Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a repair on the auger box of a Honda 1132. It was cracked between the lower gear box support bolts and the fan housing, about 8 inches across. I welded a piece of 16 gauge steel that goes from the fan housing up the auger box to about an inch below the top gear box support bracket holes, 12 inches wide.Now the gear box bracket doesn't line up. I cut the bracket apart and I am going to weld it back together after a little adjusting. My question is what would be the best way to get the gearbox back into it's happy place? Before I cut it apart, when I bolted the top bolts up, the bottom bolts were about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch forward of their original holes. This box was pretty beat up and my repair changed the profile a bit, not a big deal but I don't want to put the gear box or the shafts in too much of a bind. Any thoughts?

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Just thinking oot loud you might have warped the gear case. might be better off looking for a new 1. just my zombie eyed daydreaming thoughts on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The gear case is fine. Only thing that changed is the auger box where I welded my repair on top, where the 4 bolts are for the gear box strut. I'm thinking just find a spot where the gear box is in a neutral position. I was wondering if anyone has ever adjusted this strut before i.e. cut it apart and reweld it?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I had to read the paragraph a few times, nothing against you but a picture would have helped :D.

The terminology used to describe the situation was a bit different than what I am use to, by auger box I think you mean auger housing and by gearcase I think you mean auger gearbox.

So the auger housing cracked right between the impeller tunnel and the bottom two bolts for the auger gearbox support bracket.

That part of the housing has a slight curve to it and if you didnt roll the piece of steel that you welded then that could have pulled the housing off of its alignment. Also, all the heat from welding could have deformed the metal as well.

Do not cut the bracket and try to adjust it. Best thing to do would be to adjust the fixed part of the auger housing and see if you can bend it back into submission. If the holes are forced to line up on either end i.e. at the auger gearbox or at the upper part where the bracket meets the housing it would put unwanted pressure on the impeller which can cause premature bearing failure or worse have the impeller hit the inside of the auger housing, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
i was talking to the head mechanic at the Honda dealership about this about a month ago. he does not like these gearbox brackets being used .

i thought they were a good improvement as they stabilized the gearbox but he claims they see more gearboxes being damaged because of these brackets. he said since the gearbox is "locked" into place there is no place for the shock to go except for the gearbox. without the bracket , a big shock will be disapated (sp?) by gearbox movement and the shock may take out a shear pin instead. ( or cause less damage )

by shock i mean when the augers encounter a big chunk of ice, wood, or something else that jams or shocks the augers and/or impeller. like in a modern car , they are meant to crumble up to lessen the shock waves. if something stops everything suddenly and the gearbox can not move , he claims the gearbox is more likely to be damaged compared to a lesser shock to it if it is free to move.

not sure about his theory but the way he explained it , it made some sense. He may know since he has worked on thousands of machines and said he has seen more gearboxes damaged that used the brackets than those without.

maybe other members will clarify this. you may be better off not using the bracket if things are a little off kilter rather than putting too much strain on the gearbox if stuff is not perfectly balanced. Maybe [email protected] will chime in with a professional take on it.

this is a very interesting question and look forward to hearing from some veterans about there experiences with gearboxes that are bracketed and those that are not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I tried to describe what I've got going here, and I don't think I have enough post's to put up pics. Maybe I just can't figure it out. Either way, you are correct in your interpretation of my issue. The bracket has already been cut and I'm gonna have to make this work. As I said , the auger box where I had to repair it has changed shape a bit, it was a mess to begin with. I'm trying to make chicken salad out of chicken **** !!

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Ya I tried to describe what I've got going here, and I don't think I have enough post's to put up pics. Maybe I just can't figure it out. Either way, you are correct in your interpretation of my issue. The bracket has already been cut and I'm gonna have to make this work. As I said , the auger box where I had to repair it has changed shape a bit, it was a mess to begin with. I'm trying to make chicken salad out of chicken **** !!
you should be able to post pics maybe if you click "GO ADVANCED" and then go down the page and click MANAGE ATTACHMENTS"

pics would really help.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
i was talking to the head mechanic at the Honda dealership about this about a month ago. he does not like these gearbox brackets being used .

i thought they were a good improvement as they stabilized the gearbox but he claims they see more gearboxes being damaged because of these brackets. he said since the gearbox is "locked" into place there is no place for the shock to go except for the gearbox. without the bracket , a big shock will be disapated (sp?) by gearbox movement and the shock may take out a shear pin instead. ( or cause less damage )
I am no professional on this matter, but from my point of view the support bracket is indeed an improvement, as it keeps the augers centered (remember that this have only stub shafts with only one shear bolt, so it tends to pull the augers to one side).
The other improvement is that the bracket keeps the gearbox from rotating in the direction of the augers making it less pron of wearing or breaking in the event of the augers hitting a hard object).
The reason why he may have seen more broken gearboxes with the support might be because there are considerably more units with the support bracket out there that will get serviced by the dealer, the older the snowblower gets, the less it'll go to the dealer and the older units are the ones that do not have the support bracket.

But this is my opinion alone.....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It looks like Honda added the bracket first to the HS828 K1 B (tracked and wheel) about 1994 or 1995. After that, the HS828s and all HS928s have the bracket.

...The reason why he may have seen more broken gearboxes with the support might be because there are considerably more units with the support bracket out there that will get serviced by the dealer, the older the snowblower gets, the less it'll go to the dealer and the older units are the ones that do not have the support bracket...

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
i believe the bracket was an improvement also. was just pointing out what a Honda mechanic was telling me.

the point being. can the OP run this big 1132 without the bracket if he can't get everything straightened out?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Funny, I've only owned my two Honda's all the years I've been married and had a house. Had snowplowing when we rented.

My oldest (HS828) doesn't have a bracket and my newest (with the auger protection) may never get hit hard enough to test the bracket/auger trans...as long as the APS keeps working :blush:

Never had a problem with the 828. I've sure hit a bunch of things and wrapped enough stuff in the augers over the years though. The H mechanic may be on to something there.

I'd be willing to try running without the bracket, but I'd want to look at it while someone was running in in real conditions.

i believe the bracket was an improvement also. was just pointing out what a Honda mechanic was telling me.

the point being. can the OP run this big 1132 without the bracket if he can't get everything straightened out?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
where i live i have seen a lot of old 828's without the brackets and even some 928's without them when the housing started cracking at the bracket ankors . the owners decided to take it off before it tore up the housing anymore.

however, with the longer 32 inch bucket, i think i would want more stability. hope the OP can post some pics.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still trying to figure out the picture thing (I'm a bit computer challenged) but I did reweld the bracket. I got the gear box in a good spot using the auger shaft as a reference and welded it back up. This is a customers machine and it has had a hard life so there is a bit of slop built into everything. I welded my bracket so it holds the gear box in a straight line with the auger shaft. When you take this support out of these machines, especially the older, more experienced ones, the shaft side or rear of the gear box wants to tilt down. I just picked a happy point between down and up and that's where it's gonna live. The augers will sag a bit in the middle as well with the bracket removed so I found the middle spot there as well. I think it should work great. With the repair on top of the auger box I did, between my welding and the damage that was already there, when bolting up the strut it was putting the gearbox in a serious bind. Now everything has a bit of wiggle or slop. I ran it and it was actually smoother and quieter than it was before my repair. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
^
Good going fixer. I believe JnC and orangputeh have good points, but I bet it'll work.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Nice work on the repair! If you do get that part sorted out, it would be cool to see a picture, preferably before/after, but at least after.

And hopefully the forum can be a resource to you for other items as well, in addition to you sharing your experience.

Reactions: jrom

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
great job fixer. a little slop is actually better than a little bind.

smooooth.............is cool..........

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts

I would stress that specially on a 32" the auger support bracket is a must have IMO.
On all my 'modified' blowers I'll be upgrading the gearbox housing and installing the support bracket (even on the 24" ones).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts