Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My snow blower from 1978 or 1979 will run for at best a minute with one pull of the starter. The gas cap is fine and I think that the air fuel mixture is good.

The carburetor probably needs some work. I do not want to do a rebuild myself and would have a pro do it. But I could buy new carburetor instead. The carburetor is a Tecumseh 27.

The snow blower has been pretty dependable over the years.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Up to you, .... Me personally, I either clean it or depending on condition, just replace it, as new ones are only 10 to 15 dollars for the adjustable ones.

Reactions: KJSeller

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Also, many times on a machine over 50 years old, cleaning the tank and changing the fuel line and primer line are required.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,496 Posts
Firat thing to try, since the older carbs have adjustable needles, is to close each in turn, counting the number of turns to do so, and then reopen to the same exact place. If the needle was clogged, this will repoen it, and then fuel flow will often clear it up more.

Failing that, I would clean it. Old Tec carbs are trivial to clean, and unless hopelessly corroded or something else unusual, will almost always leave you in a better place than a lot of the cheap junk being peddled these days.

As otners have mentioned, if the lines are old, that could also be the issue, in that the rubber breaks down and fine black grit gets into the carb. Not running, it tends to stay floating in the fuel, but running, slowly builds up on the main until the engine quits. Wait a bit, or agitate it, and you can restart. Carb clean, tank flush, and new line does the trick. (Had exactly this issue on a mid 70's Toro 724 a couple years ago).

·
Registered
400 Posts
Agreed I’d always at least try one carb cleaning and rebuild before replacing it. And if you peruse you tube I’m sure someone has a vid on it that you can watch. The main thing is the cleaning.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some photos of the carburetor. Note the screen looks dirty. I did not remove it and do not have a rebuild kit. I am not sure if there is one for this carb. PartsTree calls the carb 631440, however, I am not sure that it is correct. Also note that the choke lever is straight (horizontal) and not bent as shown in the cheep replacements. If I went that route would I just straighten the lever? Also, any recommendations on a replacement to purchase? Still not sure if I would want to do a rebuild myself.

Metal Fashion accessory Auto part Machine Titanium
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Bicycle part Watch
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Bicycle part Watch
Gas Machine Auto part Metal Bronze
Gas Machine Motor vehicle Auto part Metal

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
815 Posts
I used to try to rebuild them but you will find the rebuild kits are around $8 and a new carb is around $15, depending on the carb, but if it's a Briggs or Tecumseh they're around that [just bought a new carb for a 1957 Kohler and it was $13.79]. I would agree with the above that if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound and you should replace gas lines and filters while you're at it. I don't even bother with the original carb, they get labeled and thrown in a box as I am also a parts pack rat.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,496 Posts
Here are some photos of the carburetor. Note the screen looks dirty. I did not remove it and do not have a rebuild kit. I am not sure if there is one for this carb. PartsTree calls the carb 631440, however, I am not sure that it is correct. Also note that the choke lever is straight (horizontal) and not bent as shown in the cheep replacements. If I went that route would I just straighten the lever? Also, any recommendations on a replacement to purchase? Still not sure if I would want to do a rebuild myself.

View attachment 183923 View attachment 183922 View attachment 183923 View attachment 183922 View attachment 183923 View attachment 183924 View attachment 183925
That's not a screen, it's a welch plug over the primer well, which can easily be replaced. All in all, I don't see anything in those pictures that would cause me to hesitate cleaning/rebuilding it. Get the kit with new seals, a needle and seat, welch plugs etc. and it should end up good as new.

Note also that the actual OEM carbs are nowhere near $15! $15 gets you questionable quality Chinese junk that may or may not fit. You know what you have fits, and has no inherent defects - why add more variables?

Oh, and there are not too many different rebuild kits for Tec carbs - the differences were not in those parts, so a kit should be pretty easy to find, and the docs/procedures/manuals are all online.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

The Ariens Sno-Thro is older than I said. It might have been 1973. The numbers and letters on it is H70-130158A 2243D.

So, I took it in for repair when I gave up doing anything myself. I was told that the governor in the engine was bent and the engine would race unless the choke was on. I was told that it was not worth repairing. So, I am taking it back and maybe playing with it. I am not a mechanic but have done some things with it.

Is it that hard getting into the engine and straightening the governor or replacing it? I am getting close to buying a new model.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
That will be a 10000 series Ariens, which are well built and easy to work on machines.

Can you post some photos of the entire machine to get an idea of it's condition? Photo of the external governor arm and carb linkages.

Was the machine running fine last winter or the last time you used it, before you experienced this running issue?
Did the engine sound like it was racing, running high RPM's?

I don't necessarily believe the shops diagnosis, as I'm sure they didn't open up the engine to confirm a bent internal governor. Often times these shops aren't interested in working on old machines. Even with simple repairs the labour and parts costs quickly add up to more than the machine is worth.

Watch some you tube videos on Tec. carb cleaning and with help from folks on this site you should be able to get the machine running well enough to at least see if there is a governor issue. Then decide if you want to invest in a new machine or purchase a carb kit or a replacement carb.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll post photos after I get it back. It was running fine last winter. The mechanic said that it started right up for him but raced when the choke was off. Maybe the carb is okay. I'll try it when I get it back.

BTW I looked on line for new Ariens 24 Deluxe. It looks like new ones are not available. Meantime I hope that my Toro 524 can work with whatever snow we get. I hope that it is not much. I have a three car width flat driveway.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
For now, if you just crack the choke on, and it runs fine, leave it for now until you can address an adjustment.

Jmho

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Not in my opinion, just doing your driveway .

If your carb is adjustable, you can start there, but if linkages are bent or wrong p!acement, and the governor has been messed with, you are in for a more in depth correction.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is my invoice. Again, I was told that he had it running in full choke but when the choke was off the engine raced, Either the electric starter or whatever it engages has broken teeth and had not worked for decades. Hopefully my neighbor can help me get it back home later in the week and I can take pictures for the forum.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts