Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first snowblower, an Ariens Platinum 24 SHO. I was going to get another set of shear pins, in addition to the extra two that it came with. Do I go with OEM or aftermarket, warranty issues or quality issues? Is there anything else that I might want to have on hand, for example a set of belts? I'm sure this will open up a can af smart ass remarks but please try to refrain. Also sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
I don't see any problem asking this. So this is new with warranty? i doubt you will have any issues for several years ( knock on wood ) The dealer may have issue concerning the warranty if you make any modifications so I would ask the dealer about how you would void the warranty.Basically they do not want the owner to do anything while under it. ( except replacing shear and basic maintenance )

i think you should probably change the oil after the first 10-15 hours of operation with regular oil specified by the manufacture . Is this a tracked unit or wheeled? On Honda track units the drive pins are shear pins also. I keep a bunch of extra auger pins as well as a couple extra impeller pins.

Since it is a new unit not sure if extra belts and cables are necessary.Not sure what fails on your Ariens unit. I only have very old Honda's so I keep extra belts and cables for them. i plan for almost any contingency including having a back up snowblower if needed but that's just me. After shovelling until I was 55 and having a snowblower for the last 8 years I really don't want to go back to a shovel.

Owners manual is handy as well as the official shop repair manual with all the diagrams , specifications , etc. I consider both worth their weight in gold.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would keep at least shear pins, I use a spare blower or two instead of having parts extra. I hate trying to repair a blower in a snowstorm or in the dark.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
OEM belts, shear pins , a headlight bulb, and a spare plug. other than that, the tools and info to do the fix.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
LOL, I am fortunate enough to just grab another blower as well …. even if I brake a shear pin, I swap.... then fix it some other nice day.

A lot of times I swap them half way in a storm, only to work some of my parked ones.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Agreed with the comments above. I bought extra belts when I got my 1st used machine, and still have never had a belt go out, so that seems unnecessary on a new machine. Get the shear pins, maybe a spark plug, and definitely read and know the user manual before something goes wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. Yes this is a brand new machine and has the full warranty I'm definitely getting extra shear pins. Keeping everything OEM for the term of the warranty anyway. The only mods I may do will be swapping for poly-skids adding a weight bar if need. Where does one get a repair manual? Will the dealer sell one to me? Anyway thanks again.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Like others, I keep a set of belts, a spark plug, and a friction disk on hand for my sort-of new Ariens Deluxe 24. But that's more to keep brother Murphy away than any realistic expectation of needing them.

And I also have a back-up snow blower.

·
Registered
235 Posts
With my luck these last two years, I keep wheel pins and auger belts in stock.

·
Registered
338 Posts
OEM. I've had my share of not-quite-right aftermarket.

That being said, spare shear pins, a box of air-activated heat packs, a couple of jiggers of 12 year-old Glenfiddich single-malt scotch, a jigger of Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth and a couple dashes of Angostura Bitters.

Not in that order.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow .... :icon-dancingparty:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I currently am in the process of finishing my forth personal blower lol yes I’m a SB addict lolbut the one I’m fixing will put my other big boy for sale if it proves itself lol Anyhow it seems the only parts that always fail are the ones I don’t have spares for lol I am down to only needing two sizes sheer pins but keep a variety of different pins on hand for repair jobs

·
Registered
860 Posts
OEM. I've had my share of not-quite-right aftermarket.

That being said, spare shear pins, a box of air-activated heat packs, a couple of jiggers of 12 year-old Glenfiddich single-malt scotch, a jigger of Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth and a couple dashes of Angostura Bitters.

Not in that order.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow .... :icon-dancingparty:
Don't forget that gallon bottle of Yukon Jack just in case you get snowed in for a day or two.
Make sure it is a FULL bottle, you don't want to run out in an emergency.
Everything else sounds good.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I don't fix my snowblowers in the snow, just swap them out and wait for a better day.

Keep shear pins.

However since I fix snowblowers for others, I have belts and carburetors, the most common belts and carbs for Tec 5, 8, & 10.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too have a back up machine ... nothing worse than having an issue on a cold snowy night and you have to start turning wrench’s at 11 pm on a machine full of ice and snow. A share a pin is simple enough but a belt or bad friction disc isn’t something I want to do in a rush to keep the driveway clear.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
shovels , ice breaker bar .first aid kit . extra gloves , bottled water .

when i go on a snow removal job I bring tons of stuff. extra blower , tools , shovels ,water , cell phone , pry bar ( sucked up firewood that was jammed pretty good ) always better to have too much stuff that you never need rather than needing something and not having.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts