Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeing that most in here have bitchin blowers
I assume most have a generator as well

What generators have good reputation (besides honda)
I'm most concerned with voltage spikes and thd dont want to blow any
circuit boards on my furnace or anything.

I know several people who have a champion and are happy with them
even though they are not advertised as true sign wave machines or invertor
they have never had any issues with electronics either.

guess i could get the dranetz from work put a load on it and see how clean it is.
i thought generacs were good machines but wow are there alot of negative reviews.

any generator advice or thoughts are welcome.
:feedback:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
admittedly know very little about gensets , but couldnt you use a good UPS in conjunction with an average gen to help protect sensitive electronics ?

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I got 1 of those GENERACS never had a problem with runs like a champ. runs the whole wide house 17,000 watts of power.:wavetowel2::eek:k::eek:k::icon-hgtg:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Neighbor has a Generac that seems to do the job well. I know he operates his tv and cable boxes along with his coal stove with it and has not burned anything out. It's just a 5k watt portable but it does the job in an emergency. I have a 5000 watt 2006 model Honda that has no fancy inverter and I just operate like normal. I think as long as you stick with major brands you'll be fine

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a portable Homelite 5.7 kw with Yamaha motor, and I converted it to run on (dual fuel) natural gas, which is piped into my house from the utility company. It runs like a champ on natural gas, but I could still use gasoline if I want (I don't). No worries about running out of gas, or stale ethanol. I have a quick connection to a supply pipe, where I also can have a barbeque hooked up. I use a long heavy gauge cord to an outside 240vac connection that leads inside to a manual transfer switch next to my main breaker panel. There the 240v is split out into 2x 120vac supporting 12 of the circuits I decided are the most critical. No problems with motors (sump pump, fridge, boiler water circulation pump for hot water heat) or sensitive electronics (LED lights, computer , microwave , stereo/TV). Total investment approximately $1500 .

As good as this sounds , the cons are:
***Its loud***
It needs me to set up and start (Possible phone support for my wife, but it would push her tolerance limits)
My transfer switch lets me run12 essential circuits but is not able to run all, or the central AC.

Automatic whole house generator is the way to go if you can afford it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
One thing you'll find out is that the quieter generators (inverter models) that can run 240vac are as expensive as whole house generators ($3500+). The difference is installed cost, but whole house with auto start is the way to go if you are shopping in that price range.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thinkin I would like around a 7000 watt one so most of the time it will be
running around 1/2 capacity
From what I read the cheaper generators start to get dirty power near max capacity.
I thought about putting a ups in front of my furnace when using the generator to
protect the electronics as it is a brand new RUUD 97% furnace.
I really dont want to spend much more then 1000 or 1200 cdn on the generator.

I also plan to get a 6 or 10 circuit switch so the wife can just plug it
in fire it up and switch the load.

would love a honda invertor but for the price and the 4 times a yr it would get used
I think I will try a cheaper chinese one.
Preferably from Costco so I can return without a hassle if it breaks.

Going to look at some dealers that sell blowers and generators try to get a better deal

thanks for replies

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
One thing you'll find out is that the quieter generators (inverter models) that can run 240vac are as expensive as whole house generators ($3500+). The difference is installed cost, but whole house with auto start is the way to go if you are shopping in that price range.
If you DIY it isn't very expensive a'tall. Just the cost of materials... Piece of good wiring, breaker and a cutout switch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't own a generator yet, but have been looking at them for a long time. I think I want a 1-2kW inverter unit for future camping and tailgating use, but I like the idea of a larger models that could be plugged into the house panel through an interlock kit. My house is an older one with a maxed out 100A panel, so I plan to upgrade service to 200A soon and make provisions for an interlock, and 50-100A service into the garage for welding/compressor/possible electric car.

I estimated a 5-10kW unit would be adequate for emergency house use. I've read the same thing that the output can get a little dirtier when closer to the power limit. Are you looking to do a transfer switch or interlock to connect to your house?

If you're just looking for emergency use, at around 3-4kW in the ~$1000 price range, I would possibly get two smaller inverter units and parallel them when needed, or just run them separately as redundancy. Costco used to have the Yamaha powered Smarter Tools inverter generator, but I don't see it on the site any more. There's a bunch of roughly 2000W inverter units on Amazon that you could parallel together for just around $1000 with a parallel kit.

Or, Costco has the 3.1kW peak inverter Champion unit for $700, and is dual fuel ready for another $300.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100302560.html
http://www.costco.com/.product.100284958.html

Let us know what you end up with!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Anybody have recommendations for a good interlock? I have just plugged it in to an outlet and turned off the power at the panel to prevent backfeeding to the power company to keep the lineman working on the downed lines safe.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a pair of Honda EU2000i inverters. They were a life saver for the 11 days without power from Hurricane Sandy.
One huge advantage it that they sip gas. My gasoline usage was less than 2 gallons a day which was key since there was almost no gasoline available. The gas stations had no power and could not pump gas!

With my 2 little Hondas wired in tandem, I was able to pretty much run my whole house. The gas furnace has a 1/2 hp blower, and only uses a few amps. We were able to run the fridge, dishwasher, washer & dryer, lights, TV, etc.

What ever you end up with, get yourself a Kill-A-Watt for 20 bucks. The Kill-A-Watt lets you measure and record the actual power used by any 110 volt appliance. When you read the recommendations from the generator companies, they all say you need 15 amps to run a refrigerator. My fairly new French door fridge with automatic ice maker draws a maximum of only 4 amps.

ETA: google search the Kill-A-Watt - I can't post a link.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I have a pair of Honda EU2000i inverters. They were a life saver for the 11 days without power from Hurricane Sandy.
One huge advantage it that they sip gas. My gasoline usage was less than 2 gallons a day which was key since there was almost no gasoline available. The gas stations had no power and could not pump gas!

With my 2 little Hondas wired in tandem, I was able to pretty much run my whole house. The gas furnace has a 1/2 hp blower, and only uses a few amps. We were able to run the fridge, dishwasher, washer & dryer, lights, TV, etc.

What ever you end up with, get yourself a Kill-A-Watt for 20 bucks. The Kill-A-Watt lets you measure and record the actual power used by any 110 volt appliance. When you read the recommendations from the generator companies, they all say you need 15 amps to run a refrigerator. [email protected] fairly new French door fridge with automatic ice maker draws a maximum of only 4 amps.

Amazon link below
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kill+a+watt+power+meter&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31588866917&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8243425533948955748&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1018611&hvtargid=kwd-2230203992&ref=pd_sl_2bnqn8w8r8_b

·
Registered
397 Posts

What ever you end up with, get yourself a Kill-A-Watt for 20 bucks. The Kill-A-Watt lets you measure and record the actual power used by any 110 volt appliance. When you read the recommendations from the generator companies, they all say you need 15 amps to run a refrigerator. My fairly new French door fridge with automatic ice maker draws a maximum of only 4 amps.

How did you connect the hondas to your house power?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a back feed. There used to be an electric heated hot tub on the deck so the wiring, circuit breaker, and outdoor disconnect were already in place. I like having the outdoor disconnect because there is a male plug to connect to the inverters. If the breaker inside were switched on, then the male plug would be hot. I work with industrial electronics and electrical equipment so I have a special appreciation for redundant safeties.

I got a good preview for Hurricane Sandy from the Nor'easter one year earlier when we lost power for 9 days. I was able to borrow a small Coleman 1800 watt generator which was just enough to keep the fridge cool and the furnace warm. Having extension cords snaking around the house was awful.

After the Nor'easter I did my research and decided on the 2 eu2000i, 1 standard & 1 companion. I got the parallel kit, and the 30 amp plug and the backfeed interlock.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a Generac LP3250 that runs off of 20 pound gas grill propane tanks. I modified it to accept two 20 or 30 pound tanks. I can get 18-20 hours of run time with two 20 lb bottles. It's not a huge generator, but it has enough to run our refrigerator, well pump and furnace (hot water heater). That's enough to make life with the wife and 2 kids tolerable during an outage! I have nearly 100 hours on it after 4 years and really like it.
I also have a 21 year old Craftsman 2,500 watt unit that has a Tecumseh engine that runs great. I modified that one to use a 6 gallon boat fuel tank, so it'll go over 20 hours on a tank. I don't use that old beast much anymore though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still a Lookin
Was leaning towards the Champion 100203 11250/9500
Local costco has them in stock
Only issue I have is just bout everything I own has electronic in it
From my new 97% Ruud furnace down to my dlink router
Mostly worried about the furnace water heater and fridge all have electronics.
I realize an invertor should produce cleaner power but from sounds of
the genertors in my subdivision non are invertors
and I have never heard of any one having an issue.
How clean are the newer Generators with AVR's? sounds like most use them.
My second more paranoid choice is a Kipor ig6000h but it is 3x the price
and for as often as it will get used, probably 5 times a year not sure it is worth it.
But one blown circuit board or more would make the kipor well worth it.

I do have access to a dranetz power meter was thinking of getting the Champion from
Costco, loading it up and measuring the power delivered.

So guess I have a few questions
How good are the auto voltage regulators in the Champion? hard to find a bad Champion review.
Do you really need an invertor gen with newer generators having
built in voltage regulation, the generator would only be about 60% loaded?
How reliable is Kipor (never heard of them?)

Any thoughts advise would be appreciated

1 - 20 of 37 Posts