Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1977 Jacobsen 626 snowblower that I've been giving TLC for past several weeks after CL purchase...Only prob I fear---Is the Tec 6hp gov working..or even working correctly...If I run up the throttle, rpm's go pretty high...and lever is vey sensitive...Seems to remind me of a failed internal gov ? Does anyone have an idea on how to properely check the gov action on a running H60, with no load on it.? I hate to wait for the snowfall...then find out its not working...or I blow the eng up...!!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Can't offer any personal help but doneyboy73 has a youtube video on setting Tecumseh governors. He has a video for just about everything. sixtyfiveford is another good one to reference.m

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx Joe...Yes, familiar with donniboy vids...Will check on 65ford..Load testing is really never mentioned...I believe the position lock of the gov rod is correct...Just wondering if I'm seeing a weak movement, something internal..? If it were on a mower, or whatever, easy to put a load on and see if it responds correctly..Getting tempted to tie a long rope to the auger, try to drag a cement block maybe..Just afraid I'll wind up on dumb and dumber,,,!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
If the high end is set to 3600 no load rpms as Powershift stated, there is no chance of overspeed when the governor is engaged, providing the governor is adjusted to provide wide open throttle at its full engagement position. Loads vary as does the movement stroke of the governor arm. MH

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx motorhead...your last sentence is what I'm dealing with...'Load varies and so does the movement of the gov arm''...My concern is "proper arm movement"..EX: If I go to half throttle in neutral, then drive fwd a little, eng speed drops a bit, If I increase throttle,sorta feesl like I'm overcompensating...I'm not concerned about max rpm [3600]....Just want to see the rpm recover under load, and I'm not sure it will,,,especially when asked to blow deep snow...Hence, Seeking a way to load test "Prior" to snowstorms...and wondering if anyone ever devised a method...Only other thought I had, try Gov load test thru drive wheels---put snowblower into a wall..somehow allow tires to slip, as gov recovers and revs......? Or would it be another Jackass video..? Ironic, I know landscaper that tests his z turn hydros like that..but I'm gear driven....Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Got sawdust?
consumerreports
Mostly kidding.
Today was the first time I was able to load test some blowers I bought over the summer.
Meaning we finally got a little snow for the first time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well.....we're at 50 deg on recent afternoons...plenty of rain every few days...No snow..So maybe I shouldn't even worry about the gov on snowblower...!
Realizing just about every other gas powered yard machine can offer some sense of gov working..[turning on mower deck of tractor, engage tiller, even nudge a trimmer into ground...BUT...I can't see how to check it on a snowblower..until it's too late..

·
Registered
709 Posts
You should be able run it up to 2500 or so, push the governor lever to change the rpm, and feel it push back to correct itself.

Everyone says 3600 rpm but I like to keep it a touch lower.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just tried the "push back" test on Gov....Seems good....Did it at about half throttle, strong return to setting....Simple, dunno why I couldn't think of this...But, that's the beauty of Forum....Thnx

·
Registered
709 Posts
The throttle control pulls a lever that pulls a spring that pulls the governor to open the carb throttle. The governor pushes back against that. Sounds like your spring is adjusted too tight or there's something else going on in that area. You might also have to verify the linkage between the carb and governor to make sure it has the right bends and is in the right holes, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thnx again...Yes..I had knowledge of how the external parts work to regulate RPM's...Just found it to be very sensitive at throttle settings...and scared me into thinking that maybe warning signs of soon to fail internal Gov..So wanted a way to test it..I think I'll be OK...thou it's still sensitive --- acts like it wants to run away when I raise throttle..so I may have to move lever more slowly...I'll recheck those Youtube vids again..Now that I know it does hold and recover...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts