Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hows it going everybody, great forum so far!

New guy here, bought my first snowblower, (Well first that ive bought and kept for myself.)

Picked it up "not running" for $50, planned on getting it in good working order, and selling it for a bit more, but decided to keep it this season since it ran and worked SO well.

Its an older model, Yard-Man Snowbird, I found the ID stickers on the rear panel, where theres a model and serial, but neither bring anything up online.

Model says "31220 0 10690" But it looks like that last "1" might be an "I"
Serial: 41-008-8785

We got a few more inches last night, and I fired her up today, and the chain popped off the auger sprocket coming out of the (transmission?)

I got it back on, and realized 2 of the 4 bolts holding the front auger/shield/chute part were missing, causing the whole assembly to shift a good half inch or so, which I believe now killed the bearing in the little rod that comes out of the engine/transmission with the sprocket for the auger chain.

I ran out, got 4 new bolts and locking nuts, got them in and tight, started snowblowing again and within 20-30 seconds the chain popped off again, so I decided to tear it down bolt by bolt, got the front off, handles off, and popped the bottom cover off, and everything checks out great besides that pulley.

I will attach a couple pictures I shot after I got it running, its the little rod that comes out that has the sprocket for the auger chain. The bolts and everything are/is tight and snug, but the rod just wiggles all over, leaving the bearing to be the only culprit.

Had a few buyers lined up to buy it soon, so id like to order this part and get her going again.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
If you can get the bearing out you could check the old one for a part number, or measure it and order by size. You could also take the old one to an industrial / bearing supply warehouse and they should be able to measure it and match up a new one for you.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. That appears to be a newer replacement motor, you did well for $50. The original motor was a 3 1/2hp Tecumseh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts