Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will a GX160/200 fuel tank mount correctly where a GX240/270/340/390 fuel tank mounts? i.e. are the three mounting points laid out the same? Was thinking of downsizing my GX240 tank.

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Premium GOT Member
8,226 Posts
the side studs do not line up. I guess you could use just one and cut the other off. The smaller tank also has a middle mounting hole on the carb side. No holes front and back.
I'm sure you could figure something out .

what do they say? necessity is the mother of invention?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curious, why downsize a gas tank?
The GX240 is now on my wood splitter out in the Maine woods (stored under a fitted cover) and there's always a lot of fuel left over in it between uses (I close the gas valve on the carb and run it dry). I was thinking of replacing the 34 year old tank that's kinda surface-rusty on the outside top half, and a friend offered me a GX200 tank from a HS724 (at least I think that was the source). But since it doesn't sound like an exact fit, I'll pass. I'll either take off the tank and refinish/paint it, or buy an aftermarket replacement for $25 or so...
Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium GOT Member
8,226 Posts

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
18.89 with free shipping from Amazon.....

Outdoors & Sqares Otdspares Fuel Tank Honda GX340 GX390 Replaces17510-ZE2-020ZA 17510-ZE3-020ZA 8 9 11 13 HP Engines Without Cap

·
Registered
355 Posts
Being a cheap b*st*rd, I would go for one of these @ $23 delivered if I don't just refinish it...
I understand being cheap, but isn't your time worth anything - refinishing is not clean or quick even though it might be easy. And I can see you spending a few bucks on decent paint, if not a bunch on Locktite Extend. That surface rust might also be on the inside....

If your friend offered you a Honda tank, why not fab an adapter so you can use it? Assuming the offered tank is for free and in good shape.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sheesh, now I'm sorry I even asked... The existing tank is still pristine on the inside, so in all likelihood I'll just bead blast and repaint it when I get a

Scratching my head as to how a Y/N question became 15ish posts. o_O

·
Premium GOT Member
8,226 Posts
Sheesh, now I'm sorry I even asked... The existing tank is still pristine on the inside, so in all likelihood I'll just bead blast and repaint it when I get a

Scratching my head as to how a Y/N question became 15ish posts. o_O
post #2 should have ended it but since you give so MUCH good advice here we are all trying to return the favor.......

now I'm a BIG GOT. for trying to help.

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Administrator
2,117 Posts
If it's just gonna be intermittent use... what about a small gas can with a fuel tap/valve/outlet installed in the low part in a convenient spot? Haul it out there, plug it in, use what you need, then haul it home.
?
You could install a cheap shutoff on the chipper fuel line to keep the mischief out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Scratching my head as to how a Y/N question became 15ish posts

Well this is the internet and everyone has an opinion ! I mean really, you should know better.

ps: I am not going to render an opinion, but that is one ugly top of a fuel tank for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts