Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of youse full time wrench turners/burners fix those things on the Down low. I know Coby7 fixes them oot there in Canada. but he is MIA from this place and to ship it through Canadian customs might take an act of congress these days.not to mention what it would cost to get there and back. I got 1 that needs help BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!! I put new stepper motors in it but nothing happens when it is powered up. the lights and everything else works just not the gauges. not even my jet mechanic next door can figure this 1 oot. and when it comes to circuit boards. I am in the Dark ages on those things.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
:surprise:Speedo and cluster should not be used in the same sentence!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Simple fix for me but I'm here you're there. Customs is usually no problem if you declare it as out for warranty repair. But there is a guy in Texas that does these like me. Let me try to find his phone number...

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
i believe it is a 04 . dang gm stepper motors
But problem isn't the stepper motors, it's the stepped up power supply that's not working. Every voltage is derived from this regulated voltage; 5 volts for integrated circuits, 12 volt for lighting and motors, 40 volts for PRND321 display and 100 volts for odometer luminescent display.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
But problem isn't the stepper motors, it's the stepped up power supply that's not working. Every voltage is derived from this regulated voltage; 5 volts for integrated circuits, 12 volt for lighting and motors, 40 volts for PRND321 display and 100 volts for odometer luminescent display.
Somehow that reminds me of the Apollo 13 dilema where the oxygen generator in one module was different than the other and they needed to science the heck out of it to make it work. I'm guessing I might know where those engineers ended up :devil:
Hopefully there is a good reason they just had to use multiple voltages.

I haven't seen the back of a dash in a long time. What do they use stepper motors for ??

Todd, have you made sure you have power to the dash with a test light or meter ?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It's because different components need different voltages and if they didn't regulate it the background lighting would flicker with battery voltage level depending on alternator charging rate. The stepper motors are used to point the gauge needle at the right spot. They step down or up depending on the info the computer deciphers from the GMLan signal.

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Somehow that reminds me of the Apollo 13 dilema where the oxygen generator in one module was different than the other and they needed to science the heck out of it to make it work. I'm guessing I might know where those engineers ended up :devil:
Hopefully there is a good reason they just had to use multiple voltages.

I haven't seen the back of a dash in a long time. What do they use stepper motors for ??

Todd, have you made sure you have power to the dash with a test light or meter ?
There is power it lights up and the turn signals and the shift light for the manny tranny work. the odometer works thank heavens for that. all the back lighting lights up. just none of the gauges works. like the speedo, tach, oil, temp, volts and fuel. but the low fuel light still works.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I looked for the number but my cell crashed hard last month and I lost all contacts. He usually calls me once in a while for help, when he does I will save him again to my contacts. Sorry! How good are you with a soldering iron?

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked for the number but my cell crashed hard last month and I lost all contacts. He usually calls me once in a while for help, when he does I will save him again to my contacts. Sorry! How good are you with a soldering iron?
Not real good my paws are not as steady as they once were.

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know you have a thread on this subject. but all the pics are now history due to something with photobucket.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Yeah photobucket wants money now for us to post from their site. If you're stuck you can send it with the exchange rate you might be ahead.

·
Registered
842 Posts
that's crazy, makes me thankful i was VW/Aud/Porsche all the way to factory dsm 12 volts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts