Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice blower. Here's the ad. Husqvarna ST 5.23 Snowblower Like New Condition- Needs slight repair
Few pics I took. Hadn't been started or run for 3 years and I had to give the carb a good cleaning. He said he probably ran it for maybe an hour total. He broke a shear pin, parked it and sold it. The guy is 87 years old.
I'll get a new set of pins, grease the auger shaft and probably flip it. There's not a scratch on it. Look inside the bucket. Look inside the impeller housing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
you sure are running across a lot of bargans lately

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you sure are running across a lot of bargans lately
When a fella has six Saturdays a week to hunt it's a lot easier hunting. Gosh but I love retirement!

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Wow, talk about clean. Even at the full $200 that looks like a bargain.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, talk about clean. Even at the full $200 that looks like a bargain.
Yep. That's about the cleanest used piece of equipment I've ever bought. But boy was that carb gummed up. That junk felt like carpenters glue and silicone caulk mixed together. It seems to be running pretty good but I'm not quite satisfied with the way it starts. Maybe it just needs a little more run time and I believe I'm gonna put some Seafoam™ in it to freshen it up a little more.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Didn't you feel like you were robbing him? :D

Good deal, it looks like new!
I am keeping my eyes open for a deal like that, but up around here everyone thinks they are made of gold!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
When a fella has six Saturdays a week to hunt it's a lot easier hunting. Gosh but I love retirement!
You see Joe, I told you so. Glad to hear you made the transition

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Six Saturdays a week sound like heaven. And you keep scoring these great deals to help fund all those Saturdays.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't you feel like you were robbing him? :D
!:rolleyes:
No. I know it was a good price. He told me he knew it was worth more but he said it was just in his way and he was never going to use it again, even if it was fixed. I didn't quibble about the price a 'tall. I paid him the full $200. It is also a pretty basic machine. Armstrong starting system.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
What do you think?
When it starts snowing and all the procrastinators are running around trying to find any blower they can, because everyone is sold out.
What do you think you could get for it? $400? $450, more?

Doubling your money is not bad for one of your "Saturday's" spent "working". A nice way to supplement your retirement funds and to keep active, huh?

Last month I saw a blower on e bay for an older Snowbird. Said it ran but probably needed a carb cleaning. I think it had a replacement motor on it, I forgot the exact details now. But the price sounded good? And I might have got it cheaper? He was asking 40 bucks or best offer.
From the pictures it looked in fairly decent shape.

The reason I am telling you this is I see your in Pa somewhere.
This was advertised as being in the area of where Rt 81 crosses Rt 80.
You close to that area?
By any chance did you see the blower I am talking about? It was about a month ago. I think he listed it twice and had no takers, I was going to post it here but was trying to decide to get it or not.
If I did I would have had to meet him somewhere and strap it to my tankers fenders. (18 wheeler)
I figured that wouldn't look too good to the DOT cops :p and decided not to inquire about it.

I am running out there Monday with a load alcohol to Millhall.
If I had a flatbed it would be no problem picking up old blowers from anywhere.
Though I think that it may be a good thing that I don't, I could get blowers from all over the East coast. I then might need a larger garage.:p

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
80 & 81 i came upon after leaving out of jersey shores, that would be a ways north of joe. if he keeps finding deals like this he will soon have as many snowblowers as i have :D

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
80 & 81 i came upon after leaving out of jersey shores, that would be a ways north of joe. if he keeps finding deals like this he will soon have as many snowblowers as i have :D
I really have no idea what I can get for it. Maybe 450. It's really not all about the $ all the time though. I just enjoy resurrecting equipment that should be running but doesn't. I get lots of enjoyment making things go again. That Snow Bird is a little far for me but thanks for the heads up, Ed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That looks identical to my Estate 523, only in orange and minus the rust. I wish mine had that chute on it, and the one it has is barely taller than the top of the engine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great pick up! I'm semi retired myself and have taken to bringing non working equipment back to life. I went to prep school for high school, so no formal mechanical training. I have learned a tremendous amount of info from this 'site and others including youtube on how to repair small engines. The hardest part is mustering up the courage to dig in. Once started it I find it to be quite cathartic. Once again, nice find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts