Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a generator to power my house when the power goes out. And to power a cement mixer when I am mixing mortar to rebuild a cracked and leaking mortar pond which is a thousand feet away from electrical service but which I can put in the back of a four wheel drive to take to the work site.

I like diesel, but my guess is that there is a high price premium for diesel which makes it out of reach for me.

I am considering Harbor Freight units including the one below:

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/8750-max-starting7000-running-watts-13-hp-420cc-generator-carb-with-gfci-outlet-protection-63088.html

I am also considering this unit:

I would also be open to buying used on my local craigslist. Any things to look for or to look out for?

I have also posted this in our sister forum, but I have come to kind know and to trust you guys.

So any experience? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The beast with 12,000 watts will mean you will never run out of power, the dual fuel I have never had much to do with but it could be handy if with out power for several days. I like it for that reason.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
we bought an Onan 2400 from costco years ago.

works great. runs about 8 hours on a tank of gas. we could run our fridge/freezer , a light , the TV , and a couple other small items without a problem.

next time we will get at least a 5000w generator. probably from costco because of their no hassle return policy.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

We have fire problems all over the state. It is when not if we have them on Echo Summit. There is 400% more trees in the forest than historically. There is more debris on the forest floor than ever. It just takes a match or a mistake. And that kind of fire is not "natural" it is an financial disaster and an ecological disaster.

The US Forest Service has mismanaged the forests for over 40 years.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we bought an Onan 2400 from costco years ago.

works great. runs about 8 hours on a tank of gas. we could run our fridge/freezer , a light , the TV , and a couple other small items without a problem.

next time we will get at least a 5000w generator. probably from costco because of their no hassle return policy.
Thank you! I never would have thought of costco for generators. Their prices for new compare with the craigslist prices for used!

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Thank you! I never would have thought of costco for generators. Their prices for new compare with the craigslist prices for used!
depends on what your needs are. we live in the same area as you and the 2400 watt was fine for us. we had a lot of power outages last winter.

however, we have a propane water heater so OK there. Plus wood heat and we cooked on the wood stove with no problem.

we actually like the power outages. it was pretty quiet in the neighborhood and really dark. the only noises were other generators. we watched a lot of good movies on our DVD and VHS players and NO commercials.

we'll probably get the Costco Champion generator for I think $800 or wait until it goes on sale which it does a couple time a year for $150-200 off. I think it is 7000 watt. we could run the whole house on that.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The 420cc engine used on the Harbor Freight model you mention is used on lots of other makes/models, very popular. There's no idle control on it so its WFO all the time, something to consider.

My older "ETQ" uses the same engine and it ran like a champ for Sandy in 2012 for 60 hours (it hasn't been needed since, knock on wood) https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=SvsmLIhTzu0

IMO buy a popular, proven name. Generac, Honda, Yam. Champion and Predator are gaining fast and probably very similar. ETQ and a few others are now defunct and nobody will touch them. Parts are a plenty though, lots of crossover with the chinese stuff.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
yes, but not sure when it will go on sale. i don't save the coupon books anymore.

you can order it online or the store nearest you if you wait for sale. we have brought back stuff we ordered online for a full refund.

we bought a recliner online and had it for a year and a half and the frame broke. we brought it to the reno store and they gave us a full refund no questions asked.

maybe you can call or contact the headquarters and they can tell you when they will have a special on it.

we are looking at others also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Amps x Volts = Watts.

You are aware that the big Predator weighs 200 pounds, right?

How many amps to run your mixer? You might be better off buying two different machines. If that mixer is 7 amps, you can run it with the 700/900 watt generator, which is about 100 bucks. ( It might not be allowed in California, because it's a two stroke 50:1 oil mix fuel.

Do you have a firm budget?

In terms of used, it's always a roll of the dice. However, don't EVER buy one that: Runs good. Just needs a tune up/carb/pull starter/tinkering/isn't making electricity, probably something simple/Ran good when Grampa parked it 15 years ago. There are a lot of 15 to 20 year old sets out there. Doesn't make them any better than what's new, now. Those old flathead motors make more noise than a well tuned Saturn 5 Rocket. And they are dirty burning gas hogs. Fuel consumption can be critical, sometimes.

Take some time and think about propane instead of gas. Propane will store forever and not go sour.

Duromax makes a couple of big sets that use either fuel. Propane is tough to light when it's cold. The big Duromax will start on gas and can then be switched over to propane, once the machine warms up. It's a switch on the machine. Most hybrids are more involved when changing from one fuel to another.

There are better alternatives in the Inverter type generators, but way more expensive.

I run this place with a Predator700/900, a Duromax 3,000/4,000, and a Power Pro ( Wen ) 5,000/5,500. The Predator is 43 pounds. The Duromax is 95/100 pounds, and the power Pro is about 175 pounds. It is a versatile set up. The Duromax was on sale in July 2016 for $209.00 delivered to 6 feet from my garage. I had to buy the wheel kit for about 40 dollars. About a week later I got the Power Pro through Craigslist for $150.00. A new carb, gas line, and fuel shut off/filter ( about $85.00 for all the parts ) and I was in business.

Good luck. I would try and sneak into it. Get what you need for the mixer and something else for the house.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got a question regarding the fuel consumption, if two generators from the same product line, one is rated at 5500W and another is rated at 7500W, does the 7500W one consumes more fuel if both of them are subject to the same load (say 2000W of load)?

·
Registered
842 Posts
thats a good ?. yet sometimes the answer is crazy
i run a 16kw generac whole house on propane .generac specs say 6 gals a hour yet with irene and few after. it ran 4 and 5 days straight 24 hours a day and used only 100 and 125 gals.that was a 500 gal tank fill before and refill after by the propane company saying what we used
makes me think those smaller units might run a day on a 20 pound tank

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amps x Volts = Watts.
. . .
I run this place with a Predator700/900, a Duromax 3,000/4,000, and a Power Pro ( Wen ) 5,000/5,500. The Predator is 43 pounds. The Duromax is 95/100 pounds, and the power Pro is about 175 pounds. It is a versatile set up. The Duromax was on sale in July 2016 for $209.00 delivered to 6 feet from my garage. I had to buy the wheel kit for about 40 dollars. About a week later I got the Power Pro through Craigslist for $150.00. A new carb, gas line, and fuel shut off/filter ( about $85.00 for all the parts ) and I was in business.

Good luck. I would try and sneak into it. Get what you need for the mixer and something else for the house.
I like your idea of trying to "sneak into it"! I am pretty good at this point with small engines, so I may look for a small to medium used unit or a new relatively inexpensive Duromax unit.

"You cannot convert watts to amps, since watts are power and amps are coulombs per second (like converting gallons to miles). HOWEVER, if you have at least least two of the following three: amps, volts or watts then the missing one can be calculated. Since watts are amps multiplied by volts, there is a simple relationship between them.

However, In some engineering disciplines the volts are more or less fixed, for example in house wiring, automotive wiring, or telephone wiring. In these limited fields technicians often have charts that relate amps to watts and this has caused some confusion. What these charts should be titled is "conversion of amps to watts at a fixed voltage of 110 volts" or "conversion of watts to amps at 13.8 volts," etc.
. . .
The conversion of Watts to Amps at fixed voltage is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts."

I think I can run all my power tools including the mixer with 20 Amps of 110 Volt electrical power. So, am I correct that 2800 watts/110 volts = 25.45 Amps? If so, I can sneak in pretty cheaply!

Where did you buy your Duromax 3000/4000 from?

I have found this one for $269:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Duromax-4-000-Watt-Air-Cooled-OHV-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-XP4000S/203729627

But I would prefer the $209 on sale which you paid!

This is what I found about Duromax generators so far:

"Distinguishing Features Of DuroMax Portable Generators:

Every DuroMax generator is built with cast iron sleeves.
Every single model matches ETL & MTL standards.
Flexible warranty plan that is built into the cost of the product and can be extended beyond their normal one or two year period.
Direct parts and component shipping anywhere in the world.
EPA Certification and CARB only certificate on a few select models."

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
E350 let us know what you end up with as I am getting more interested as a smaller one would work better for me fridge freezer back up as we have natural gas heat and a free standing NG stove simmaler to a wood stove for back up heat.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hanky: I have been looking through craigslist locally and in the surrounding areas and will likely buy a Generac used. There are some garage queens which are year 2000 vintage (remember the computer crisis which was going to send us all back to the stone age?).

One intriguing thing which you may want to consider (which I will not due to my messy outdoor power tool needs) is to buy two of the RV-type sized (2000 Watt) Honda's and a "parallel connector cord" to place them in parallel to increase the Wattage when and if needed. You get the quietness of a single small unit and its gasoline efficiency and its portability but also can increase its Wattage when necessary.

I would prefer diesel, but can't afford or justify it. I would prefer gas/propane, but only the newer units have it. I would prefer electric start, but really only the newer units have it. So I will likely buy a clean used pull-start, 5000 Watt continuous output (6250 peak) Generac.

With respect to propane. We do not have natural gas to either of our places, so we rely on propane for our furnaces. Because heat can be critically important during heavy snow storms when the roads may be closed, and because our propane tanks are of limited capacity and I prefer only to have them filled in the Summer when prices are more than a $1 less per gallon and because getting the propane truck near to the tank is almost impossible in the Winter, I am reluctant to use propane to power a generator but would like to have it as an option for a future generator.

What do you guys think of my plans to buy a clean used pull-start Generac?

It will not have GCFI (which I can put at the end of my extension cord or which my house plugs already have), so an older generator will have one less thing to fail in the generator.

It will not have low-oil shutoff, which none of my 4-cycle small engines or larger automobile engines do. So an older generator will have one less sensor to fail in the generator.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Myself I would not have a problem with a used one, as they are not like a ATV that can be abused. Change oil, air filter and should just like new, as several friends bought in 2000 and I am sure they do not have 2 hrs of use on them in 17 years. I am looking at used as well now that you have my mind in gear about back up power.

Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand that with a cement mixer the sound of the generator doesn't matter much....

But when using a generator for power outages for the home, or say camping, I find having a very quite generator is nice. Take a look at sites that show decibels of generators if that sounds like something important to you. (I went with a Yamaha due to them being one of the quietest generators there is.)

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts