Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This Ariens 924039 was a curbside pickup back in May. 924039 means it has ball bearings for the axles, 8hp engine, with a differential. It's kind of a neat machine.

Its original Tecumseh HM80 has compression, and it will be revived for another project in the future. However, as I currently have a surplus of suitable running OHV engines, the Tecumseh was removed this afternoon.

Plant Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Road surface

The "new" engine is a 196cc Hemi from a Generac pressure washer.

Plant Automotive tire Wood Tire Vehicle

The engine swap is a straightforward process. You have to knock off the factory engine mounting studs as the old 8hp Tecumseh used the "rear" mounting holes, and the new engine uses the "forward" holes:

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood

I was able to remove the factory pulley from the Tecumseh engine, and it slipped onto the Generac engine with the use of a 3/4" to 1" crankshaft adapter.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Road surface Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Asphalt

Everything lines up and you can use the stock belts and belt keeper+hardware. I only had to bend the eye bolt for the chute crank rod slightly so that the chute crank rod would clear the valve cover.

Next on the to-do list is to free up the drive system, as it's currently stuck in one forward gear. I have a set of 3-lug wheels with X-Tracs on them already installed that I'll probably end up using.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I ran into a bit of a snag while trying to remove the friction disk slider hub from the hex shaft. My MAPP gas torch just didn't deliver enough heat, and soaking it with PB Blaster for days at a time couldn't free it up either.

As I had accumulated quite a bit of Amazon rewards points over the last several years, I decided to splurge on an induction heater.

Not just any induction heater, but the Inductions Innovations Mini Ductor Venom HP that has 1800W of power. It's made in the USA and comes with a 2-year warranty. There are cheaper ones for less, but they typically top out at 1000W, and their reviews were iffy. I didn't buy it just for this project, I am hoping to use it for both snowblower repair and car repair projects eventually.

I am happy to report that the induction heater got it done with ease. I heated up the hub for about a minute and then moved the assembly to a makeshift extraction station (I stack up two 15" alloy wheels with a suitable center hub diameter). With the friction disk slider hub resting on the alloy wheel and the hex shaft pointed to the ground, I put a socket over the hex shaft, and then I was able to pound out the hex shaft with a 4 lb sledge. The beauty of the induction heater is that you are able to localize the heat to the part you are heating up, and you don't have to deal with open flame.

I seem to have misplaced a few parts like a couple of roll pins, so this project will be ever so slightly delayed. I should have it wrapped up by the end of the month.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
A You Tuber here in Ontario called Eliminator Performance has several videos on using a similar unit. Appears to be a great tool, especially if you are working on automotive or OPE on a regular basis.

Him and his father own an OPE repair shop and he has made some very good instructional videos for OPE repairs.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A You Tuber here in Ontario called Eliminator Performance has several videos on using a similar unit. Appears to be a great tool, especially if you are working on automotive or OPE on a regular basis.

Him and his father own an OPE repair shop and he has made some very good instructional videos for OPE repairs.

Yup, that top video is what convinced me to get that same unit, and I used the same techniques shown in the bottom video to remove a stubborn wheel from my Toro 6521 earlier today.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The missing parts have been sourced and installed, and now this snowblower starts/runs/shifts/drives as expected!

In case anyone was interested in the technical specs of the Generac 196cc engine... It's made by Loncin (the same manufacturer as the Hemi Predator) and has a 68x54mm bore+stroke. The block is etched with "200F" (whereas the Hemi Predator 212cc engine is known as the G210FA).

Font Gas Automotive tire Concrete Number

I was able to locate an owner's manual from Loncin for it, and the dry weight is listed as being just 36 lbs. That represents a 20 lb weight savings over the HM80 that it replaced. The snowblower does feel pretty nimble when I push it around.

I also replaced the iffy spark plug with an NGK BPR6ES plug which I usually do with all Honda clone engines.

Gas Wood Nut Auto part Machine

I would like to test with it blowing some snow at least once before I sell it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The missing parts have been sourced and installed, and now this snowblower starts/runs/shifts/drives as expected!

In case anyone was interested in the technical specs of the Generac 196cc engine... It's made by Loncin (the same manufacturer as the Hemi Predator) and has a 68x54mm bore+stroke. The block is etched with "200F" (whereas the Hemi Predator 212cc engine is known as the G210FA).

View attachment 200045

I was able to locate an owner's manual from Loncin for it, and the dry weight is listed as being just 36 lbs. That represents a 20 lb weight savings over the HM80 that it replaced. The snowblower does feel pretty nimble when I push it around.

I also replaced the iffy spark plug with an NGK BPR6ES plug which I usually do with all Honda clone engines.

View attachment 200046

I would like to test with it blowing some snow at least once before I sell it.

This probably isn't really relevant to the discussion, but I think as of recent no one actually knows who makes the hemi Predator engines. I think there was a rumor that it was Loncin but I recall that changing?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Really? I thought this was old news, that the non-hemi version is made by Rato and the hemi version is made by Loncin.

The Hemi Predator from 2015 on my 6521 says "Loncin Motor Co., LTD" on the flywheel cover.

View attachment 200048

I don't know,
I could be remembering wrong but when I bought my 420 hemi I'm pretty sure it had become a "no one really knows anymore" But I don't remember where, or how or why I came to that conclusion.

My 420 from this time last year has no indication of who made it.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@ChrisJ For what it's worth, I looked at the pics of your 420 hemi, and I think it's a Loncin-made unit for numerous reasons:

1) It has the same vent hose from the gas tank that goes into the top lid of the airbox, just like on my Hemis
2) The muffler cover is flat with vertical cutouts. The muffler also has a spark arrestor
3) The top of the airbox and the gas tank have similar looking ridges, and the gas caps have the same 5-star shaped indents for fingers
4) When compared to the stock pic of a Loncin G420F engine, its valve cover looks identical to your 420cc hemi
5) Both the G420F and your 420 hemi have that rectangular canister below the valve cover

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Product Cameras & optics Camera accessory Automotive tire Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

You are welcome to draw your own conclusions regarding your 420cc, but as far as I'm concerned, Loncin made my Hemis.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
@ChrisJ For what it's worth, I looked at the pics of your 420 hemi, and I think it's a Loncin-made unit for numerous reasons:

1) It has the same vent hose from the gas tank that goes into the top lid of the airbox, just like on my Hemis
2) The muffler cover is flat with vertical cutouts. The muffler also has a spark arrestor
3) The top of the airbox and the gas tank have similar looking ridges, and the gas caps have the same 5-star shaped indents for fingers
4) When compared to the stock pic of a Loncin G420F engine, its valve cover looks identical to your 420cc hemi
5) Both the G420F and your 420 hemi have that rectangular canister below the valve cover

View attachment 200076

View attachment 200075

View attachment 200077
View attachment 200078

You are welcome to draw your own conclusions regarding your 420cc, but as far as I'm concerned, Loncin made my Hemis.
You do certainly provide a lot of evidence suggesting you're right.

What's your overall opinion on your engine (s)? Build quality etc.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's your overall opinion on your engine (s)? Build quality etc.
I've purchased four 212cc Predators since 2015, and I've also recently picked up the pair of 196cc Generac engines with pressure washer frames still attached to them.

I find them to be solid engines overall. I believe quality could be improved in the following parts:

1) better quality recoil string
2) better quality paint on the muffler cover
3) spark plug
4) the protective rubber outer layer over the ignition coil wire usually cracks over time. you can kind of see it here

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Rim

These issues can be remedied and should not be considered a dealkiller, especially when they were ~$100 USD at the time of purchase. I'm about to hit the 7th year of ownership on the 212cc Hemi that's on my Toro 6521.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think my Ariens with the Predator 212 on it is now around 8 years in service, still runs like day one .... :)

I started my 420 a week ago with the pull starter just because and started and ran normal.
But still seemed like the idle circuit is just a tad lean even with it in the 70s out., I guess that's not entirely surprising without an air filter.

But I think I'm gonna end up trying to enlarge the idle jet just a hair... because I'm me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts