Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Momentum is not equal to constant work or power. Think of it as a battery that has a burst of energy, better yet, much like a capacitor. Once it is discharged or slowed down it has no advantage and will need energy above the continuing load to accelerate making it a disadvantage. Since a snowblower load is relatively constant within a loaded period having a burst of peaking power does little to get the job done and as said could very well be a disadvantage.

Pete

·
Registered
242 Posts
The only advantage a heavier impeller has is that it makes things a little bit smoother. It works exactly like a flywheel, or heavy rims/tires on cars. It takes longer to speed it up, or to slow it down.

You think it won't make much of a different, but it does. A car with a heavier flywheel will shift a lot smoother and you don't have to step on the gas petal as much to keep it constant speed. It might help reducing wear on the valve springs and things like that, but it does wear out the brake pads sooner. It also save the brake pads, because it has more engine braking power.

In racing, people prefer lightweight flywheel and wheels. It shifts rough, but it flies, once you stepped on the gas petal. You save gas if you drive conservatively, but most people don't.

Snowblower is the same, but it has less noticeable effects, since everything on it is smaller scale. Therefore, I would say that it doesn't matter and a marketing thing that they came up with. I would rather have a lightweight impeller so that it is less likely to be out of balance and easier on the ball bearing. Not too lightweight that it is going to break on me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Swinging a sledge hammer around, in a circle might not be more tiring. It is because, you don't have to swing as much and you can tilt your body when doing that. It is a counter-weight and give you body balance.

Swing a hammer might be more tiring if you swing it a lot. You don't have counter-weight. You lost your balance and get dizzy much faster doing it.

Engine is the same. It wants to work. It doesn't want to just idle high. So, give it a sledge hammer to swing.

Hard to explain, but it works both ways. I just didn't think they would discuss that in snowblowers.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The only advantage a heavier impeller has is that it makes things a little bit smoother. It works exactly like a flywheel, or heavy rims/tires on cars. It takes longer to speed it up, or to slow it down. You think it won't make much of a different, but it does...
It sure does! I just transplanted a Honda GX240 from an HS80 onto a Garden Way (pre Troy Bilt) shredder/chipper that has a 14lb flywheel plus the entire shredder assembly spinning. If you throw in the clutch to disconnect the drive and turn off the motor, the chipper will continue to spin for almost a minute. If you don't throw in the clutch, the chipper will spin the non-running motor for close to 30 seconds.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't know but I've thought of transplanting the Husky impeller onto the Ariens compact just to see if it might fit and test it out. It's interesting that that literature states "High Speed" impeller. Ariens also does this, only they say "High Speed steel" impeller but it's only for certain models like the Platinum, on most models they just state "Steel" impeller. The Husky cast impeller won't work on the full size Ariens because they take a 14" impeller while the Husky's largest cast impeller is 12". Ariens also made a four blade 14" impeller once upon a time, Perhaps their research decided 3 blades are better for balance and maximum throwing.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts