Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a free Tecumseh HM80 engine. HM80 155128E 9026D. I am looking for a replacement engine for my wore out HSK70 on a Toro 724 (I know, wrong thread, I hope you guys will talk to me here). Once I got this engine I saw that it was an older one with internal points and condenser. So I decided to learn how to replace points & condenser, then setup timing. Ended up being straightforward, just had to rig up a dial indicator on the engine, with the head removed. Anyways, I got it back together, and it started fine (Woohoo - timing set correct), and I ran it for 15 minutes or so. Oh, I did clean the head and combustion chamber well, and lapped and set the valves. I also re-painted the shroud and the head brackets. I don't have any throttle cables and linkage for this engine, so that gets to my questions.

- I looked thru sscotsman's site, and I think this engine may be from an Ariens 924 series, but it was painted black. Does that rule out Ariens?
- I would rather have the throttle on the main shroud, but I don't think this engine has the tapped holes on the shroud for the assembly. There appears to be only one tapped hole, and that is for the throttle cable holder. Should I just look for another shroud, or is there an easy was to modify the existing one.

a few pics, including the HSK70 on the left side of the HM80.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I do not have any Toros, but have replaced a few engines. I'm sure you could mod that one to fit. Every engine/machine marriage usually has there set of quirks that need modding. The most straight forward swap, if not identical, was a Predator and a B&S also lined right up for me on the Ariens. Did have to realign the chute rod path.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oneacer: yeah. the Predator would be straight-forward and simple. Where's the fun in that? I have not yet installed the 8hp engine on the Toro 724, but I'm pretty sure I will have to re-align the chute rod if I use the 8hp motor. The engine mounting holes are compatible.

I'm more wondering where this engine was used, so I can look up some of these linkages, etc and maybe find another donor machine for those.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts