Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
292 Posts
This is my invoice. Again, I was told that he had it running in full choke but when the choke was off the engine raced, Either the electric starter or whatever it engages has broken teeth and had not worked for decades. Hopefully my neighbor can help me get it back home later in the week and I can take pictures for the forum.
At least the cost to inspect wasn't bad. I guess unless you can DIY the repair for cheap, then it's time for another snowblower.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would just buy a cheap Chinese carb and see if that makes it run better.
Cheap Chinese carbs are better made than the OEM parts.
That is a sad fact of the last days of Tecumseh quality control.
Chinese kind of suck at needles and seats though sometimes they leak a little ( casting and general machining are better however ).
Tooth paste on a q-tip... in an electric drill and polish the seat will solve 99% of dribbles in new and sometimes corroded ( they skip this step I guess )

Once you have a known good carb you have a starting point.
Buy an adjustable carb for the same size engine no matter what you have.
Emission controlled or not get the adjustable carb.

Manual will show the linkages, and there are threads here on how to set the governor arm if that is somehow loose.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I'm impressed that 1.) a shop actually looked at a vintage machine and 2.) didn't charge 3x what the entire machine is worth.

I've personally had the internal governor pin itself in the "no load" position on an old Tecumseh. When it's like this, I was essentially calibrating the carb throttle plate to be fully open when the spool is in the position that demands the least amount of fuel for the engine :eek:.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm impressed that 1.) a shop actually looked at a vintage machine and 2.) didn't charge 3x what the entire machine is worth.

I've personally had the internal governor pin itself in the "no load" position on an old Tecumseh. When it's like this, I was essentially calibrating the carb throttle plate to be fully open when the spool is in the position that demands the least amount of fuel for the engine :eek:.
What was your solution for this? Was the snow blower operational after that?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
What was your solution for this? Was the snow blower operational after that?
ordered a new governor (had a gasket set already on hand) and rebuilt the engine (again): Link.

these engines are crazy simple and require very little as far as tools go...esp with the tecumseh L-head service manual at your fingertips.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I should be able to pickup my Ariens Sno-thro on Thursday and can take photos after that.

I noticed on the repair slip that the "INSERNAL (SP) GOV JUMP-NEEDS COMPLETE TEARDOWN". What is an internal governor jump?

I have attached some pages from the Techumseh Mechanic's Handbook.

Another question: Would my Sno-Thro engine be a horizontal engine?

Thanks all for your continuing help and have a Happy New Year!
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Handwriting
Black Font Line Parallel Art

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi, I got the Ariens Sno-Thro back from the shop today. It seems to be in the same condition as when I brought it down there. It starts and runs for a short time. It also races. It looks like the governor moves a little. Here are some photos. I also have a video that I included along with these photos on my DropBox account. The link is: Sno-Thro.

I am discouraged and am thinking of getting a new snow blower next year when they should be available again. I am discouraged.

Thanks for the help.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Machine
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Machine
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would consider a re-power if the rest of the machine is in good order.
That engine looks like a turd
Lots of work done and tinkering and obvious issues.
A winterized clone would push it a long like a dream....

If the rest of the machine is in good order!!

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
That rod off the governor, as well as the spring next to it are not where they should be. I am eating now, but will get back to you shortly.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
My 7hp is very similar to Ziggy,s .... that spring indeed goes around that end of the governor rod ... however, on mine, that rod end goes in the small, very outer hole in the carb bracket.

I'll post photo when I get it.....

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
This is the original setup before I took it off my Bolens 7HP Tecumseh, as I have not put the new one on yet ... you can see the proper governor linkage hole, as well as the spring around the governor linkage, in the lower hole of the assembly on one end, and around the governor linkage on its other end, as well as that linkage end is in the very outer hole of the carburetor bracket, above the curved three holes.

Wood Automotive tire Brick Bumper Gas

Bicycle part Tool Auto part Font Metal

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Here is my attempt to change the linkage to what 1Acer and Ziggy65 posted. I did not have any better luck. Just a note. I did not shut off the tank valve and I found that the tank had emptied. Anyway, The machine had 2 generations of owners and it may be somewhere around 48 years old. It may be time to put it out to pasture. Well, that would be after I salvage some parts from it that might be good for some other Tecumseh engines that I have. Thanks everyone for all of the help and support that I have received here.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update:

Since I looked at the governor inside the engine and it looked alright and someone suggested that it might be the carburetor, I got a new carburetor. I had to change the choke plate and shaft to make it fit the cover.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper Automotive wheel system
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim
Once I reassembled it it had similar problems. It would start if I injected gasoline into the choke part of the carburetor. Then it ran for a while then surged. The carburetor had a tube in the choke section that my old one did not. I would think that would be for a primer. My Ariens does not have a primer, See the photos attached. I am discouraged. Any other ideas before I get a new snow blower?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts