Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You must enjoy something about it if you love blowing snow .
My name is John and I live in SW Ontario . Was an army brat but I now have my 2 sons serving plus one DIL so it keeps ol gramps busy when able.
Spent my early years tinkering with stuff , from the time I could get hold of a screw-driver I tore whatever I found apart . I was known as a busy kid....hahaha.
Auto mechanic for some years into the mid 80's , worked for the head office for Stihl Canada from 1988 to 2005 so I do know a bit about saws too (the good earlier ones).
Came across this forum while looking for info on SS blowers , I'm retiring my Poulan 27" 10.5HP machine after 15 years , the auger gear box and some other things . I don't need that big of a blower now , a light SS should mostly work fine.
Looks like a good group on here, think I'll find some interesting things I may be able to help with.
Cheers !

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Welcome to SBF John, good to have another Ontario member around.

I have 3 Stihl saws, my oldest (mid 80's?) was found at the curb, all it needed was fresh gas and a chain sharpening.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Orange Automotive design Hood
Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Gas Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
You must enjoy something about it if you love blowing snow .
My name is John and I live in SW Ontario . Was an army brat but I now have my 2 sons serving plus one DIL so it keeps ol gramps busy when able.
Spent my early years tinkering with stuff , from the time I could get hold of a screw-driver I tore whatever I found apart . I was known as a busy kid....hahaha.
Auto mechanic for some years into the mid 80's , worked for the head office for Stihl Canada from 1988 to 2005 so I do know a bit about saws too (the good earlier ones).
Came across this forum while looking for info on SS blowers , I'm retiring my Poulan 27" 10.5HP machine after 15 years , the auger gear box and some other things . I don't need that big of a blower now , a light SS should mostly work fine.
Looks like a good group on here, think I'll find some interesting things I may be able to help with.
Cheers !
every new member must pay me tribute. a case of corona beer........

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Zig , wow that 031 is in nice shape , not much use at all . It would have made you cry when Stihl decided to clear the warehouse of obsolete parts, lots of stuff for the 030 and 031 were tossed plus 1000's of parts for other saws. The 032 was very popular and had the chain brake which became standard equipment on all saws going forward . Saw a lot of great models during my time there , got to shake Hans Peter Stihl's hand a few times and have a chat as well when he came to visit. I do love the older saws (y)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be a nice run on a bike . I sold my Sportster 2 years ago and miss it but I have a bad hip and it wasn't working out well plus for longer trips a Road King to me is the way to roll.
Lots of different beer out west as for anywhere up here. I have some craft beer that I really enjoy now . My oldest son just got posted out to Halifax NS , some good seafood and beer im waiting to try.(y)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Greetings and welcome from Maryland!

Reactions: nitehawk55

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The days of the light single stage snow mules are now gone and as much as I hope to see it
I do not think Toro will be using Rotax engines with catalytic converters(yes they are available) in a whoop ass single stage snow mule.
I would gladly pay for several cases of Lowenbrau lager and Lowenbrau dark if someone would ship it to me from Canada since I cannot buy it here GGRRRR.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The days of the light single stage snow mules are now gone and as much as I hope to see it
I do not think Toro will be using Rotax engines with catalytic converters(yes they are available) in a whoop ass single stage snow mule.
I would gladly pay for several cases of Lowenbrau lager and Lowenbrau dark if someone would ship it to me from Canada since I cannot buy it here GGRRRR.
Not sure how available Lowenbrau is here Leon , it's around and may be a special order item at our beer stores.
Some chainsaws now have CAT's in the mufflers too , a lot of the fellows gut them to open them up for better performance. EPA regs have been tough on the power equipment industry.

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
That would be a nice run on a bike . I sold my Sportster 2 years ago and miss it but I have a bad hip and it wasn't working out well plus for longer trips a Road King to me is the way to roll.
Lots of different beer out west as for anywhere up here. I have some craft beer that I really enjoy now . My oldest son just got posted out to Halifax NS , some good seafood and beer im waiting to try.(y)
Yup. did it on a sporty. took 7 days to go 1100 miles cause we stopped at every bar along the way.
did a 15k mile trip the year before alone on that 77 sporty. CA to FL to MA back to FL and then back to Cali.
Only problem was a minor generator issue , a chain , and a rear tire.

everyone was saying a sporty wouldnt make that kind of trip. this was pre-evo days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You did some long miles on that Sporty , you're a member of the "iron pants club" for sure ! (y) :cool: Mine was a 95 with a Wisco 1200 kit on it , cam and a few other goodies , it sure would move and I did a lot of day trips on it . A lot of guys say a Sporty is a girls bike but they are more reliable than most, I sure miss mine. Thing I see a lot of the last year or two is bikers getting killed from distracted drivers in this area , not sure why.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome neighbor from Buffalo, New York. I used to cross the Peace Bridge to get cases of "Brador" and "Extra Stock". Of coarse the LaBatts XXX is a nice strong one also.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome neighbor from Buffalo, New York. I used to cross the Peace Bridge to get cases of "Brador" and "Extra Stock". Of coarse the LaBatts XXX is a nice strong one also.
Excellent choices ! (y)
I see you avatar honoring the battle of the Bulge , my father was to the north of that with the CDN military.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Excellent choices ! (y)
I see you avatar honoring the battle of the Bulge , my father was to the north of that with the CDN military.
God bless our Vets and the freedom we enjoy daily. My Dad came in through Normandy, Central France, Northern Europe and the Battle of the Bulge. Grateful for our allies in Canada and England for their incredible support!!! My Dads' brothers were in WWII Navy & Army Air Force supporting the Pacific Theater also. Thanks for your correct observation and thanks for your Dad's brave support!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts