Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor gave a me generator over the weekend. I know this is a snow blower forum but everyone here has always been so helpful. If this can't be posted here maybe someone know of a good generator forum? Someone gave it to her about 5 years ago and it's been sitting in her shed ever since. She never once started it so it has a full tank of very old gasoline.

I siphoned out as much gas as I could and there was only a little left. I then added some fresh fuel.

I found the owners manual online and the one thing it mentioned is that there is a plug under the fuel shutoff valve that they call a sediment cup that should be cleaned. So I cleaned that but it still wouldn't start. (I didn't expect that to work)

Now here's my question. My knowledge of carburetor's is limited to Briggs & Stratton lawn mowers where I usually just drop the bowl & clean it with some carb cleaner. But this looks much different. You can see in the pictures below there is a green cap on the bottom of carb with a hose that goes somewhere. I really don't have a lot of confidence in myself to disasemble very many parts to try to clean the carburetor. Is there any easy way I might be able to get this open & clean it out? And no, I'm positive that a gummed up carb is the problem but I figured it was the best place to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
I see a silver valve near the flywheel cover (photo #2). Are you sure that’s not a fuel shutoff valve that’s turned off? I can’t tell if the black tubing goes to it.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
The green wire looks to me like it's probably an anti-backfire solenoid. If that's a wire, put your fingers on the solenoid, and turn the key on. You should feel the solenoid click open, to allow fuel to flow up into the carb jet.

You could check out the generator section of Power Equipment Forum

I would start simple. Remove the air filter, spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake, and see if it will run for a few seconds. If so, you have spar and compression, just no fuel.

I'd open the fuel shutoff, and drain fuel through the carb bowl, to ensure you're getting flow to the carb, and to also get the old gas out of the carb. It looks to me like the gold-colored bolt extending horizontally near the bottom of the carb might be a bowl drain. You could see if this one will loosen and drain fuel out. Alternately, you could loosen the solenoid from the bottom.

Congrats on the free generator!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
You didn't mention that you'd drained the carb bowl and let the new gas run through to remove water, impurities, etc. The drain is the bolt that also has a phillips cross right above the fuel solenoid.

·
Registered
827 Posts
+1 on tabora's and Red's advice. You need to isolate the problem: fuel, spark or compression. Don't go changing out parts until you have identified the probable cause.

tx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You didn't mention that you'd drained the carb bowl and let the new gas run through to remove water, impurities, etc. The drain is the bolt that also has a phillips cross right above the fuel solenoid.
I did not drain the carb bowl because I wasn't sure how to do that. I have a siphon so I siphoned all of the old gas out of the fuel tank and added some fresh gas. I understand that's definitely not the same as draining the carb bowl. When you refer to the drain bolt, is it on the carb or near the fuel shut off valve? Sorry for the dumb questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 on tabora's and Red's advice. You need to isolate the problem: fuel, spark or compression. Don't go changing out parts until you have identified the probable cause.

tx
Thanks. I wasn't planning on swapping anything out, I would bet anything that it's bad gas & a possible gummed up carb that just needs a good cleaning. She did tell me that the gas has been in the tank for several years.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
First, just drain the carb as mentioned. Often that will sort things out all by itself. If that doesn't do it, perform a carb bowl, jet (high speed and pilot) and emulsion tube cleaning...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First, just drain the carb as mentioned. Often that will sort things out all by itself. If that doesn't do it, perform a carb bowl, jet (high speed and pilot) and emulsion tube cleaning...
I'm not very skilled with this stuff so some of that is over my head. But is this the drain for carb in the picture below?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well thanks to everyone's help here I've narrowed it down a bit. I opened that drain on the bottom of the carb like Tabora suggested & barely any gas came out. Just a few very small drops which is odd because there is still a considerable amount of gas in the tank. I also tried moving the shut off valve to the other position just for the heck of it and still nothing. I then took the air filter off & sprayed some carb cleaner into the carb & it started up & shut right off. I did that a few times with the same result. So based on both of those finding I would have to figure there is a problem somewhere in the fuel line before the carb? Maybe even an obstruction in the fuel tank? I'm probably just going to give up on it because I get too frustrated when I cannot figure out the problem.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Did you remove the sediment bowl below the fuel valve and clean it out? If fuel flows there, try cleaning the fuel line. If not, unscrew the fuel valve and clean the intake screen. Hey, this is all easy stuff compared to engine internals. Stick with it a bit and you'll be rewarded!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the first thing I did before I even posted here was clean out that sediment cup. I'll try to play around with the fuel line tomorrow. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Yeah, don't give up! Or if you do, what's your address? :) This is solvable. Worst case, in an area where you can drip gas, disconnect the fuel line before the fuel shutoff, make sure you have flow there. Then re-connect, and check right after the shutoff, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, don't give up! Or if you do, what's your address? :) This is solvable. Worst case, in an area where you can drip gas, disconnect the fuel line before the fuel shutoff, make sure you have flow there. Then re-connect, and check right after the shutoff, etc.
I wasn't really planning on giving up on it, I'll play around with it more this weekend when I will have extra time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Even if it finally starts, I'd do a full carb clean and replace the fuel line(s). Five years is a long time to let gasoline just sit around, you likely have varnish buildup in all sorts of places.

Tearing down the carb isn't difficult. Just go slowly and keep track of all the parts. They key areas to clean will be the jets and the needle + seat. You can get carb cleaner spray which will help a lot. You should be able to see clearly and cleanly through all jets. Do NOT "clean" them by running a wire or drill bit through them, they will be damaged and then have to be replaced. Cleaning is fast and easy.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I see this so often where people do not add any additives to there gas, do not run the equipment, and just let it sit for years...…. actually, I have received a few for free for that exact reason.

Of course the outcome is going to be the same under those conditions …. an entire f....d up fuel system.

Additive (I use Stabil and half the rate of the recommended amount of SeaFoam) is put in all my 5 gallon gas cans year round. If you are not using your equipment, you still have to periodically start and run them awhile. If you have gas in say a generator for over 2 years, maybe you want to drain that gas tank and put it in a machine that is running that season, and refill it with the proper additive gas for stand by readiness. Also note, that all my equipment, summer and winter machines, are using 5W30 Full Synthetic motor oil, and can be operated in year round conditions. Never fire up an engine on any machine, in the winter, using a 30W reg. oil.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts