Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Last night I mounted the tracks, whoo-hoo!

But...
The skids are rusted pretty bad and I could only get one of the four loose, so i had to take them off to soak them to be able to remove the bolts.

Once that's taken care of I'll pull it out of the workshop, mount the engine and give it a test run. If all goes well I'll be working on the chute next.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
i usually mount the engine first before the bucket to test the drive etc. it's just easier for me anyway for installing the drive belt I guess. plus with the engine weight you can lean the machine back onto the handlebars to install the bucket at an easier angle.

it really doesnt matter .it looks like you are making good progress.it's nice when you have plenty of time instead of a rush job.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Makes sense but I want to put the whole thing together again and test everything as soon as I can. If the drive [final gear] is shot then it goes back in the garage and listed for sale, project done. If it all works nice then it goes back in the garage and gets used this winter and probably stripped and painted next summer, unless i don't get a motorcycle, then it may get painted this summer...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Here we go...
As I am still fighting with the skid plates and now with the scraper bar bolts I decided it best to take the auger back off [should have heeded your advise orangputeh] as I cannot raise the auger enough that it won't scrape the ground. Here's a shot of the scraper bar bolts.

I may just hit it with the angle grinder and replace the whole works [which, given the state of the nuts/bolts was pretty much a given anyway]. Scraper bar seems fine.

But, I did mount the engine and after breaking/removing/rewinding/reinstalling the pull starter line [I know, right?] I was off and running. I have to adjust the carb a little but that can wait [it was too hot out to mess around with a running engine on an asphalt driveway].
It cycles through all of the gears smoothly and drives fine. My neighbors must think I am absolutely insane as I was driving up and down the driveway and around the yard a little with this unfinished contraption looking thing.
But overall, very happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
those studs on the scraper bar may break off trying to get the nuts off. happens to me allthe time. i think there are 5 and you can along without a couple. those bars are NLA from anyone and wouldhave to be custom made if needs to be replaced. I would just drill out the reminder of stud and use hardware bolts and nuts.

same thing happens sometimes with the skid shoes.

was there a key for the auger belt pulley? i think there is on 50's. my brain is so damaged. I just put one together last week and there was. same thing on 55's and 80's but for some reason not all of them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Orangputeh, yep, probably just drill them out and figure out some replacement with carriage bolts or something. Ran out of time so that’s the next mission. Bar is in good shape though.
as far as a key on the auger pulley, not sure what you mean, is it for the removal of the pulley or belt? More detail?

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Orangputeh, yep, probably just drill them out and figure out some replacement with carriage bolts or something. Ran out of time so that’s the next mission. Bar is in good shape though.
as far as a key on the auger pulley, not sure what you mean, is it for the removal of the pulley or belt? More detail?
woodruff key. part #41 in boats.net diagram for hs50 TA click augers and drive pulley

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I didn't disassemble the auger as of yet, so assuming the key is there and in good shape. I did run into a woodruff key in the flywheel assembly which was in good shape.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I'm working on a 50 right now. removing augers and housing which is in beautiful condition. pressure washed engine. looks new.

carb is trashed so brought out 4 carbs from my stash. hopefully can make one good one out of these 4.

pressure washed chassis. tracks have some cracks in them. this is close to a 40 year old machine. unfortunately , like a dummy did not take any before pics but it looked like it has been left outside for the last 20 years. here's another that looks just like it.

once i install the carb i can reinstall engine and test drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Orangputeh, nice machine. I have to say mine will be my first and only 50 that I will work on, perhaps my only Honda as they are just too over-engineered for my taste.
I now have power back so I'll get back on my 50 this weekend or so.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So. between the angle grinder and the grinding wheel I got the skid shoes separated and took off the scraper bar. Here's a pic after I ground all the bolts off the scraper bar and cleaned it up a little bit, a very little bit.

The nuts holding the scraper bar were in a sad state and had to be ground off which meant completely removing the nuts and welded bolts. I am not a fan of welded bolt posts on any machinery, but especially yard/lawn/outside equipment, it does not allow for the deterioration of the mounted bolt. In any case, going to replace the scraper bar bolts with some stainless carriage bolts and some stainless hex heads for the skid shoes.
I removed the auger from the housing so I could also get the shear pins out and service the auger parts. I've only removed one so far, in the end I had to hit the hell out of it with a hammer. If anyone has any recommendation about shear pin replacements for a 50 please let me know, I found some on Amazon which look correct and are cheap enough for me to give it a shot. Also going to replace any other removed bolts with new stainless.
As always, I am on the fence as to how far I want to go with the work. Currently I am trying to do everything I can do to it with the exception of paint. I am convincing myself of this stance [I waver here and there] because i want to use it this winter and see if I like it. I have never had a track drive or a Honda so I'll see if the combination suits me [and the walkways, driveway, path to the woodpile....I digress]. I have noticed that the handles are a little low for me, which got really annoying on an older blower I had. I should state for the record that I hate painting anything, I do not have the patience for it, I am not good at it, and I try to avoid it whenever possible.
Here is the current state of the machine, well the auger side anyway.

End shot of the auger axle, the other side looks almost the same. going to replace the three bolts that hold the bushing cover.

Well, that's as far as I got today. Need to go get some bolts/nuts at the hardware store.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
i didnt like painting at first but it grows on you. the prep is so much longer. all the different grit sanding flaps on a grinder. but the end result gets some raves. with the 50 you can take the sides off the bucket and that makes it a little easier. you look like you have your work cut out for you. some examples. I'm retired so have a LOT of time on my hands.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Nice work on those, want to paint mine?
been swamped with work. was turning down most of it but since havent been making extra cash took on 2 projects in past week.

if you pay freight both ways and about 500 for the job. ( will need bucket , chute, and tank if you want same color ) then we can do it. probably will only be about a grand total. unless I drive 3000 miles if i come to you. can do it there. only 2 grand should cover all expenses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thanks for the offer orangputeh but I'll probably take a pass, considering the resale value of the machine in pristine condition is only $500 or so. If I run the standard labor rate of $80/hr against the hours I have into it I'm already at about $3,500, I have already blown my budget. I now know why most shops won't take in a 50 for repairs.
I still haven't gotten down to the hardware store to get replacement bolts and I'm waiting on new shear pins. Once I get it all collected I'll start to put it back together [which to me is the best part]. Then it's on to the chute and it's components.
This one did have a key on the auger drive shaft at the drive belt wheel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Ok, back at it again. Ended up sanding [not very well] and painting [not very well] the auger housing as I couldn't convince myself not to do it. Replaced all the bolts on the housing, auger axle, and mounting as well.

I didn't do anything with the auger itself other than soak the hell out of it with a de-greaser and a little lite sanding.

Replaced the shear bolts while I had it apart.
I mounted the scraper bar with some stainless bulb head hex bolts.

Here's a shot of the back side of the scraper bar.

Next I'm going to remount the auger to the frame, install the belt and give 'er a run. Then on to the chute and chute mount.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
looks great to me. looks like you're "all in" now. haha. ( laughing in a good way ).there's no turning back now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yep, I just couldn't put it together without doing the paint on the auger housing, it looked horrible before, now it only looks kind of horrible.
But yes, I guess I'm "all in" on this one now. Not my original intention, but whatchayagonnado, knowwhatimean....??
I need to get more bolts [auger housing to frame] as the existing bolts are in a pretty sad state.
We'll see where we go next on this one. I keep saying I am going to get to the chute, but it seems like I constantly find something else I need to do first.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I do this work EVERY day except Sunday's nearly all year round. I enjoy it. I go thru so much hardware that I buy tons from Boltdepot.com.

I have jars full of nuts and bolts in vinegar for a couple weeks and then dry and paint. today to stay busy I serviced a friends Honda hs928 and installed an impeller kit for free.

are u putting an impeller kit in this child? easy to do with impeller out.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts