Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking around here before buying my first snowblower. I live in the country in a small development near the lake. My driveway is 18x50 with 20ft of it being concrete and the remaining gravel. Plus I have around 20 ft sidewalk to the various doors from the drive.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Here is a brief answer to some of the questions so far.

Our average annual snowfall is 28" with 5" to 6" at a time, although last year (18/19) January had 23" and February had 20". And according the Farmer Almanac and other weather experts this winter is suppose to be worse.

I looking at 24" clearing path mainly because of winter storage space in my garage.

I would like to keep around $1500 range but would go up to $2000 for the right one.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
:welcome: To SBF Kendal

Due to the mix of concrete and gravel that pretty much eliminates using a single stage. It would also force you to set the skids a bit higher for the gravel so you're not picking up rocks and shooting them out the chute. The concrete isn't going to be as clean as if you were just doing all concrete and could have the scraper skimming the surface. If your'e suffering from OCD you could always run a shovel over the concrete to clear off the 1/2" that might be left behind.
What machines do you have in mind, What price range are you wanting to stay in ?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

Due to the mix of concrete and gravel that pretty much eliminates using a single stage. It would also force you to set the skids a bit higher for the gravel so you're not picking up rocks and shooting them out the chute. The concrete isn't going to be as clean as if you were just doing all concrete and could have the scraper skimming the surface. If your'e suffering from OCD you could always run a shovel over the concrete to clear off the 1/2" that might be left behind.
What machines do you have in mind, What price range are you wanting to stay in ?
Whaaaatt! Eliminating a single stage, I don't believe my interweb eyes. Your situation calls for 2 blowers!:grin:
This is always a good thing. Get a single and two stage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum!

How much snow do you usually get, and how often do you get it?
WVguy,

Thank you.

Our average annual snowfall is 28" with 5" to 6" at a time, although last year (18/19) January had 23" and February had 20".

We usually get snow from November to March

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Thanks Kiss4aFrog,

I was originally looking at a Husqvarna ST224 last winter when the "snowpocalypse" hit and my dealer was sold out twice. After doing a bunch of research and reading reviews I've narrowed it down to the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO. I like the fact it has a bigger motor and the autosteer looks to be handy. The other one is the Ariens Deluxe 24 because of price mostly. I believe in the right tool for the job at hand. This is for personal use and hopefully will last an extremely long time. As much as I like the bigger motor not sure if it is overkill (gut says more power is better but the wallet is pretty stingy at times). And yes i'm a bit OCD so I will probably scrape the last half inch with a shovel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts