-3 2 stroke oil (but can run on the Echo oil as well).

There is a way, you can...HMMM....modify....the EPA style cans....using....hmmmm spouts.....for water jugs....if you search round on the 'net....to get rid of the infernal leaky EPA spouts.....it involves a new spout....and adding a vent.....

·
Registered
668 Posts
I use a 5 gallon plastic can just for storage. I use only a cap to close the can. No spout or any type or pouring. Pour from a 5 gallon can? Are you kidding me? I pour in to the machine from 2 different 2 1/2 gallons Eagle cans. I fill all 3 at the beginning of the season. When the 2 2 1/2 gallon cans are empty, I syphon out of the 5 gallon storage can in to the 2 1/2 gallons. When I refill them I only go about 3/4's of the can because it is easier to pour.

My sno thro tank is a little less than 1 gallon. During a fairly good size storm, I will use maybe 3/4's of a tank with my 342CC.

I use 93 octane with Startron and every now and then I add a little Seafoam.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Good idea. I been workin' harder .... Crud, I just bought 2 new JustRite 5 gal cans with 1" nozzles. Come with 10 year warranty though!

. Pour from a 5 gallon can? Are you kidding me? I pour in to the machine from 2 different 2 1/2 gallons Eagle cans. I fill all 3 at the beginning of the season.

·
Registered
103 Posts
First off if you can get ethanol free fuel buy that. Then you shouldn't need a fuel stabilizer. I'm lucky enough to have a ready supply of ethanol free fuel in both 89 and 91 octane at my favorite station. I keep a 5 gallon generic gas can full year 'round. I use it enough in the summer and winter that the fuel never sits very long. When your snowblowing season is over simply run your machine out of gas. Then refill with fresh gas before the start of your next season. I've never had an issue with any of my 2 or 4 stroke small engines using this method. If you think the gas in your can is going to sit too long, put in your car or truck tank. It'll be diluted with enough fresh gas that it won't be an issue. If all you can get is E10 then you'll need to use a stabilizer. Seafoam is not recommended for fuel storage as it's an ethanol based formula. Needless to say adding Seafoam to any gas increases the percentage of ethanol, so I don't know why anyone would do this.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
You know I've wondered about this. The recommendation came from a small engine genius named Johnny Seifert. He's online selling videos on carb care and repair. I've learned much from him. Granted I did not discuss Sea Foam in non-ethanol fuel; however, he did suggest the use of BP high test with 6 oz Sea Foam per 5 gallon can. Ever since, I have had zero problems. Zero problems makes a believer, particularly after the need to rebuild Honda generator carbs again and again, due to the tiny jets and ethanol doing its thing.

There must be something in Sea Foam that makes the fuel better, or I'd have problems by now, as I had. Mr. Seifert wouldn't steer me wrong, I am certain, and his suggestion has been golden so far, for these 6 years or better.

As I said, however, after paying the premium for non-ethanol premium ... I've wondered about the merits of those 6 ounces per 5 gallons. Everything runs like a champ and starts first pull, even after stored for long periods, and even when I wasn't using non-ethanol. Go figure!

Thanks for your post.

Seafoam is not recommended for fuel storage as it's an ethanol based formula. Needless to say adding Seafoam to any gas increases the percentage of ethanol, so I don't know why anyone would do this.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with the above, I put the stabilizer right into the gas can. In some areas, you can still find ethanol free gas, and in some of those cases, it's only for premium. That would be a reasonable reason to go with premium. In my area, it's all 10% ethanol, and in that case, I go with the regular.

Tomatillo, are you using the Sea Foam in addition to a separate fuel stabilizer? I've seen Sea Foam primarily sold as a fuel system cleaner, and as a stabilizer secondarily. I wonder if the cleaning ability is the real benefit you're seeing, and pure tends to last longer, so you haven't needed a stabilizer.

As for gas cans, I've been buying steel NATO style gas cans, with real NATO spouts. Some have the EPA spouts that are messier, but the real ones vent as you pour.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Wow -- turns out Sea Foam is a phenomenal fuel stabilizer, perfect for, and intended for, fuel storage. All I knew was that it flat out works, when nothing else I tried worked as well. After the recommendation I followed years ago, I understood that firsthand.

I just spoke with the manufacturer and learned much as to how the product performs and why it has worked so well for me, at the ratio I use, which is 6 oz. per 5 gallons.

Firstly, the HUGE misconception is that it is ethanol based. It absolutely is not; therefore, you are not adding ethanol to your non-ethanol fuel.

It has a very small amount of pure IPA in it to preserve pump-fresh flash point, which it does exceptionally well. It's also what is used in fuel driers (dry-gas) to disburse water. I figure this is a very good thing if you've ever opened your fuel cap with fine snow blowing.

The product is an antioxidant and is a solvent to keep the gum from forming. It does this exceptionally well, too.

I don't want to be a Sea Foam commercial. I wondered for a long time about this ethanol myth. It has no ethanol in it, and using it in my non-ethanol fuel keeps the fuel vapors at a pump-fresh flash point and keeps the gum away.

Again, all I know is it has worked tremendously in my Honda gens for the 6 years I've been using it.

It flat out works. Now I have a better understanding why.

Seafoam is not recommended for fuel storage as it's an ethanol based formula. Needless to say adding Seafoam to any gas increases the percentage of ethanol, so I don't know why anyone would do this.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
No. I'm using it as the stabilizer. Previously I used Stabil and it didn't work on the small jets on the Honda generators I was using. They still gummed. Then I switched to PRI-G. Better, but it still gummed up in time. Then the undeniable small engine genius and renowned carburetor master introduced me to Sea Foam for fuel storage. I never looked back, and I haven't had to clean a carb since on machines I fuel with the stuff added.

Thanks, I'll have to check out the NATO cans.

Tomatillo, are you using the Sea Foam in addition to a separate fuel stabilizer? I've seen Sea Foam primarily sold as a fuel system cleaner, and as a stabilizer secondarily. I wonder if the cleaning ability is the real benefit you're seeing, and pure tends to last longer, so you haven't needed a stabilizer.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I (do not) use Seafoam for fuel storage. I use it for keeping the carburator as clean as possible. If I do not use all of the gas through the winter season, what is left over, gets put in to the car in the spring.

Ever since I experienced what Seafoam did for the carburetor on my Tecumseh H-70, it made me a believer.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I (do not) use Seafoam for fuel storage. I use it for keeping the carburator as clean as possible. If I do not use all of the gas through the winter season, what is left over, gets put in to the car in the spring.

Ever since I experienced what Seafoam did for the carburetor on my Tecumseh H-70, it made me a believer.
I'm sort of along those lines, too. Fuel treated to keep carbs clean. According to Brian Miller with Sea Foam, there are three main ingredients in the product. All of them are petroleum derived. They prevent corrosion, clean as a solvent, lubricate and have antioxidant properties.

I attached pictures of the bottom of the fuel caps I replaced. The old ones had white scaly stuff on the bottom of them. You guys have probably seen it. I don't know whether it was corrosion or what, but since the Sea Foam in the gas there is none of that stuff. So I figure that crud that was on the bottom of the gas caps had to flake off and get into the jets and form on a dry fuel bowl. Not anymore. See pics.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Seafoam can be used as a stabilizer.

Stabilize Gas and Diesel Fuels
Stabilizing fuel means to help fuel resist the oxidation and evaporation of petroleum hydrocarbons. Oxidized fuel, known as gum and varnish, is the most common cause of poor engine function. Unlike most other gas and diesel fuel stabilizer products, Sea Foam Motor Treatment is also a high-temp cleaner and upper cylinder lubricant – Sea Foam will dissolve gum and varnish that has ALREADY formed, overcoming lost engine power and function. More, Sea Foam resists fuel evaporation, adds petroleum lubricity and corrosion protection to engine parts, and will hold a fuel’s flashpoint over a long storage period. Sea Foam only contains highly-refined petroleum ingredients. It does NOT have harsh detergent of abrasive chemicals that can harm your engine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Some good info about where to find ethanol-free gasoline here: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

As for the questions, here's my take on them from past experience:

1) Fuel stabilizers are a waste of money. Gasoline, especially premium gasoline with no ethanol (such as Shell premium out here) has a shelf life that extends well beyond any winter season, unless you're in Antarctica. As such, fill a small gas container with ethanol-free premium and forget about adding any other junk to it. Just refill the Toro with unmolested gasoline as it runs out. If there's any gas left over in the can once winter season ends, just dump the rest of it in your car or truck. Repeat for next season.

As for storing your snowblower, always store it DRY (as in no gas in the tank, gas lines or carburetor). The way I do it is that I start the machine, shut off the fuel switch on my fuel line and let it starve to a halt. I then drain all the gas from the tank into a container by disconnecting the fuel line at the tank and dump that gas into my truck as well (which will happily eat it all). Once the Toro's fuel tank is empty and the fuel lines are too, store it for the summer in your shed, etc. Again, no need for "stabilizers" if there's no gas in it to begin with! :)

2) I use higher octane premium with no adverse effects and it keeps my old 1977 carburetor very clean and happy. That's probably because there's no junk ethanol in it, which would leave varnish and gummy deposits in all the tiny fuel passages of the carb. The extra few cents for that premium gas really go a long way!

3) Any proportionately sized gas can will do just fine if you're careful when you refill. Out here in Canada, I use a "Scepter" brand 10L gas can. I fill it up and I usually have 1/4 to 1/2 of it left when spring comes. Into the truck it goes at that point and the container sits empty till next season.

P.S. I also fill my gas can in mid-fall, as winter gas has anti-freezing additives in it that I don't want in my snowblower. I essentially run it on pure summer gasoline, lol!

;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts