Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced the carburetor on a 7 hp Tecumseh Snow King (631954 HOOAI brand from Amazon). Full throttle seems to be much faster that before the replacement (when I could get it to run). I thought I replaced the linkages correctly.

photo.JPG

This is in the engine off position. Top link goes to the carburetor. Bottom goes to the governor arm where it is inserted in the hole closest to the pivot.

·
Registered
871 Posts
buy a cheap inductance tach off fleabay, mines coming this week, mine seems to rev on the slow side but someone mentioned it was running fast, will verify either way when i get my tach

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I had the same thing with a blower I just sold. It was a 5HP and the carb was labeled for 5-7 HP. The original carb was faulty, so I put the same carb on the OP describes, and it seems to have been running fast. The guy who bought it didn't seem to care, he just lowered the throttle.

Tell ya what, it didn't have that lean pop on idle, and it was easier to start. I think it may be jetted a little big, making it richer, and running a little faster on top. This is a WAG, but I didn't want to spend what little brain power I had left focusing on it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Changing "gubbamint" to "gubbanah" in thread title

Sorry for the mis-spelling in the the title. Darn autocorrect !
You can open and edit the title in your original post, changing "gubbamint" to "gubbanah". It will make thread-searching easier for future readers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Donnyboy73 to the rescue !

Well, the serious cold snap we had in SE MI finally broke yesterday and I could get back in the garage and work on that blower again. First the the governor linkage at the throttle is in the wrong hole. It should be in the TOP hole.

Second, and most important, the "overspeed" issue was due to the governor arm (at the other end of that linkage) being out of adjustment. I'll let him explain it.

Yes, his example engine is a 10 hp Snow King and mine is a 7 hp Snow King. Basically the same governor linkage. As he noted, overspeed kills many Tecumseh Snow King engines. The rods just can not take it. If you want just a bit more engine speed, use the WOT screw on the throttle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
"hello, my name is colonel orangputeh from the NSA and I am here to inspect your new carb. the fee is $1247.56 . otherwise we will confiscate your snowblower and you could receive a minimum of 6 months in jail and a $10,000 fine."

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
There is a Speed Adjustment Screw on the Front of the linkage. Once Your Linkage is in the Correct Hole, Adjust That Screw to get the correct Speed. Leave the Governor Alone.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Second, and most important, the "overspeed" issue was due to the governor arm (at the other end of that linkage) being out of adjustment. I'll let him explain it.

How to adjust snow blower governor linkage

Yes, his example engine is a 10 hp Snow King and mine is a 7 hp Snow King. Basically the same governor linkage. As he noted, overspeed kills many Tecumseh Snow King engines. The rods just can not take it. If you want just a bit more engine speed, use the WOT screw on the throttle.
that video is one of DB's that I WOULD NOT recommend following.

There's no adjusting the external governor arm.

Think of it as a means to calibrate the internal governor spool & linkage with the carb's throttle position.

1) Loosen the governor retaining screw
2) rotate and hold the carb throttle butterfly to the WOT position
3) rotate the governor shaft (shaft that goes through the cylinder cover in this case) to the slowest-cam position (while holding the carb butterfly open the entire time). For the regular & medium frame tecs, you're rotating it clockwise looking down (see image below of a "bottomed-out" governor spool)
4) while holding the gov shaft in the "bottomed-out" position & carb throttle @ WOT, tighten the governor arm screw
5) check the RPMs... you adjust by adjusting the governor spring tension as jackmels mentioned earlier.

I wouldn't mess with the governor without a way of measuring RPMs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts