Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some members have reported removing, servicing/replacing the carbs on their HS520s with the GC160 engine. For anybody who has taken a carb off of a GC160 or GCV160 engine, you know how tricky it can be to get everything lined up and put back on.

Here's an easy trick for removing and re-installing GC carbs, wether it be the snowblower or lawn mower. Take one of the bolts that hold the carb onto the engine with you to a hardware store. Get two bolts with the same thread pattern, but are a good 1/2" to 3/4" longer. Cut the bolt heads off and remove any burrs that might have been left from cutting the bolt heads off. Or get threaded studs like these:

Those two bolts you just cut off will become "guides" for slipping the gaskets, governor set up and carb back onto the engine. Screw your two modified bolts into the engine where the factory bolts would go. Slip all the gaskets, governor set up, carb, back half of the air cleaner box, in the proper order and orientation over your guides. Like this:

Take one "guide" out while holding the carb in place with your free hand and screw one of the factory bolts in. Remove the second "guide" and screw the other factory bolt in. Wa La, everything is back in place and no fussing with trying to line it all up with the factory bolts.

I don't know how many times I got frustrated with putting a GC carb back on while trying to hold all the bits and pieces together until I discovered that Honda mentioned that sort of thing in their shop manual. It made life so much easier.:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
*SNIP*

Take one "guide" out while holding the carb in place with your free hand and screw one of the factory bolts in. Remove the second "guide" and screw the other factory bolt in. Wa La, everything is back in place and no fussing with trying to line it all up with the factory bolts.

I don't know how many times I got frustrated with putting a GC carb back on while trying to hold all the bits and pieces together until I discovered that Honda mentioned that sort of thing in their shop manual. It made life so much easier.:)
Wa La is written voilà actually

Thanks for the tip by the way, I will do this next time I dissassemble my carburetors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts