Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just retired a 16 year old Murray 24 inch 2 Stage snowblower (Northern Tool and Equipment Branded) with OHV engine (Tecumseh Snow King). The Engine still starts on one or two pulls. However, the auger and impeller housing were rusting through severly , and I did not want to bother with all the welding and parts needed to bring it back up to snuff. So time for a new blower. My first instinct was to go "cheap" as I am overly frugal at times. After research, this site was very helpful, I decided to get a better model. I am getting older, and fighting the blower to steer was a concern. So I was limiting my choices to those with power steering. While we do OFTEN get deep snow in my area, we have had as much as 36 inch with drifts deeper. My driveway is narrow, and I need to maneuver around my car, so 24 inch is the width for me.

I decided to go quality, so I ended up getting the Ariens Deluxe 24. Hopefully I made the right decision. The Auto-steering, high quality metal construction, and largest engine in its class helped me decide. Funny how all the snowblowers are only made by a couple of manufacturing plants, yet there is some real differences in the units.

So I am looking forward to keeping track of trends and issues here.

Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
Richard,

Im from the north coast of BC, some odd years we get HUGE dumps of snow....YAY! I have a MTD 30" and last year an Ariens 24" with a 250 or something or other. They where sold out of the model 24 with a big ass engine RATS! Do I understand you have the large engine version? Wanna trade??? Har Har.

Geez, just mild temps and warm rain...what a drag.

Dave

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
ALOHA From The Paradise City. :smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027:

·
Read Only
871 Posts
Just retired a 16 year old Murray 24 inch @ Stage snowblower (Northern Tool and Equipment Branded) with OHV engine (Tecumseh Snow King). The Engine still starts on one or two pulls. However, the auger and impeller housing were rusting through severly , and I did not want to bother with all the welding and parts needed to bring it back up to snuff. So time for a new blower. My first instinct was to go "cheap" as I am overly frugal at times. After research, this site was very helpful, I decided to get a better model. I am getting older, and fighting the blower to steer was a concern. So I was limiting my choices to those with power steering. While we do OFTEN get deep snow in my area, we have had as much as 36 inch with drifts deeper. My driveway is narrow, and I need to maneuver around my car, so 24 inch is the width for me.

I decided to go quality, so I ended up getting the Ariens Deluxe 24. Hopefully I made the right decision. The Auto-steering, high quality metal construction, and largest engine in its class helped me decide. Funny how all the snowblowers are only made by a couple of manufacturing plants, yet there is some real differences in the units.

So I am looking forward to keeping track of trends and issues here.

Richard
hello from another former and soon to be again jersey guy.grew up in bergen county moved to sussex county in 1987 to south carolina last year and now moving back to sussex county,near the ski area . wish you luck with the ariens hopefully it's better than my now 2 year old toro powermax 38801 that looks like a total rust bucket with only 12 hours of use on it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
hello from another former and soon to be again jersey guy.grew up in bergen county moved to sussex county in 1987 to south carolina last year and now moving back to sussex county,near the ski area . wish you luck with the ariens hopefully it's better than my now 2 year old toro powermax 38801 that looks like a total rust bucket with only 12 hours of use on it.
You're about an hour up the road and across the river from me.
We ride up to High Point a lot when the weather is decent. Nice back-roads up in your area.
Welcome back to one of the lowest gasoline tax in the nation, but the highest property tax area again.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
You're about an hour up the road and across the river from me.
We ride up to High Point a lot when the weather is decent. Nice back-roads up in your area.
Welcome back to one of the lowest gasoline tax in the nation, but the highest property tax area again.
and back to driving to wurtsboro ny for ethanol free gas for the machines,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and back to driving to wurtsboro ny for ethanol free gas for the machines,
Is that the Stewarts Shop that has the gas? I have been thinking of loading up my 5 gas cans and using the E0 gas. I started using the tru-fuel in my weed whacker and it runs better than ever. (I replaced the fuel lines twice when using E10 as the line brittle up and break, and the residue parks itself in the carbs).

Wurtsboro is 45 miles from me. I used to work in Rock Hill in the 70's so I know exactly where that is.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
Is that the Stewarts Shop that has the gas? I have been thinking of loading up my 5 gas cans and using the E0 gas. I started using the tru-fuel in my weed whacker and it runs better than ever. (I replaced the fuel lines twice when using E10 as the line brittle up and break, and the residue parks itself in the carbs).

Wurtsboro is 45 miles from me. I used to work in Rock Hill in the 70's so I know exactly where that is.
YES! it was and will again be 40 mile each way drive, rt 17 north to exit 113 top of ramp, right turn drive to the light station is on the far left corner . looked up and saw someone posted a week or so back at $3.29 a gallon for 91 grade E FREE . well worth the trip which at least has some nice views. if you ride, heck get off at 114 stop at the harley dealer which i now understand is the closest to sussex county with tramomtins in hope,nj closed up via retirement , old bob sold the franchise back to harley so that won't be again with new owners .

·
Read Only
871 Posts
Stewart's Shops - STEWART'S SHOPS
175 Kingston Ave, Wurtsboro NY
845-888-2295
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 91
GPS coordinates: N 41.57764 W 74.48838
still 3.29 as far as the last date shows
next one is
Stewart's Shops #251 - STEWART'S SHOPS
3075 Rt 208, Wallkill NY
845-895-9617
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 91
GPS coordinates: N 41.60027 W 74.18197

·
Registered
853 Posts
YES! it was and will again be 40 mile each way drive, rt 17 north to exit 113 top of ramp, right turn drive to the light station is on the far left corner . looked up and saw someone posted a week or so back at $3.29 a gallon for 91 grade E FREE . well worth the trip which at least has some nice views. if you ride, heck get off at 114 stop at the harley dealer which i now understand is the closest to sussex county with tramomtins in hope,nj closed up via retirement , old bob sold the franchise back to harley so that won't be again with new owners .
I was just at a ride at Tramontins recently. I haven't been there in a long time and was shocked when I found out they were closing. They didn't say why, they just announced they were closing, it saddened all of us.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
from what i know, after 90 years as a dealer family they retired and closed up selling the franchise back to harley. i flew up and road a buddies bike in their last ride in sept, what a loose to the people who loved them

·
Registered
853 Posts
Nice riding up in that area. If you're in the Tri-State area, don't forget about heading up rt 97 to the Hawks Nest, then up the road a little bit further to Bethel, to the Farm, Woodstock.
But make sure to make a stop at the monument at Highpoint state park.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
where i lived and am going back to,i can see high point 2 ridges over, about a 1/2 hour ride or drive.yep! very nice ride to the old wood stock farm , takes me back to that time in 1969 when i was there for 4 days ,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts