Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Even if it finally starts, I'd do a full carb clean and replace the fuel line(s). Five years is a long time to let gasoline just sit around, you likely have varnish buildup in all sorts of places.

Tearing down the carb isn't difficult. Just go slowly and keep track of all the parts. They key areas to clean will be the jets and the needle + seat. You can get carb cleaner spray which will help a lot. You should be able to see clearly and cleanly through all jets. Do NOT "clean" them by running a wire or drill bit through them, they will be damaged and then have to be replaced. Cleaning is fast and easy.
Unfortunately that's all beyond my expertise. Like I said above my carb knowledge is limited to my lawn mowers where I just drop the bowl & clean it out. If you look at the pictures I posted this looks a lot more involved & I don't even know where to start to disassemble it.

Also, unfortulately right now I'm battling an unbearable case of vertigo & I can barely even stand up so it's going to be at least a few days before I can look at it again.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Sorry you're experiencing the vertigo; that can be very unsettling. From what you've said so far (and what you haven't), it would seem the issue lies in the fuel hose itself or in the carburetor float valve. Take the hose off and insure that the fuel flows from the fuel valve when you crack it open, and then run a pipe cleaner or equivalent through the hose (or just replace it). Spray your carb cleaner in where the hose was connected, and also open the bowl drain valve again and spray it up in there liberally, then close the drain screw and let it sit a while.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
OK, you say someone gave it to your neighbor, and there it sat for 5 years . . . Any idea the overall age of the unit?

I ask, since I have seen fuel line that is very old break down to the point that it pretty much closes up internally, and you get exactly what you are seeing - low to no fuel flow, and likely crud in what does flow. Myself, I'd pull the lines off and replace no matter what at this point, since if that IS the case, any more playing with it is likely going to just send crud into the carb (which may well be fine, since it had not run in such a long time, none of the crap may be in it yet!).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sorry to hear about the vertigo. I've had it before and meclazine helps. It's marketed over the counter under "Dramamine", but be sure to read the label and get meclazine. Also, there is a movement called the "Epley movement" that you should look up on the internet and try. It moves the head in a certain way and has been helpful for a lot of people.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry to hear about the vertigo. I've had it before and meclazine helps. It's marketed over the counter under "Dramamine", but be sure to read the label and get meclazine. Also, there is a movement called the "Epley movement" that you should look up on the internet and try. It moves the head in a certain way and has been helpful for a lot of people.
Thank you for those tips! I actually ended up going to urgent care on Sunday because it was so bad. I was worried it might actually be an inner ear infection but it was not. I have had vertigo bouts in the past but it's been quite a few years since the last time and it was never this bad. Anyway they gave me a precription for Meclazine 25MG and it has helped quite a bit although the side effect is that it makes me very drousy. The Doctor also gave me some excercises to do, I'll have to search the Epley movement and see if it's the same thing she told me to do. Again thanks so much for the tips, this has been an awful week but I'm slowing starting to feel a little better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK, you say someone gave it to your neighbor, and there it sat for 5 years . . . Any idea the overall age of the unit?

I ask, since I have seen fuel line that is very old break down to the point that it pretty much closes up internally, and you get exactly what you are seeing - low to no fuel flow, and likely crud in what does flow. Myself, I'd pull the lines off and replace no matter what at this point, since if that IS the case, any more playing with it is likely going to just send crud into the carb (which may well be fine, since it had not run in such a long time, none of the crap may be in it yet!).
I would guess that it's about 10 years old. It's a Kingcraft model #1705. From a quick search of the internet it seems it was possibly sold at Aldi's around 2009.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Heh, I only discovered it recently, but I love Aldi's. "Yes, I'll have 10 bananas, a steak, a set of plates, and a generator, please" :)

I'm sorry about the vertigo, some friends have dealt with that, it sounds miserable. I had a bout with it once, and only briefly (thankfully), but that was a fairly awful few hours. The room was spinning, I stood up and kinda toppled over sideways.

I hope you feel better soon.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts