Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
New member here. So I purchased a 05 MTD Yard Machine with a Tecumseh LH358SA-159502Z engine.

I noticed the carb was leaking at the bowl so instead of messing with it I replaced the entire carb.

After replacing it I primed it and noticed some gas was leaking from the carb, see pic the bracket is in the way but that is where it is coming from.

I am fairly handy but this is the first snowblower I worked on. Is this normal b/c there is no air filter or do I need to adjust something?

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
That's theair intake, and if you heavily prime, of course fuel can dribble out - thqt's where the primer injects it! Completely normal, and made worse if you over-prime. (And you bought a carb for nothing . . .).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's theair intake, and if you heavily prime, of course fuel can dribble out - thqt's where the primer injects it! Completely normal, and made worse if you over-prime. (And you bought a carb for nothing . . .).
Ok thanks, makes sense. That wasn’t where it was leaking with the old one. It was from the corrosion between the bowl and gasket, it was pouring out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Your old one probably just needed a cleaning, worst case a rebuild kit with a new needle and seat, your needle was not seating on the seat, so the gas wasn't shutting off, a leaky float can also do that and weigh the needle down, good to know if you ever need the old carb as backup. A 12 rebuild kit comes with the bowl gasket, needle, seat and a few other pieces, with that you would have been fine. But that new carburetor is nice, is it an OEM one or a good aftermarket? What brand and how much was the replacement? Yes when you prime the carb you will see it get wet and sometimes slightly drip from the throat, thats normal. No need to ever hit the primer more than 3 times. In warm weather like today, you wont even need to prime it, choke will get it going on its own, the primer is for below 32 degrees, usually even colder than that really. The really old Tecumseh's didn't even have a suction primer, choke was it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your old one probably just needed a cleaning, worst case a rebuild kit with a new needle and seat, your needle was not seating on the seat, so the gas wasn't shutting off, a leaky float can also do that and weigh the needle down, good to know if you ever need the old carb as backup. A 12 rebuild kit comes with the bowl gasket, needle, seat and a few other pieces, with that you would have been fine. But that new carburetor is nice, is it an OEM one or a good aftermarket? What brand and how much was the replacement? Yes when you prime the carb you will see it get wet and sometimes slightly drip from the throat, thats normal. No need to ever hit the primer more than 3 times. In warm weather like today, you wont even need to prime it, choke will get it going on its own, the primer is for below 32 degrees, usually even colder than that really. The really old Tecumseh's didn't even have a suction primer, choke was it.
Thanks for the info. I looked for a rebuild kit but just thought it’s from 05 so why not replace it. I would have saved some money though haha. The carb is an Oregon I got it from eReplacementParts for $51.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
For what it's worth, I have some equipment with carbs from the 50's or 60's that look and work as good as new. Properly stored and maintained, it's not an item that suffers from age much . . . just spend the few bucks to replace rubber parts every so often and rock on . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For what it's worth, I have some equipment with carbs from the 50's or 60's that look and work as good as new. Properly stored and maintained, it's not an item that suffers from age much . . . just spend the few hucks to repla rrubber parts every so often and rock on . . .
Good to know, thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts