Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys value this Honda at? Looks to be in good condition... but I have not seen it in person since its a few hour drive. Always wanted a Honda... but at over $2000 or more for a new one i just could not bring my self to do it. They are asking $1200 for this one. I do not have the serial number and do not know what year it is...

Is this a good buy or not? If not what would be a fair price?

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twelve hundred seems pretty optimistic for this time of year. I'd say more like $800-$850, is what I would price it at. It looks a few years old.
thanks for the feed back, he said its at least 3 years old but i think its more then that but maybe not much.

before you email i was thinking of offering $900 and seeing where that got me but maybe 800 is a better starting point.

Thanks again,

Anyone else have any feed back?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Also since it is a tracked machine it will be a bit more difficult to move around especially when the engine is off. I like wheels and tracks are only better than wheels if you have a steep driveway or excessivly deep snow that averages more than 2 feet or so deep to blow. Also tracks cost much more than wheels to replace when they wear out or dryrot and crack from non use. If you driveway is relatively flat and paved then a tracked snowblower will offer no benifits over the same wheeled model.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Honda snowblowers don't have model years. They do have "version number" called K-codes. A K-code can be produced for many years, with no changes.

The HS1132 was built for many years with no changes. It was discontinued just a couple of years ago and replaced with the HS1332.

Anyway, if you can get the serial number, I can look it up and tell you the ballpark age of the machine, the original selling dealer location, (possible) first date of retails sale.

Most important, there was a Product Safety Recall on a limited number of these models for a leaking fuel joint back issued by Honda in December 2010. Only a certain serial number range were affected. If this unit is in the affected range and has not already been repaired, Honda will repair it free of charge.

The serial number will be in the form of SZBF-1234567 and located on the rear frame between the tracks:

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Honda snowblowers don't have model years. They do have "version number" called K-codes. A K-code can be produced for many years, with no changes.

The HS1132 was built for many years with no changes. It was discontinued just a couple of years ago and replaced with the HS1332.

Anyway, if you can get the serial number, I can look it up and tell you the ballpark age of the machine, the original selling dealer location, (possible) first date of retails sale.

Most important, there was a Product Safety Recall on a limited number of these models for a leaking fuel joint back issued by Honda in December 2010. Only a certain serial number range were affected. If this unit is in the affected range and has not already been repaired, Honda will repair it free of charge.

The serial number will be in the form of SZBF-1234567 and located on the rear frame between the tracks:

is the " k " code on honda snowblowers used the same as the " k " code on their motorcycles

·
Registered
841 Posts
is the " k " code on honda snowblowers used the same as the " k " code on their motorcycles
Yes, in most cases.

With motorcycles, they also have model years, as that they are licensed, registered, taxed, etc. Power equipment products are usually not, so most snowblower manufacturers don't use model years.

The Honda K-code is like a version number. When a new model is introduced, is usually is assigned a K0 code. As running changes and improvements are made, the K-code bumps up, K1, K2, K3, etc.

Some Honda model stay at K0 for many years, while other models may change K-codes as often as twice a year.

Honda typically doesn't include the K-code in the model name in ad materials, websites, etc. to avoid confusion by customers, as it is unusual to have both a K0 and K1 version of a model in the distribution pipeline at the same time. Most dealers would be sure to sell off (usually discount) the K0 units before putting the K1 units out for sale.

·
Registered
841 Posts
the 1332 is the same chassis with a different engine, right?
For the most part, yes. There were a few other minor changes...the HS1132 had a single lever for throttle/choke while the HS1332 has separate levers. I think the HS1332 has an improved shear pin alignment design, improved muffler shield, improved engine emissions, and a few other minor changes. The basic frame, transmission, auger and other key parts are the same.

The engine for the HS1132 was made in Japan along with the rest of the snowblower, while the engine for the HS1332 is made in Thailand, then shipped to Japan, and then final assembly is completed there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Assuming there is nothing wrong with it, it's a steal at $1200 ($4000 new before tax) …but of course if you can get it for less that is even better. I've got one… never had an issue - - still looks & runs like new after 12+ years.

btw…ad says 36" snowblower (it is an 11 HP x 32" cut = 1132)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Another thing to inspect and negotiate, is the condition of the drive train. You can look up on "boatparts.net" or "parts tree" what the costs may be for replacements. Hondas are reliable, but expensive to repair when needed.

Also consider if this is a runner or not.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I can't see paying 1200 for a used snowblower. I'm sure it's nice, but at that much money it better have a warranty for a couple of years and i want to wear the "new" feel and smell off of it. Good luck though!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
It is a lot for a used machine, but then this machine, as most, run about four times their used, when new.

From a utility stand point, less expensive options are out there, with the potential of being equally reliable. The real question here, does the price tag match the needs for such a machine for the user. Tracked machines are nice, but they have their limitations as well.

·
Registered
604 Posts
for a used 1132 honda in good shape in the Twin Cities I would be shocked to find it for less than 1500. The used supply of these is very limited, and the demand is very high.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Serial Number

I finally got the serial number from the seller. he said its SZBF1020237. He sent a picture of the serial number but the flash didn't light all of it up. The number above is what he text'ed to me. Hope its accurate.

Sorry i have been away for a few days. Thanks for the feed back!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have heard so many good things about Honda blowers but the sticker price is very high... i thought i would try and pick a decent used one up on the used market... these things do not come up for sale to often and i stumbled across this one. I really like the Ariens brand and do own an Ariens 7524e (does a good job) currently but always wanted to try a Honda. In Iowa we only get 30 inches of snow a year but we get the wind! and it piles the snow up in to fairly large drifts so that's where this machine would come in handy. My father has a very long 400 ft driveway that go's 200 ft up hill. I think this machine would do pretty well taking that job.

If i do not like or need this Honda down the road i think i can sell for close to what i am going to pay for it since these machines have a decent resale value and demand.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Assuming there is nothing wrong with it, it's a steal at $1200 ($4000 new before tax) …but of course if you can get it for less that is even better. I've got one… never had an issue - - still looks & runs like new after 12+ years.

btw…ad says 36" snowblower (it is an 11 HP x 32" cut = 1132)
you are correct, i caught that right off the bat. I informed the seller and he agreed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Called Honda, they said it was made in 2005 (few years older then i thought), and also has a safety recall that has not been done regarding the fuel line that someone else mentioned earlier (thank you by the way) the tech said honda would cover to have that fixed.

The only other question i have is i wonder if this was one of the models that was subject to carburetor icing? I have heard that some 1132 were sensitive to that issue.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
if i remember correctly, all honda snow engines came with sheet metal shields around the carb, but only after a certain year. it wouldnt be hard to make one. you could probably sell it down the road for 1500 if you throw in extras like belts and skids, but you probably will not want to after you use it

1 - 20 of 92 Posts