Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do when you can't find an engine number?

The MTD Snowflite model is 319-800b k038b (i know this is not the engine number)

I got a free snowblower and cant find the engine number anywhere. I've heard people finding it on the pull cord and on the rewind shroud but no luck there for me.

The float is punctured. Carbs for this era thrower are fairly cheap so I want to just get a new one but dont know the exact engine number.

Any tips on ID'ing this 1983-84ish tecumseh engine or picking a carb for it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Welcome to SBF, Savan
Look on the top of the fan shroud. If it has an electric start button that is held on by 2 1/4" hex screws remove them and the engine number will be there. If it has no electric start it should be visible there but you may have to wet it and/or wipe it off. You can also try Googling "Tecumseh engine ID lookup. " There may be a glued on tag somewhere on the bottom of the shroud as well. I don't recall seeing numbers anywhere else on Tecumseh engines.

You may try posting a pic of your engine as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I'll check under the shroud today. nothing on the other locations and the engine id links that I was able to find were for 2004 and later.

I'll report back my findings.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Read Only
871 Posts
funny that that all of my mtd parts books fail to list that model number as ever being made.. even google can't find it..

·
Registered
453 Posts
Throwing out the welcome mat for your first post...Welcome to the SBF from Gettysburg address

·
Registered
24 Posts
got any pictures?

most old snowking techumeshs are designated as H or HS (for example H50-XXXXX is model H and 50 is 5hp, then the last numbers are just what number in the factory it was made, Hs100-XXXXX model is HS and 100 is 10hp, and manufacturer number)

basicly there the same thing, just HS is newer and lighter.

just find the hp number and get a carb the looks like it. worse things worse just return it

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
If that machine is anything close to what i restored for a family member, in my virtual garage here, it was a real pain finding the tractor case bearings. Not trying scare, just informing.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to SBF Savan

From the looks of the starter I'd guess it's an H40 (4 hp) or H50 (5 hp). Did you unscrew and look under the starter button assembly on the top of the flywheel shroud ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts