Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Minus the mtd but Ariens made blowers for other companies including JD so it really was a Ariens painted green.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Minus the mtd but Ariens made blowers for other companies including JD so it really was a Ariens painted green.

Yeah, I know I saw one other one, I couldn't remember the name, MTD just stuck in my mind, but you're right, that wasn't them. So my search for a tall chute continues :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Back again, this time I replaced the axle bushings. I noticed the left side was a bit wobbly and when I finally got the axle apart, I found this:

Ironically, the piece to the right is what happened as I was trying to remove it because it was so brittle. It had worn down completely on one side and luckily it hadn't worn through to the retainer. It was so stuck in I had to use a hacksaw blade to make a small cut so I could remove it and even then it did not want to come out. I then sanded the bushing retainer with some 80 grit and down to a 400 grit, this made the bushing slide and turn like it was new. I also added some axle grease to both ends just in case. Just pushing it around feels better, it might be a placebo effect, but it does feel different.

Next was just an additional thing, I found out my particular engine has a fuel shutoff valve upgrade available, so I took full advantage of it.

The whole kit comes with the shut off valve, a filter, two pieces of hose, and hose clamp, it looks like this. It simply installs under the fuel tank, then runs the valve to an opening in the trim piece which is covered by a black sticky cover that you just remove, then runs 90 degrees to the carb. You do have to keep your old fuel line and cut it down to make the turn like you see here.

Just another shot of the valve installed. I did have to trim the bottom of the key because it would catch on the plastic trim at the bottom when turning the fuel on. Otherwise it's working fine.

Another thing I did to the engine itself was to loosen the throttle linkage, which is also under the fuel tank. It was really super stiff and I had to use a spring in line on the throttle cable in order to give it that extra push to get it full throttle, but after removing the tank and seeing the linkage, I just loosened the nut a few turns and now my throttle cable has no issue pushing the level. You can also see my afro-engineered cable holder that I salvage off a riding mower. It works perfect when mounted with the bolt that holds the trim plate on. One of these days I'll replace that rusted screw :D

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Great job repowering this old beast. Your MacGyver skills are impressive.
So how did the machine perform this past winter? Did you notice a big improvement in performance with the new engine?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Great job repowering this old beast. Your MacGyver skills are impressive.
So how did the machine perform this past winter? Did you notice a big improvement in performance with the new engine?
Ironically, I didn't hardly get to use it because we got so little snow it couldn't be called winter. We got more rain than anything (that's Michigan for ya). For what few times I did get to use it, everything seemed to run fine, but I developed a problem with the carb that I'm still trying to figure out. It doesn't seem to want to get fuel even though I have fuel in the line all the way to the carb. Go figure, brand new engine and it has a bad carb.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Is the float bowl oriented correctly so the float has free movement? Does the float bowl have a separate drain that allows a continuous flow at a steady rate?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Any chance the fuel filter you installed is restricting full fuel flow to the carb? Flow maybe enough for initial start up and running (bowl and fuel line is full) but not enough to keep bowl full while engine running after several minutes. If you remove the fuel line from the carb, do you get continuous fuel flow (for 20 seconds or so) ?
I have heard of some people having issues with these cheap inline filters.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I don't think it's the new filter, it's just one of those one with the metal mesh inside and I checked to make sure it was clear. I did have a problem over the winter that it suddenly stalled and wouldn't start again, but I can hit it with starting fluid and it fires right up, so there is definitely something wrong with the carb.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Yes definitely sounds like a carb issue then, may need a thorough cleaning and inspection as per Town's suggestion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, it might not be the carb, I think I'm somehow pinching a fuel line, the one right at the carb to the filter. Looks like I'm gonna have to delete the filter. Oh well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Finally got around to fixing the issue. It seems the carb did not like the fuel filter I had installed, even though the kit came from Briggs specifically for that engine. Weird. Oh well, who cares as long as it's running, right? :D

41 - 51 of 51 Posts