Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was visiting my family in PA. Had five inches overnite. Jumped out bed like a kid on Christmas morning and fired up dads '67 10M. Two pulls and it was running like a champ. I have not used this in 20 yrs+, Brought back childhood memories of when he bought it brand new. I was in second grade. I only get to service it in the spring, so it was a real treat to work it!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shifter was stiff when cold, loosened up when warm. This spring will pull the pan and lube up the friction wheel shaft, and the gears. Last year dear old dad (81) broke the shear pins when he hit some border rocks. Good thing I always lubed the auger zerks. He was always bad with leaving gas in it, I had to replace the tank and carb back in the 80's.

I got him trained to shut off the fuel and run it dry.. And have me drain the tank and give it a look over every year. I guess I have changed the oil about 40 times in my life.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I was visiting my family in PA. Had five inches overnite. Jumped out bed like a kid on Christmas morning and fired up dads '67 10M. Two pulls and it was running like a champ. I have not used this in 20 yrs+, Brought back childhood memories of when he bought it brand new. I was in second grade. I only get to service it in the spring, so it was a real treat to work it!

now that's a great story. that's the neat thing about the vintage American iron, it's generational. if it was taken care of like the one you have, it can be passed on for many generations.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
its nice that you take the time to keep dad's classic up and running scrappy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scrappy
When/if you have time, could you post a picture of the handle bar controls?
I have an Ariens I'm trying to identify (labels have been painted over) and looks a lot like yours from the picture you have.
Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scrappy
When/if you have time, could you post a picture of the handle bar controls?
I have an Ariens I'm trying to identify (labels have been painted over) and looks a lot like yours from the picture you have.
Thanks
I sure will.

I won't be at my parents for a few weeks/ maybe months. The carb was drained and the tank has a dose of stabil. So no rush for me to get there.
I do plan to pull the belly pan and lube the chains, Change the oil, change the auger case oil ( because last time i used GL5) and shoot some grease in the auger zerks.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts