Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It is about 50 years old.
馃Update The snow blower starts with the first pull. I open the choke for it to keep running. Then it races. I reduce the gas flow by moving the linkage. It stalls every time. I got a new carburetor. I checked the governor and found that it does turn while running. So I expect that that is not the problem. Any more suggestions?

Premium GOT Member
馃Update The snow blower starts with the first pull. I open the choke for it to keep running. Then it races. I reduce the gas flow by moving the linkage. It stalls every time. I got a new carburetor. I checked the governor and found that it does turn while running. So I expect that that is not the problem. Any more suggestions?
ya, take it to a shop to get eyes on it in person.

Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
If the gov is moving when speed increases, it sounds like that is OK (at least inside the block) . . . . Myself, I have never seen a carb cause an issue like this . . . To me, it sounds like the gov is either out of adjustment, a spring is connected wrong or has failed, or the linkage is incorrect. When the engine speed increases, the gov should close the throttle. When engine speed decreases, the gov stops pulling the throttle closed (it cannot push . . .) and the gov spring pulls the throttle more open to maintain speed. The balance between gov pull and spring tension is what establishes the governed speed, and that is set by the throttle control varying the tension on the spring. (Note that the throttle control has no direct connection to the throttle plate on the carb). If this is an adjustable carb, the stalling when reducing power may be due to a maladjusted idle circuit or dirt . . . . In any case, this should not be too bad to deal with IF you can get a good understanding of how it all works in your mind.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Does anyone have a diagram or a photo of the correct linkage for the Tecumseh H70-130158A 2243D? I can try readjusting things. I'll also disconnect the linkage from the governor and see if it turns as the engine speed increases when the outside temperature becomes reasonable.

Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
It varies somewhat between implementations. If you can post an image of what you have, it would help us to determine if anything obvious is wrong.. This link will get you the Tec manual, which will be a great reference: https://www.smallenginesuppliers.co...cumseh_L-Head_Engines_Service_Information.pdf Somewhere in it, you ought to be able to find the gov/control variant you have, as well as the gov adjustment procedure.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts