Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Thinking snow even though it is a ways off and thinking about a single stage snow thrower. Have it narrowed down to the Honda 720 and the Arien’s 21” Professional. Have found few reviews of the Arien’s. Many for the Honda. The Arien’s is attractive because of the open design; no plastic shroud to remove for maintenance, all metal construction except for the chute and appears to have pretty good specs. I realize that it uses a Chinese LTC engine which is its downside. The Honda engine is manufactured here in the States by Honda which is pretty nice and the Honda is considered pretty reliable with easy starting. Cost is the same. Any thoughts especially about the Arien’s? Also have been considering the Arien’s compact 20” though it is a lot more money. Be interested in what you folks think of these units in comparison.

·
Retired Moderator
9,928 Posts
:welcome: to SBF Jccabin

How big of an area do you need to clear, what kind of surface ??

Reactions: jsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Surface: Pavement and cement
Space: a sidewalk, short driveway (five cars or so ) and two walks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main use is in a city in western MA where we get anywhere from a dusting to 9-10 inches of wet snow in a Nor’easter. I have also thought of using it to cut paths at my vacation rental cabins in VT. Driveways there are plowed out. That surface is gravel and grass. But the real interest is for the City use. Shoulders aren’t what they use to be, so figure I should invest in a SB.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All my research said when it comes to single stage blowers get the Honda, so that’s what I did. Picked mine up this morning, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
a 720 won't cut it for the occasional storms in western mass. which has not been so occasional in recent years. just my worthless 2 cents.

·
Registered
52 Posts
a 720 won't cut it for the occasional storms in western mass. which has not been so occasional in recent years. just my worthless 2 cents.

No, it won’t work for the big storms, but I decided to opt for the dual blower solution. I’ll use the Honda 720 for most of the storms we get in Eastern MA and I’ll enjoy its light weight and maneuverability a lot.

But I’ll also keep my Ariens 27” blower for the big stuff. Heck, I may even upgrade the Ariens to a Platinum 30” and then have both ends of the spectrum fully covered. Gotta have the right tool for the job...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any thoughts on the Arien’s 21” Professional model? Looks like it debuted a year ago, but there are few reviews for it.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Get the Honda. I have one for my wife and kids to use. When the big storms come, I have my Ariens 11528. I would compare the Honda to a 2 stage 5hp MTD, but easier to maneuver and lighter.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would look at the Toro snowmasters

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is the machine I would like to get . V-maxed how are you liking the Professional 21?

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
why do they have to primer bulbs when honda doesn't? BTW I love my single stage Hondas and use them about 90% of the time. Only need the 2 stage when over 10 inches and berms. (EOD )

·
Registered
113 Posts
Small engines have either primer bulb or choke for easier cold start.

However, this engine have both choke and primer. Don't know why that is? Maybe there is valve that allows the fuel to return to the tank when the engine is not running to protect the carburetor from gumming.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Small engines have either primer bulb or choke for easier cold start.

However, this engine have both choke and primer. Don't know why that is?

Maybe for summer use (mower, etc). But I think all my snow equipment has had both a choke and primer. Rather than one or the other. This is both for 4-strokes on 2-stage machines, as well as 2-stroke single stages.

Reactions: Town

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, the only 4-stroke I've ever owned (however briefly) that had a primer bulb was the Troy-Bilt StormTracker I gave to my son as a housewarming gift. Manual or auto chokes on every other one... 20ish and counting.

"Primers? Primers? We don't need no steenking Primers! Primers are for 2-strokes!"

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am surprised the EPA has not clamped down yet. Dumping unburned fuel into the air. Either choke or primer, not both.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Most Canadian snowblowers (don't know about Honda) have primer and choke. The primer is required for the very cold temperatures but I use the primer for every cold start. As far back as 70's (when I changed from shovel to blower) snowblowers here have had primers and chokes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts