Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
toro 928 ohxe 38801,
442 Posts
old age and poor circulation here, so even with grip warmers i find i need to use those hot hands hand warmers one puts inside ones gloves , they last nearly 10 hours so i can go in and out several times and reuse them for a day hand and foot i stay toasty

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
could always make battery powered handle bar warmers. it is not really hard to make a battery pack to make 12v.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
could always make battery powered handle bar warmers. it is not really hard to make a battery pack to make 12v.
Good idea, I'll look into that.
old age and poor circulation here, so even with grip warmers i find i need to use those hot hands hand warmers one puts inside ones gloves , they last nearly 10 hours so i can go in and out several times and reuse them for a day hand and foot i stay toasty
I find those hot hands things don't work so well. I'm in Saskatchewan though, so when it's cold here it's pretty terrible.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
if your looking for free or cheap batteries the best place to look for them is trying to find someone with a few dead lithium ion drill batteries. generally the chips or 1 cell will go bad which will usually leave you with at about 5-15 cells depending on the battery. you only need about 3 to run it but best to use at least 6 in parallel to get longer run time between charges. then only thing you would have to buy is a balance charging bms

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have heated grips on my Deluxe 28. At first, I had tried a set of MTD heated grips because they cost less, but the MTD grips didn't work because their resistance was too high (8 ohm vs Ariens 4 ohm per grip, IIRC). Apparently, the MTD machines run higher voltage and lower amperage than Ariens to make the same wattage. So, I had to grin and buy the Ariens heated grips. Keep the resistance numbers in mind when you're looking at aftermarket heated grips.

That all said, I do like my Ariens grips. They are really nice on the moderately cold days down to 0F or so, which is the temperatures which I do most of my snow blowing. Just click the switch and the grips get warm fairly quickly.

However, when it gets colder, like to -10F or lower, the grips aren't nearly as effective. The reasons being:
1. We don't wrap your hands fully around the grip and only our fingers are touching the warm grip. It's not like a snowmobile which we wrap our full hand around the heated grip.
2. Our palms are against the cold unheated dead man controls.
3. Our hands are leaving the grips and manipulating the cold shifter and/or chute controls.
4. We will likely be wearing thicker gloves or mittens which reduce the amount of heat transfer from the heated grips.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts