Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Ariens 1028 (model 924116) that is currently undergoing some repair and "deeper maintenance" and I need parts. Among these are the bearings for the wheels and the bearing at the front-most portion of the shaft that drives the augers. $100 for three bearings seems fairly excessive, but that's what I have been finding through online searches so far.

Does anyone have a site that consistently offers better prices on these kinds of parts? The machine is worth repairing because of the overall general condition and the Tecumseh motor, but I'd like to control the costs a bit more if I'm able.

I'm also curious if anyone has any sage advice of parts that should be replaced as long as the machine is "torn down this far" that I maybe wasn't considering.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Myself, I use multiple part sources off the web, with most all my parts coming from the Amazon site, but many others, all depending what I am looking for.

Also have used Searspartsdirect, Parts Tree, Repairclininc, Jackssmallengines, as well as other places, according to the specific part I am looking for, including just local brick and places.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Myself, I use multiple part sources off the web, with most all my parts coming from the Amazon site, but many others, all depending what I am looking for.

Also have used Searspartsdirect, Parts Tree, Repairclininc, Jackssmallengines, as well as other places, according to the specific part I am looking for, including just local brick and places.
I am going to put a call into a local shop today and have explored Jack's already. I hadn't considered searching the part numbers in Amazon but will try that, too.

Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My local shop was willing to match all prices on Jack's. They had a number of the parts on hand and the few that they did had to order only took a few days (no shipping charge either). Not all shops are willing to match online pricing, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My local shop was willing to match all prices on Jack's. They had a number of the parts on hand and the few that they did had to order only took a few days (no shipping charge either). Not all shops are willing to match online pricing, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
I've had similar experiences as well. In this case, ordering from Amazon saves 1/3 over the cost of Jack's albeit with a couple of the parts being sourced from other than Ariens themselves (aftermarket). And the couple of parts that aren't OEM, I'm completely ok with that based on what I've researched on what they are.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ariens does not make the bearings themselves. For example, if you look at the closeup pics of the impeller bearing with part number 05406300, it says "Peer 1635RLD" right on it.

Price from Ariens: $27.35

I was able to find a seller with the same exact Peer bearing for $10 each.

Peer appears to be the OEM for the axle bearings as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ariens does not make the bearings themselves. For example, if you look at the closeup pics of the impeller bearing with part number 05406300, it says "Peer 1635RLD" right on it.

Price from Ariens: $27.35

I was able to find a seller with the same exact Peer bearing for $10 each.

Peer appears to be the OEM for the axle bearings as well.
Bearings and friction disc are non-OEM via Amazon and were where I saved all of the money. My experience with bearings in general is that the manufacturers get huge bucks for them while you can buy the same exact bearing, sometimes to better tolerances and specs, from a quality manufacturer for at least 60% less. Snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc. - they all play out like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts