Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ST824, a.k.a. 924050. It dates from the early 80'es, Serial number 020608.
Auger quit turning. I have it partially apart, but I can't pull the auger and impeller assembly out and can't figure out what is keeping it from sliding out. The pulley and hub is off, and so is the key and the bearing flange. The auger shaft bearing supports and bushings are also removed. The auger bearing is inside the housing, so why can I not pull the assembly out?
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Gesture Font Rectangle Auto part Illustration

You say you removed the items off the back of the impeller, removed the ends of the auger shaft, but still cant remove the auger assembly from the housing?

Sometimes the housing has to be persuaded slightly to pull the assembly out.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The inside impeller bearing housing with threaded studs (Ariens 00301700 ) can and will rust to the inside of the impeller tube. Usually just tipping the auger face down and everything removed as you say , tapping the impeller shaft end with a block of wood and hammer will cause the assembly to fall out as one heavy unit.
The bearing usually is rusted to the impeller shaft and it can't get past the edge of the bearing housing so it's struggle bus time:).
Do you have an impeller kit on the it? That or even a bent backward impeller tip can catch the inside of the impeller "tube" area. There is a seam/lip where the tube meets the auger bucket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 181437

You say you removed the items off the back of the impeller, removed the ends of the auger shaft, but still cant remove the auger assembly from the housing?

Sometimes the housing has to be persuaded slightly to pull the assembly out.
The inside impeller bearing housing with threaded studs (Ariens 00301700 ) can and will rust to the inside of the impeller tube. Usually just tipping the auger face down and everything removed as you say , tapping the impeller shaft end with a block of wood and hammer will cause the assembly to fall out as one heavy unit.
The bearing usually is rusted to the impeller shaft and it can't get past the edge of the bearing housing so it's struggle bus time:).
Do you have an impeller kit on the it? That or even a bent backward impeller tip can catch the inside of the impeller "tube" area. There is a seam/lip where the tube meets the auger bucket.
I knew that was not the case, as the studs were already almost out of the holes after I used a socket on the outer bearing race to push the bearing down in. Had to do it that way, as there was nothing to grab onto to pull it out. I had already tried the block of wood and a hammer, but not knowing what was keeping it from just "sliding" out, I was hesitant to use too much force. You guys gave me the confidence to try a bigger hammer, and yes, now it is out. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is all apart. The bronze gear is all chewed up. Bought it on Amazon or eBay 3 or 4 years ago when a local repair shop told me the gear was not available any more from Ariens. Probably made in China. Was it poor quality or the wrong lube he used? The worm looks O. K. The inner bearing flange is a bit distorted, so I'll look for a new one, so now I'll buy some parts.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Many of those gear cases were packed with grease from the factory for its life, which by the way, is planned obsolescence.

I, as well as many here, use the "00" grease that is actually more like a thick gear oil, that comes in a quart squeeze bottle, in those non fillable gear cases.

Another reason I like the cast iron fillable gear cases of long ago equipment. .....

Plenty of places for those brass worm gear wear items....

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had good luck with the DTM and Flip replacement gears, at least way more than 3-4 years. Try rolling the auger shaft on a known flat surface (table saw, glass table) and see if it has any run out. If that has a thump in it the gear will wear quickly. What was the issue 4 years ago? Just wore out, or hit something?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had good luck with the DTM and Flip replacement gears, at least way more than 3-4 years. Try rolling the auger shaft on a known flat surface (table saw, glass table) and see if it has any run out. If that has a thump in it the gear will wear quickly. What was the issue 4 years ago? Just wore out, or hit something?
I didn't do the repair myself, so I don't know what it looked like in the guts of it back then.
Runout in the auger shaft is a very plausible issue when I look at the uneven wear on the gear, as close to half of the teeth are in not too bad condition. However, I can not detect any run-out in the shaft by rolling it on as flat a surface as I can find, so I am stumped at explaining that wear pattern.
Looking closely at the worm gear, there is significant wear in the middle (Diameter reduced by close to 2 mm), and I found a small chip at the edge. Since the worm is most likely hardened, the sharp edge of the chipped spot could easily chew on the much softer brass/bronze gear on the auger shaft.
Went to a dealer today and found out that the fan shaft, of which the worm is an integral part, is not available any more. I can buy an assembly containing the two shafts and the gear box for around 350 bucks, but then, for that kind of money, I start thinking in the direction of a new 24 inch Deluxe instead. All the prices are 200 higher than last time I looked. SURPRISE!
For 500 bucks more I can not justify a SHO, as I use the Ariens just for the walkway from driveway to the front porch and in front of the garage doors and barn doors, plus making access to the birdfeeder and the propane tank a little easier.. The rest is taken care of by our New Holland TC30 with a front snow blower. We have a 300 yard driveway and live in the Michigan snow belt.
Will be looking at new ones on Wednesday with SWMBO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had an appointment with the ophthalmologist in Gaylord today and took the opportunity to stop by Lappan, the JD and Ariens dealer. They had a floor full of last year's models at last year's prices. I signed up for a De Luxe 24. The one obvious difference from the new models was the headlight. Guess it is not LED. Does anybody know if there are any other differences? I'd be interested to know.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I think the LED light, ice auger handle size, control panel layout and cosmetics are the only changes

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 11 of 11 Posts