Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craftsman 5/24 Trac-Plus
Code 326811636
I took it apart and I cant figure out what needs fixing. The auger pulley was wobbling to the point that you couldn't tighten the belt enough to make it work in snow. When I got it apart here was no key in the slot and the 2 set screws on the pulley were wore flush. Not sure if the shaft is wore or the pulley is wore. Maybe the builder made it sloppy to begin with and the set screws tightened everything up? Would appreciate some advice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You might need a new auger shaft bearing,

Remove the 3 nuts in pic number 2, and remove the bearing to inspect it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bearing is fine with no movement. The shaft is tight with no movement. It is either the pulley or the shaft is wallowed out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just noticed the pic of the snowblower I sent was not the correct photo. All the pics of the pulleys etc were correct. I accidentally sent a pic of my 10/32 in the post. Here is the correct pic.
IMG_8250.jpeg IMG_8249.jpeg IMG_8249.jpeg

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Check the shaft diameter with a micrometer in several places. Looks like it may be a little worn, which can be addressed with some shim stock if needed. Since the key was not present, that would likely be your problem. And as we said, also remove the 3 nuts on the bearing cup and check the condition of the bearing underneath.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya that's what I am gonna try first. I think it's the shaft that has the most wear creating the slop and that would be an expensive fix.
Thanks all

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
My bad jerryvvv. You are 100% correct. I completely forgot that it was keyed on thr shaft. Most of mine have a roll pin which serves both purposes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put a new key in and tightened the set screws. Its like new now with no wobble. I don't have any snow to test it but it seems ok. Gonna do the rubber paddle thing and wait for snow. Thanks for the advice all.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hello snow blows,

If you have time you should remove the set screws and drill a tiny dimple in the set screw hole for the point of the set screw to anchor to and use a drop of blue loctite to hold it them place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Too late but good advice thanks. It had red loctite on it and it took a several allen wrenches and half a tank of propane to get the damn things loose. Took longer to get the set screws out than the whole repair took.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After the repair even though it looks fine the belt adjustment is at the maximum adjustment. When I get a spare belt how much smaller should I get 1"?

·
Registered
141 Posts
After the repair even though it looks fine the belt adjustment is at the maximum adjustment. When I get a spare belt how much smaller should I get 1"?
One inch would be WAY too short,
1/2 inch shorter at the most,

Your old belt has probably just stretched over time, belts do that, they get "longer" over time,

I would buy the same size belt, it should be fine, a brand new belt the same size will be "shorter" then your old one,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts