Snowblower Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Noma 9/27 & '82 Honda HS50
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I was going to install an impeller kit but to be honest, completely forgot about it. Once I got in to the sanding/painting of the auger I spaced it. We'll see how it works this winter [if we get any snow of note] and if need be I'll install one. Now that you can actually take the bolts off without a grinder it may be a nice quick winter project.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well folks, this may be my last post regarding this 50 rebuild.
Here's an existential question, has anyone ever worked on a machine that just didn't seem like it wanted to be fixed?
I digress, but here goes...
I completed painting the chute, chute stays, and the belt cover [badly of course, not showroom quality, but more stop the rust quality]. Replaced all the mounting bolts and greased up the mechanism.
Here it is in all it's glory.

Runs great, auger works great, transmission works great.
But wait, something is missing, no?
Yes, the phalking chute crank. Why is it missing?
Well, the mounting bolt broke.

and it's bent so bad that it actually doesn't rotate when it's mounted.

Which begs the question, how do you bend it so badly and not break the mounting bracket? I have no answer for this.
Due to these recent discoveries I have moved the HS 50 and all the parts to the back of the workshop and will eventually sell it or part it out. I'm done.
I just deleted a paragraph I wrote about how I really feel about this 50 and Honda blowers in general but it was not suitable for posting.
Bottom line, lesson learned, won't be repeated.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
You have done a BEAUTIFUL job!!!

dont be discouraged. not too hard to fix IMO. around here 50's are free. I have 5 in the back yard for parts. maybe you can find a free or cheap donor machine for parts.

otherwise drill that broken bolt out, use a flat head carriage bolt, you can pry the end off to get some room to work with. That worm gear is held by a pin I believe.
Heat the the chuter and bend back into place. I do it all the time. If it cracks you can install a sleave to shore it up.

But that's a beautiful job. Sold one like that a couple years back for $800. Had a collector fly in from Boise Idaho to pick up and then rented vehicle to bring it home. But if you parted it out you could get more than that. I'd keep it.It's going to worth a lot in years to come.

Thanks for the entertaining thread.

good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks Orangputeh, it certainly looks better than when I picked it up.
I can fix the remaining issues, but at this point just don't know if I want to. This project has been one of constant repair and uncovering more things to repair. I sort of knew what I was getting in to from the start but the motivation I had in the beginning is now gone.
I may have to just let it sit and see how I feel about it in a few months.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So my Dad was in town this weekend and was pretty impressed with my work on the 50. I had been sending him pictures of the work in progress and asking him about some of the issues so he was interested in seeing it in person. He couldn't understand why I didn't finish it, I had no answer other than, sometimes you have to push a project aside for a little bit before you rush it and mess something up.
I caught myself browsing used blowers on Craigslist today. I have been looking for the perfect motorcycle project which hasn't materialized yet, but always find myself checking out the used snowblowers. Just as i was eyeing up a nice Simplicity and thinking seriously about it I caught myself. Let's just finish the 50.
So, I took apart the chute control assembly and cleaned it up. Getting the compression pin out of the gear mounting was a big PITA but it's done. Going to hit the hardware store this weekend and see which way I want to repair it.
Started it up when Dad was here and I need to adjust the carb and throttle a bit but man what a smooth running engine and though it hasn't been sitting long it started on the first pull, smooth as silk..

Before:

After:

The bearings are in good shape, just need to grind off the old mounting bolt head from the harness and get a replacement bolt assembly.
Until next time...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
And it’s done.
Put it all back together, adjusted the carb and throttle, and it’s ready for winter.

and here it is with big brother.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Machine looks great, your perseverance payed off. Big brother better watch out, little brother might eat his lunch this winter:)
Let us know how the Honda performs this winter.

Cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks Ziggy65. It was an interesting project. Glad to have it done (for now). Ill let you know how it works this winter. Big Brother (9/27 Noma) is a proven warrior in the snow, don’t know if the small Honda could do what it does, but for smaller snowfalls it might be perfect. I really wanted a track blower to make a path from the driveway to the woodpile in the yard, the wheeled blower destroys the yard, with the track blower I can raise it up a bit off the ground.
Now on to the next project...

61 - 68 of 68 Posts