Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never seen an engine, whether it's B&S or Tecumseh, fail quite like this before.

Picked up this old Craftsman branded Tecumseh 8HP engine to put on my Craftsman II 5/23 tracked machine as the original 5HP just wasn't doing it for me. Long story short, the 8HP engine burned far too much oil than I ever expected...

And now I know why.... Behold!

The wrist pin clip was found in the bottom of the engine. Being a rebuilt block, something tells me the re-builder did something wrong, the clip came out of the piston and the wrist pin began to shift digging into the cylinder wall.

Have any of you encountered something like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
A little JB weld and be as good as new ..........NOT WOW that could be a issue.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Don't ask me how I know this but if you're a young kid just getting started with engines, have an engine apart, lose one of the clips, and replace it with a bit of bent paperclip that can happen... :facepalm_zpsdj194qh

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Looks like a $99 Predator is in your future.
Not for him, He replaced that one with a 8hp because it was ummm Well burning oil LOL

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Not for him, He replaced that one with a 8hp because it was ummm Well burning oil LOL
I'm confused... the wrist-pin scoring was in the 5HP or the 8HP? :smiley-confused013:

you guys joke... I would try to fix that scoring with JBWELD esp if it's a cast-iron sleeve and the piston didn't get ripped-up... all in the interest of SBF science of course! :nerd:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
These are aluminum blocks with cast iron sleeves right? Can these things be re-sleeved? Is it worth the money? If so, I see an opportunity for a bore and stroke.. :D

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm confused... the wrist-pin scoring was in the 5HP or the 8HP? :smiley-confused013:

you guys joke... I would try to fix that scoring with JBWELD esp if it's a cast-iron sleeve and the piston didn't get ripped-up... all in the interest of SBF science of course! :nerd:
That is the oil burning 5HP, At least that is how I read it but I also read auto correct very well sooooo...... LOL I do believe the oil burning 5HP is the engine, He says it burns oil and now he knows why.
The 5HP just wasn't doing it for me. Long story short, the engine burned far too much oil than I ever expected...

And now I know why.... Behold!

The wrist pin clip was found in the bottom of the engine. Being a rebuilt block, something tells me the re-builder did something wrong, the clip came out of the piston and the wrist pin began to shift digging into the cylinder wall.

Have any of you encountered something like this?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That is the oil burning 5HP, At least that is how I read it but I also read auto correct very well sooooo...... LOL I do believe the oil burning 5HP is the engine, He says it burns oil and now he knows why.
Odd, I thought it was the 8HP. Hmm, re reading it, could be the 5. But he says it was rebuilt, which made me think it was the 8, the new engine.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you install a circlip with the open end to the side the up and down motion of the piston can squeeze the circlip enough that it pops out of the groove. If you install the circlip with the open end pointing up or down the up and down motion of the piston forces the circlip out into the groove and it can't pop out. Many a high revving two cycle engine has been the victim of a novice mechanic who didn't know this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clear things up, it is the first 8HP engine that has failed. I bought two of these Craftsman machines, one to use and one for parts. The one to use is the 5/23 which originally came with a 5HP engine. That engine is fine, nothing wrong with it. Just not enough power to make me happy. The second machine was an 8/26 in rough condition. The transmission failed and the machine had plenty of rust. I salvaged all of the best parts off of this machine excluding the auger/housing which I still have but don't have a use for. I solely bought this one for the 8HP engine and the tracks. The 8HP engine from this machine is the engine that failed and has since been replaced with another 8HP engine in much better condition. Probably should have worded the first post better. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you install a circlip with the open end to the side the up and down motion of the piston can squeeze the circlip enough that it pops out of the groove. If you install the circlip with the open end pointing up or down the up and down motion of the piston forces the circlip out into the groove and it can't pop out. Many a high revving two cycle engine has been the victim of a novice mechanic who didn't know this.
Boy ,you learn something new every day..... so I can take the rest of the day off.:grin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts