Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK, where to begin. My 1971 Ariens, model 910995 was in need of some TLC, so I decided now would be the best time to pull it apart, sand, prime, and paint the Sno-Thro attachment. So I disassemble, bagging and labeling as I go along. When I got to the rakes, I labeled each one, LH and RH, simple enough. NOT. I can remember whether I labeled them as viewed from the operators position (correct way), or from the front as I was taking them off. Now I do know the u-channel supports open side faces the outside, but from there I am not certain which side goes where?

SO, can anyone please clue me to the correct position, LH or RH of the rakes. Also, is there a "phase" alignment when you lock them to the shaft with the shear pins. In other words, you can rotate the rake on the shaft 180 degrees with regards to locking them into position. Am I over thinking this entire process? I just don't want to put the bloody thing back together only to find out I was wrong when I drag the thing out for the first blizzard of the season.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nwcove,

Hey neighbor, thanks for the prompt reply and the link. I am going to print the picture (as mentioned, worth a thousand words) and take it to the garage when I assemble. I just wish I thought ahead just a bit when I marked them on disassembly. Now you list the south shore of Nova Scotia, anywhere near Yarmouth? Why, I reside in Yarmouth, ME. Have always thought about grabbing a ferry ride and having a look around. But you know what they say about good intentions.......

Again, thanks for the prompt reply, it certainly helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dbert,

Love the analogy and the explanation. Man if I had only know the mental component of my oversight I would have been far, far more diligent in my disassembly. Again my greatest fear is putting the thing back together, only to find my mistake during a blizzard in December, hence my anal focus on getting it right.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Don't worry about it too much.

- Augers always rotate so that the edge closest to the snow (furthest from the operator) moves down towards the ground. And the edge closest to the operator moves towards the sky.

- The augers must be mounted so that, when they are rotating in that direction, the edges closest to the snow (furthest from the operator) will be screwing the snow towards the centerline of the machine. Meeting between the two augers, at the auger gearbox.

So maybe put them on the ground in front of the machine, oriented as if they were installed on the augers shaft. Make sure that if they were turning in the proper direction (rolling the augers "forward", away from the operator), that their front edges would be pushing the imaginary snow towards the space between the augers.

If you have their left & right positions swapped, and you do this test (either physically, or mentally), you'll see that the front edges (while rotating down) would push the snow *apart*, towards the outside of the machine. That would be no good to discover in a blizzard :) But it's straightforward enough to confirm, while re-assembling the machine.

Alternately, just look at snowblower pictures online. From a manufacturer, if you want to be more confident that the machine in the picture is set up correctly. It doesn't really matter what age the machine is, they pretty much all have their augers pitched & rotating in the same direction (there might be exceptions, but I can't think of any that rotate in the other direction).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RedOctobyr,

Hey, thanks for the detailed response. You say "don't worry too much"....I am well beyond that, but thanks to the great forum members, I am feeling a bit more confident. As I have said, I "THOUGHT" I had been careful enough to mark left/right, but forgot to make one critical note, which left/right was I referring to. Ah, lessons learned.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
No problem, happy to help.

If you want a double-check, for peace of mind, feel free to post a picture of how you've mounted the augers on the shaft. Then people can help confirm that they're on there properly.

Taking notes and marking things during disassembly is a big help. If it's practical, I'd suggest also taking pictures before you start taking things apart, and while you're taking it apart.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've taken pictures of things I thought would be important during disassembly, then later realized that I (luckily) *also* had gotten something else in the picture, which turned out to be an important reference.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
As your looking at the augers from the front of the machine, they should look like this. [\\\o///]

( my mistake, sorry)

·
Registered
725 Posts
For future reference I believe it's a universal practice to denote left and right from the operators position.

The augers want to look like //////\\\\\ when viewed from the front. NOT \\\\ ////, been there, done that, it was a bad day.

Most augers have 2 leads. Since the shear pins only allow 2 orientations you can't go wrong

The only way you'd really disturb the relationship is to change the worm gear to worm wheel timing. In the end you are feeding a chaotic stream of fluidized snow to the pump and I doubt that the precise position of the impeller relative to the auger lead ends matters at all. The essential relationships except selecting left and right hand augers are hard coded in the parts.

Pete

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
And if you are still doubting yourself, after you put it together stick a tennis ball or something in there and spin the impeller by hand. If the ball goes towards the middle you did it right.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Getting those augers in there backwards can happen even to the best of us. I know I saw and posted at one time a manufacturers ad with a nice shinny new machine where the the augers were backwards.

There is presently an ad for a tracked Honda in my area that has two right or two left augers which means one side is pushing snow out and the ad states it work just fine that way :facepalm_zpsdj194qh
I guess he'd really be impressed with the way it worked if he had a left and right.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Those look to me like they're both wrong, not just one. Both would be pushing the snow away from center. Or am I missing something?

My interpretation would be that this person simply reversed theirs, rather than having 2 rights, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off, I would like to thank all that have responded to my cry for help. It is great to know there are folks out there willing to take the time to assist other, exactly why I love these online forums. And yes, pictures, pictures, pictures. I thought I had it as I labeled the rakes, LH and RH but again, brain cramp about remembering the orientation of the marking, which should have been from the operators position. Then I questioned myself as I was working from the front of the machine. Just out of curiosity, are the part number stamped on the rakes anywhere? I looked but couldn't find any. And RedOctobyr, I will post a picture when I have assembled the unit, so you guys can double check my work.

Again, thank you to all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK folks,

Parts came in so I am ready to assemble, but first, attached is a picture of the rakes on the shaft. I tried to remember all of the suggestions, let's see how I did. I resized the image, let's hope I didn't reduce it too much.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Getting those augers in there backwards can happen even to the best of us. I know I saw and posted at one time a manufacturers ad with a nice shinny new machine where the the augers were backwards.

There is presently an ad for a tracked Honda in my area that has two right or two left augers which means one side is pushing snow out and the ad states it work just fine that way :facepalm_zpsdj194qh
I guess he'd really be impressed with the way it worked if he had a left and right.

Those are backwards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW. Someone should come, take all my tools and lock my garage! Maybe I should take up knitting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts