Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing is about 5 or 6 years old. My church owns it, and at this particular building, we also have an old Murray built John Deere TRS-27.

Thoughts about the Honda-
Pros: It is a Honda. Good engine. Fires right up, Not too noisy. Throws snow BEAUTIFULLY!!

Cons: This thing was NOT designed for anyone over 5'10". (I am 6'2") Typical Japanese engineering. I have to bend over/crouch down to maneuver and drive this thing, and after 3-4 minutes of this, my back is KILLING me. Also- The track drive SUCKS when it comes to turning. There is NO nutural in this thing so it will not roll freely, despite what others have said. I either have to drag it or use the drive itself to move it. A major pain in the you know what for turning corners. Another con.. well.. It is a Honda. Love it or hate it.

I don't have to serve this building often for snow removal but when I do, I always take the Deere over the Honda because of how frustrating it is to drive, and how painful it is on my back as well. otherwise it's a great machine.

·
Registered
841 Posts
This thing was NOT designed for anyone over 5'10". (I am 6'2")
Honda recognized this issue and the most current version of this model (HS1332) has 2" taller handlebars. The choke/throttle also changed, so taller bars wont' fit older models.

The good news? Some aftermarket extensions are available, although not endorsed by Honda, I understand they work nicely and don't require longer cables or any other modifications.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree 100% on tracks. I have a 32"Ariens Pro with tracks and my purchase of it was a terrible mistake. It is very difficult to impossible to maneuver. I should have bought wheels and chains. It would have been cheaper and it would have done the same job. Tracks are trash! imho:eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree 100% on tracks. I have a 32"Ariens Pro with tracks and my purchase of it was a terrible mistake. It is very difficult to impossible to maneuver. I should have bought wheels and chains. It would have been cheaper and it would have done the same job. Tracks are trash! imho:eek:
The tracks on vehicles are useful for uneven terrain and climbing steep grades, especially when the ground is mud- or snow-covered, which is why tanks use tracks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The tracks on vehicles are useful for uneven terrain and climbing steep grades, especially when the ground is mud- or snow-covered, which is why tanks use tracks.
I've seen where tanks go, snow blowers generally don't go there. I'm certain I won't be blowing snow in any place like that. My drive is long, 600 ft. or so and fairly steep. Wheels and chains work fine and I can turn the machine. For a snow blower tracks are overkill. Again, imo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've seen where tanks go, snow blowers generally don't go there. I'm certain I won't be blowing snow in any place like that. My drive is long, 600 ft. or so and fairly steep. Wheels and chains work fine and I can turn the machine. For a snow blower tracks are overkill. Again, imo.
Maybe you bought your tracked snowblower before you tested it and understood its limitations and capabilities. If the less expensive wheels/chains work as well on your "fairly steep" driveway and you bought the "overkill" machine by mistake, is that really that machine's fault?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Maybe you bought your tracked snowblower before you tested it and understood its limitations and capabilities. If the less expensive wheels/chains work as well on your "fairly steep" driveway and you bought the "overkill" machine by mistake, is that really that machine's fault?

Who said it was the machines fault? Certainly not me. I simply stated that tracked machines are more difficult to maneuver than snow blowers with wheels. I doubt anyone would disagree with that. I further stated my OPINION that tracked machines were overkill. Am I not allowed an opinion? I think so. Get over it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Who said it was the machines fault? Certainly not me. I simply stated that tracked machines are more difficult to maneuver than snow blowers with wheels. I doubt anyone would disagree with that. I further stated my OPINION that tracked machines were overkill. Am I not allowed an opinion? I think so. Get over it.

Have you thought about switching to decaf?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Have you thought about switching to decaf?
Hey, Guy. No need to attack folks opinion (mine in this case) in a forum that is 90% opinion. I said I made a mistake purchasing a tracked machine. I know why they make tracks, I think everyone does. What I don't think people know is how difficult tracked machine are to maneuver. My initial post was in agreement with Ryan's initial observation that "track drive SUCKS when it comes to turning. There is NO nutural in this thing so it will not roll freely, despite what others have said. I either have to drag it or use the drive itself to move it. A major pain...". I state my OPINION
that tracks are overkill in the hopes that others strongly consider avoiding them when they purchase a snow blower. You may disagree. If so post your reasons. That's all I've done.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This thing was NOT designed for anyone over 5'10". (I am 6'2") Typical Japanese engineering. I have to bend over/crouch down to maneuver and drive this thing, and after 3-4 minutes of this, my back is KILLING me.
yep. In the videos I watched I noticed everything was very short. At 6'5", this is what kept me from even considering a Honda. Although, considering the speeds they need to operate at, walking on my knees could have always been a possibility but one I chose not to try out. :D :p ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it had wheels and taller handles then this machine would get a five star rating from me. No doubt. But hey, I am not the one who ordered it, just one of the ones who uses them. The property this blower and the JD are staged at is rather large so it makes sense to have 2 of them when we need to clear the church walks and pathways quickly in the wintertime, I'll just leave a note on it suggesting that those who are 5'9 or shorter use it and only on the straight paths/sidewalks and not the many curved paths we have there, for which the old TRS-27 should be used.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have one wheeled and one track (see signature), the wheeled unit gets the job on small driveways and anytime i have to make a lot of short turns or a lot of short back and forth areas.

My Honda works great on long straightaways (less turns), steep hills, and very deep snow. It can also push through compacted snow easier.

Yes the Honda is tougher to turn because it inherently has more traction and weight.

Track units have their place but i think wheels can be easier for many people (85% of snow removal jobs).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had a Craftsman 8/26 with tracks for 18 years and really liked it BUT it had steering clutches. I up grated to a Toro because I wanted more power for wet heavy snows.

·
Registered
397 Posts
yep. In the videos I watched I noticed everything was very short. At 6'5", this is what kept me from even considering a Honda. Although, considering the speeds they need to operate at, walking on my knees could have always been a possibility but one I chose not to try out. :D :p ;)
The handlebars in the new ones are 2" higher. The chute direction control is still too low though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have both a tracked unit I bought new and a used wheeled unit, both Hondas. The tracks are a b*tch to turn. Essentially you just drag the thing. And it's a pain to have to step on the foot thing to lift the bucket to back up, then step on it again to lower it to make another pass. Honda doing what Honda loves to do sometimes - make things more complicated and expensive than necessary.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the information regarding snowblowers with tracks. I always heard that they were difficult to turn, and my driveway and garage required a machine that could turn easily. It's good to hear that I made the right choice for my particular situation.
Since that purchase I moved to a new house with a driveway that is three times larger but still requires lots of turning, so the wheeled snowblower is still preferable for blowing snow. I suppose somebody with a steep broken up or stone driveway that is very long might prefer or benefit from a tracked snowblower, but that is probably the minority of owners.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've been lit up for saying this in previous posts regarding tracks vs wheels, but I'll say it again, "test drive or demo a track unit before purchasing." I'm not knocking track units, but unless your snow clearing duties involve snow removal on a steep grade driveway or the side of a hill, track units are probably overkill. Wheel units or wheeled units with chains will suffice 95% of the time and provide much better maneuverability in the process. My dealer allowed me (with a full deposit) a two week demo with the tracked Honda HS928. Awesome machine, but certainly way overkill for my relatively flat driveway and much more labor intensive to turn at the ends of the driveway. As I get older and the aches & pains occur more frequently, maneuverability has become much more of a priority. I opted for the HS928 wheeled version just based on my demo experience. Exact same snow clearing performance as the tracked unit without fighting the turns or needing a dolly to move around the shed in the summer. Both units have their Pro's and Con's, so if you're on the fence track vs wheel, I highly recommend taking each for a demo before plunking down $3K. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
381 Posts
Here's a dumb question. If the axle shafts are the same (and even if they aren't) can you remove the track drive and put a set of tires on one if you hate it that much? I'd have to look at both side by side but it would seem doable and you could throw a used set of wheels on and be good to go.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here's a dumb question. If the axle shafts are the same (and even if they aren't) can you remove the track drive and put a set of tires on one if you hate it that much? I'd have to look at both side by side but it would seem doable and you could throw a used set of wheels on and be good to go.
Not a dumb question at all. I have a tracked Ariens and I have often wondered how hard it would be to covert it to the wheels I should have purchased in the first place.
Anyone?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts