Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just asked me to help him out, his parents are away and arriving back home on Saturday. He asked me to help clear the driveway with my blower and I said yes, then he told me its gravel. I'm worried about sucking up gravel in the bucket. Need some advise, how high should I set the skids? And other techniques for gravel I need to be aware of?
I may go to my Dad's and grab the MTD to save my old Ariens from the gravel...

·
Registered
93 Posts
We had a gravel driveway (hard-packed) and we used our 80's vintage JD 1032 on it for years with no problems. I'd set the skids towards their highest level ... half an inch or more. You will suck up the occasional stone so be careful where you direct the discharge. Occasional stones shouldn't hurt the machine ... although they'll probably wear the paint off the auger and the inside of the housing a bit quicker than snow and ice.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
A friend of mine just asked me to help him out, his parents are away and arriving back home on Saturday. He asked me to help clear the driveway with my blower and I said yes, then he told me its gravel. I'm worried about sucking up gravel in the bucket. Need some advise, how high should I set the skids? And other techniques for gravel I need to be aware of?
I may go to my Dad's and grab the MTD to save my old Ariens from the gravel...
Many I read here say they set theirs at around the 1 1/4" mark since you don't know the gravel size and whether its packed or not. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Ray, I'd set it at least an inch. We had a long gravel drive at one point and it seems I remember setting my old MTD 8/26 skids down as low as they'd go. Also had a J..D. 332 diesel w/a 48" two stage blower and set it up about 1 1/2" and never had any problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the replies! I just got a phone call that he doesn't need me after all, he just went there and said one of the neighbors must have come by and cleared it cause it already done.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Thank you guys for the replies! I just got a phone call that he doesn't need me after all, he just went there and said one of the neighbors must have come by and cleared it cause it already done.
Heh heh.... Dodged a bullet Ray!:D But I admire that you didn't back out of your commitment and were willing to make good on your word. A few would have bailed.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
"I love happy endings." :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a way to kill a perfectly good thread :)
Lol, sorry to disappoint you Spectrum! I however was relieved. I resigned myself to running to my Dads 15 min away for the MTD anyway, was too afraid to make my first pass on a gravel driveway with my ole Ariens. I'm sure I would've figured it out, but just was apprehensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts