Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Mass.

to be honest (which is half the battle of being accepted to forums
) I signed up to search for some specific information.

My impending back operation (typical L4/L5 issues) makes it necessary to replace my "elderly" Toro 724 with something that will throw the snow further and most importantly, is easier to maneuver.

The search has been narrowed to either a Husky with "Power Steering" and high speed impeller (models 11524E, 14527E, or 1830EXL) and the Ariens Platnium line (24" and 30") with their "Automatic Traction Control".

I just can't find any decent description of how well either of these two steering system work.

I was concerned after reading fronos4's post Ariens ATC minor annoyance because our driveway is NOT flat and smooth and I need a lot of snow moved off of paths around the house. I don't want to be twisting my back keeping the beast going straight.

Anyone have input on the Husky's power steering, the Ariens ATC, or other makes that have some kind of assisted steering.

Thanks. It won't be long now.

-Bill

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I haven't used any of the new fancy ones, but the new toros also have the power steering triggers and people like them. The toros also get that cool looking joystick control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you think Toro's are as good as they used to be ? Mine was bought by my father decades ago, and I "inherited" it. ("Mom, you can't even start this thing, I'm taking it" as I'm rolling it up into my van
)

I didn't think they had as good a reputation now. Also, the stuff I saw on their site said "for snow 6" - 10" ". If we have another winter like last winter, I want something a little more robust.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Personally I would go with the Ariens, but with a bad back you need to find the one that is the easiest to use.

·
Super Moderator
2,688 Posts
Choices

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately I can't make a recommendation but I can make a suggestion. Talk to some of the shops that sell the models you're interested in and see if they'll fire one up to see how it works for you. You know places like HD probably won't but smaller shops that work with customers would be my suggestion. If it works for you and they're in your price range, I'd suggest giving them your business. Most places I've dealt with, if they work with you without a commitment to buy, they'll work with you when the time comes for service etc.

My thoughts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HCBPH,

That was the first thing I did. I went to the local "Mom & Pop" shop and asked about the Husky and Ariens. The lady didn't seem interested in giving me a whole lot of detailed info. Either she was not seeing an immediate sale, being saturday was busy, or didn't have a clue.

But honestly, this dealer has never been known to fall over backward for potential customers. Even when they were a small little shop in the middle of town, their "people skills" were lacking, and now that they've moved to a sprawling complex and have opened up a second location, they are even worse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Toro's work great. My father has one that is two years old now, the trigger drive system works very well. I don’t remember the model but if my faulty memory serves me correctly it is a 13hp unit. He normally only uses it for heavier falls 8"+ and for clearing the end of the driveway, at his house typically 24" high. Nothing it has seen yet has slowed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems the Toro has universal great reviews for power, durability, and (most importantly for me) ease of steering. The OXE models are the ones with the power steering, with the 1030 getting the best raves.

problem is, there are no nearby Toro dealers :mad:

The Ariens with the "Automatic Traction Control" I am learning still needs some assistance from the operator. Great reports, but I need one that can TURN ITSELF.

So now I ask, who has experience with Husqvarna's power steering? I can only find ONE person on the internet so far that has given ANY input. It was good and it sounds like the steering is very similar to the Toro, if not identical, but I would really like some more first hand experience.

thanks

-Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,688 Posts
Businesses

HCBPH,

That was the first thing I did. I went to the local "Mom & Pop" shop and asked about the Husky and Ariens. The lady didn't seem interested in giving me a whole lot of detailed info. Either she was not seeing an immediate sale, being saturday was busy, or didn't have a clue.

But honestly, this dealer has never been known to fall over backward for potential customers. Even when they were a small little shop in the middle of town, their "people skills" were lacking, and now that they've moved to a sprawling complex and have opened up a second location, they are even worse.
Sounds like they don't want your business. Don't know what you have available for shops there, but if there are others maybe call them and express your desire to do some hands-on and see if they're interested in accomodating your request. Some businesses complaint they can't get customers and wonder why but never look at what they're doing to the customers good-will by their actions. Take your business elsewhere.

My feelings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just my two cents... and I own an Arien... the Arien ATC (or what ever they call it) works by freeing up the outside wheel when YOU turn the blower... i.e the inside wheel of the turn is still powered, which does NOT make turning easy, in fact it's counter intuitive to making a turn... I would recommend a unit that has a trigger for each wheel and then release the inside wheel for a turn and use the powered outside wheel of the turn to help with the turn....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you truder,

The ATC frees up the OUTSIDE wheel? That IS counter intuitive. Thank you for confirming the Ariens will not be my best choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check to make sure

Thank you truder,

The ATC frees up the OUTSIDE wheel? That IS counter intuitive. Thank you for confirming the Ariens will not be my best choice.
Norfolker,

I own a ST 28LE Deluxe... which has a trigger release for the left wheel, making left turns easy.... As I've read in other forums, the Ariens ATC is similar to a slip differential in an automobile... as you turn the snow thrower the outer wheel of the turn freewheels and the power is delivered to the inside wheel... but to confirm this.. (i.e., NEVER believe what you read on the internet) one can email Arien's tech support via their website to confirm. good luck in your search!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts