Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, hope you've all had an enjoyable winter and your machines performed as they should.
I was very impressed with the performance of the 50 that I rebuilt last spring that I decided I needed to tear it back down and do all the little things that I didn't initially do last year. To catch up, go here:
and then I had a thought about adding lights here:
But the pegs I need to mount the lighting coil to are not threaded, so, no lights.
Anyway on to the pix.
Just in from the winter:

So I picked up some new parts [tap room cover and track frame, right and left] but the covers on the motor were so rusty I figured I'd rebuild the engine first, then set it aside and do the body. I have given myself two months to complete, let's see how I do.
Did a lot of cleaning and some painting with the motor the last couple of days, here's a before:

and an after:

I'm going to swing by the hardware store tomorrow to get some new bolts so I can mount some other pieces, I'll post pix once there's something to look at.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
man, you are a maniac!!!!

we would get along just fine. if you havent been surfing the site , i just finished this custom Honda HS624.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man, you are a maniac!!!!

we would get along just fine. if you havent been surfing the site , i just finished this custom Honda HS624.
Orangputeh, yes, a bit of a maniac I guess.
Nice machine by the way, who did you build it for, an art studio or a custom metal shop?
Did more work on the 50 motor but once I get the console complete and put back together I’ll post some more pix. Spending a lot on screws with this thing, gonna be chrome for miles on the motor.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Orangputeh, yes, a bit of a maniac I guess.
Nice machine by the way, who did you build it for, an art studio or a custom metal shop?
Did more work on the 50 motor but once I get the console complete and put back together I’ll post some more pix. Spending a lot on screws with this thing, gonna be chrome for miles on the motor.
SB ( snowblower anonymous ) meets here 24/7 365 days a year.

The more i do this the more meticulous I become. Each project takes longer and longer and am glad dont keep track of hours. Making $2 a hour could be discouraging , haha. I'm embarassed by some of my earlier work but all the owners are happy with their machines.

Most times I dont have to advertise. Have waiting lists for certain model Honda's . The 724 is the most sought after as it is a perfect "double duty" machine. Big enough for driveways but small enough for decks and walkways.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SB ( snowblower anonymous ) meets here 24/7 365 days a year.

The more i do this the more meticulous I become. Each project takes longer and longer and am glad dont keep track of hours. Making $2 a hour could be discouraging , haha. I'm embarassed by some of my earlier work but all the owners are happy with their machines.

Most times I dont have to advertise. Have waiting lists for certain model Honda's . The 724 is the most sought after as it is a perfect "double duty" machine. Big enough for driveways but small enough for decks and walkways.
orangputeh, I could never rebuild a machine as meticulously as I am rebuilding this 50 and expect to recoup even 30% of the labor time I put in. For me it’s some entertainment instead of sitting in front of the tube (er, flatscreen?).
In any case. I sanded and primed the rear motor cover and the starter cover. Should be done with those by weeks end. Then in to the gas tank. I am not a good painter.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
orangputeh, I could never rebuild a machine as meticulously as I am rebuilding this 50 and expect to recoup even 30% of the labor time I put in. For me it’s some entertainment instead of sitting in front of the tube (er, flatscreen?).
In any case. I sanded and primed the rear motor cover and the starter cover. Should be done with those by weeks end. Then in to the gas tank. I am not a good painter.
consider getting the parts blasted and powdercoated. It really is very reasonable.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
consider getting the parts blasted and powdercoated. It really is very reasonable.
Reasonable, yes, in my budget, no. I have been using spray can primer and paint. I'll be reinstalling more of the engine parts this weekend [except for the gas tank].
Am now tearing the rest of it down, handlebars off, auger off, tracks next, then the interior and this time I am disassembling the final drive gears. I want to make sure they're greased adequately and add a zerk to the cover, I'll have to make my own gasket to replace the one I am assuming I will ruin when I take it apart. I also can't adequately sand/paint the body without taking it off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost done with the engine (will I ever truly be “done” with it?) and figured I haven’t posted in a while (plus I’m pretty happy with how it came out) so here’s a couple pix.
just want to say to those who stumble across this thread because they’re looking for info on weather or not to rebuild an HS50, I would say yes and no.
I figure in the end I turned a non-running, rusty (but with decent bones) machine into a completely refurbished machine. It will cost me about $350-$400 in parts, tools, etc (this does not include the (at shop rate of $80/hr) labor involved which would easily top $2-$3K. But, it is a hobby and something I enjoy doing, so I look at it as not “fixing a machine to use”, but a reason to drink beer in the workshop and mess around with tools and chill.
That being said, on to the pix.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No decals yet, waiting until the whole machine is done and fully assembled.
Yes, I still have to clean up the muffler and change the four bolts that aren’t tightened up.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Dave, nice work as always. What did you use to clean up that carburetor cover and top piece. It looks brand new! I have used 000 steel wool but yours looks great.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave, nice work as always. What did you use to clean up that carburetor cover and top piece. It looks brand new! I have used 000 steel wool but yours looks great.
Orangputeh, thanks, very much appreciated. here’s a pic of the two wire wheels I used (that’s it). I didn’t prime the tin heat covers or the carb cover, only the gas tank, flywheel cover, and interior frame of the control The carb cover and top are painted with high heat silver.

I took a bunch of pix tearing down and rebuilding the motor (every screw except the crank case cover - gotta leave something for next year), I’ll post them up when I transfer them from the phone to the PC.
Here’s a quick (2 month) before and after of the motor.

Little different angle.

current status of the body/transmission:

Yep, I’ll post more on that later, Final Gear is in great shape, needs new grease packing, some bearings are bad, but overall, not bad.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Should note that the only new parts here are the fuel tank cap and the spark plug, well, yeah the gas lines and a pile of bolts, but all the others stuff original. thought about working something with the muffler (can’t find a mint one) but can’t find anything suitable, will clean up the chrome and replace the four rusty housing bolts and be done with it (for now).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh crap, the throttle lever is new, forgot about that, the prior owner did some modifications on the original that I wasn’t fond of.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Mucho gracias. I've refurbed 50's before but not to the extent you have. i do it to sell so would need more than $2 an hour LOL. I understand where you are coming from......as a hobby. Much satisfaction on doing a job like this.

Have done this to 828-928-1132 as they go for 4-5 times more than the older 50 or 55 redone. My problem with these older Honda's are parts availability and cost effectiveness.

But they are still fun to do.

Have enjoyed your story here. You should join my FB group for Honda owners and post this project there. People would be very interested.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
following along, looking good Dave

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Great work Dave, you should be very proud of your efforts and results.

I really enjoy these restoration threads with lots of photos and details.

Refurbishing/restoring these vintage machines is a rewarding experience (not monetarily), it gives you a chance to learn, develop skills, destress, have a few beers and then put your creation to work next winter.

The big question is, when you are finished with this one, what machine will be your next project?:cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great work Dave, you should be very proud of your efforts and results.

I really enjoy these restoration threads with lots of photos and details.

Refurbishing/restoring these vintage machines is a rewarding experience (not monetarily), it gives you a chance to learn, develop skills, destress, have a few beers and then put your creation to work next winter.

The big question is, when you are finished with this one, what machine will be your next project?:cool:
Thanks Ziggy65, appreciate it. I am a big fan of the tear down/rebuild threads as well [regardless of the make/model of the machine].
I agree that it is a personally rewarding experience. I'm a project guy and troubleshooting things like this combined with needing and getting new tools [c-clip remover for example], parts [bearing hubs, spring coils, etc] and rebuilding are right up my alley. But to me the best satisfaction is the reassembly, after the paint is dry on the parts and everything is all nice and shiny, and, of course when it all fits together... just like the shop manual says it should.
As far as what's next, who knows, something will catch my interest.
I still have some quality time to spend with the 50, the way I see it, I'm about 1/3 complete with this one, engine tear down/rebuild, done. Transmission and frame teardown almost complete, then rebuild. Then I'm on to tearing down the auger assembly. I had hoped to push through it in a couple months but yardwork, work [i.e. my job], owning a home [new dishwasher last week], and other parental obligations always seem to push out my schedules.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts