Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
This 924039 now has the spare wheels with X-Tracs installed. The rims themselves are a bit crusty, but they hold air and the X-tracs have had minimal use under my ownership.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Toy

I may install a taller chute at some point, and I still need to free up the differential lockout hub.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
As an aside... The original HM80 engine is getting some love from me so that I can use it on a future project. It is aesthetically challenged, but it has spark and compression, so I think it's worth saving.

I got rid of the clunky throttle cable setup that sits atop of the carburetor in favor of the newer carburetor design with the throttle plate mounted on the side of the flywheel. I also changed out the fuel line and installed NOS Tecumseh governor linkages and NOS choke pieces:

p/n for the throttle plate: 34677
p/n for the throttle knob: 35440
p/n for the governor linkages: 33878 / 34667
p/n for the updated carburetor: 632334A
p/n for the choke bracket/choke rod/choke knob: 34587B / 34586 / 35438

You have to drill an extra hole on the flywheel cover for the throttle plate, and another on the carb cover for the choke knob shaft to poke through:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Gas

The benefit of this conversion is that you no longer have to rely on a remote mounted throttle lever, and the adjustable carburetor is $10-$15 all day long on amazon/ebay.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I believe you when you say yours is a turd. Can't save them all.

It is kind of a crapshoot as some of these engines are now coming up on 45-50 years of service, and we typically don't know their service history. However, I've owned several 70s vintage HM80s and some of them run beautifully after minimal prep work.

Two seasons ago, I had a $25 1976 twin stick with show up at my door with a bunch of pieces missing:

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Grass Plant

I was going to give up on that engine, but I already had all of the pieces that it was missing. Sure enough, it ran so well afterwards that I put put it back in service and installed it on a snowblower that was 27 years younger:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

I also have the 1978 HM80 which was sitting on my 1976/1978 924026 until earlier this year:

Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

It is possibly the best running Tecumseh I've ever owned, and I've probably owned 20-30 (and counting). Even the exhaust smells clean, like an OHV engine. It is now sitting on a Bolens 824 snowblower that's probably 8 years newer than that engine.

Oh and what does that 924026 have for an engine now? A late 1980s HM80 with solid state ignition.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Not surprisingly, this HM80 is another clean-running specimen with many years of service left (I had to mount it on an makeshift engine stand so that I didn't have to hold the engine down with my foot while I was trying to start it). I also had to swap out the gas tank with a spare one that didn't have old gas in it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
@db130
I think my opinion of beautiful running is different than other's.
But I also get it if someone's trying to restore an older machine. I completely get it.

If anyone's interested I'd probably be ok with donating my HSMK to someone that has a use for it. The OEM adjustable carb I put on it I bought new I think for $90 back in 2015. There's most likely nothing wrong with the engine, I'm just too picky and needed a lot more power.

Here's two older videos of my HMSK running.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
A while back, I made one good snowblower out of two Bolens 824s, and I had a tall chute from that build that had been painted black and white back in 2015. That tall chute complements the existing color scheme on a twin-stick, and it is a 100% bolt-on replacement:

Plant Wheelbarrow Wheel Motor vehicle Grass

It's about 6 inches taller than the stock Ariens chute.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The crusty rims were bothering me, and as I happened to have a nicer pair of rims and an extra set of unmounted Snow Hogs from a mid 2000s MTD snowblower that I parted out earlier this year, I was sufficiently motivated. I do not have a tire changer, but I do have a pair of 10" tire spoons and a pair of vice grips.

The Show Hogs that are being dismounted in the picture below were older specimens that were dry-rotted. I used my vintage Hein-Werner floor jack and my car's hitch receiver to pop the bead.

Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas

Warming up "new" tires against my electric baseboard heater for a few minutes made them soft enough to use tire spoons. I then slathered on some bead sealant, removed the core from the valve stems, and used the ratchet strap method for the bead to seat. 24 hours later, the both tires appear to be holding air:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
The rims with the Snow Hogs were installed today, but while I had the snowblower up in the air, I also freed up the differential lock lever with the Venom induction heater. It's all buttoned up. The only thing remaining I'd like to do is a DIY impeller kit.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Toy

The other two twin-sticks came out to investigate their new stablemate, and after a sniff and greet session, they agreed for a group photo:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt

21 - 33 of 33 Posts