Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that has a blown up Toro I think 524 single stage 2 stroke engine and he was wondering if a 4 cycle would work on that type of machine. My opinion is get something else but he likes that one. I know the newer single stages are all 4 strokes but for him is it worth the money, I say, No. Anyone else ever done a swap like this?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
anything is possible with enough money or skill but realistically he could buy a used single stage machine for the cost of 4 stroke conversion. plus you are probably better off buying a machine that was built with a 4 stoke.

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R
74 Posts
I can’t see why not! Some measurements will need taken. I’m sure it wouldn’t be very difficult. If you find one that will bolt right on and has same pulley length and size. No different than going from 4 to a 4. Now I am certainly no Toro expert, but when you love a certain piece of equipment “old” and made strong, and all it needs is motor swap or repair, has to be easily doable.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
it likely wouldn't be that easy. it is not just about measurements. you also have to consider the weight and shape difference. 4 strokes are usually heavier and larger than 2 stroke so you would have to do a lot of cutting and fab to make it work. also if you don't brace things up right it could likely cause it to flex or bend like it shouldn't especially after cutting things up to make the engine fit.

·
Super Moderator
6,715 Posts
your friend most likely has a toro ccr2450. i took a toro ccr3000 engine ( 2 cycle ) and put it on a ccr2450 frame years ago. i already had all the parts so i didn't need to buy anything but nuts, bolts, and belts. the motor bolted on with no problems but but the fuel tank was too far out of alignment. i got a belt for a ccr 2450 and ccr 3000, i don't remember which one i used and i know i used a few longer bolts and washers to align the fuel tank. i got it to work even though i don't like it, won't loan it out, and won't sell it. all in all i don't think it was worth the time something i think your friend will find out if he can do the swap, find another ccr 2450 for your friend

Reactions: Auger1

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, you are the best. I am sure I will be the person doing the work, as usual but he pays well so I like that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your friend most likely has a toro ccr2450. i took a toro ccr3000 engine ( 2 cycle ) and put it on a ccr2450 frame years ago. i already had all the parts so i didn't need to buy anything but nuts, bolts, and belts. the motor bolted on with no problems but but the fuel tank was too far out of alignment. i got a belt for a ccr 2450 and ccr 3000, i don't remember which one i used and i know i used a few longer bolts and washers to align the fuel tank. i got it to work even though i don't like it, won't loan it out, and won't sell it. all in all i don't think it was worth the time something i think your friend will find out if he can do the swap, find another ccr 2450 for your friend
I have a 3650 but I like it too much and he knows that. Does anyone sell ne 2 cycle engines these days?

·
Registered
201 Posts
do the 2-stroke engine run at a different RPM than the 4-stroke?? Ive never used a 2-stroke snow removal implement and wonder if they run much higher in RPM.. in which case.. you might need worry about pulley sizing on a comparable 4-stroke mill to get the same operating RPM without going in an engine RPM range a 4-stroke just isnt meant to be in... asides from that... itl work.. somehow ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts