Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I am the same way, once I get into the project, I really want to get it finished to see the results. I have to pace myself and treat it like something to do on a rainy day or when I am looking for something to occupy my time.

Spring is such a busy time for most people, so the project gets side lined for a while.

I keep telling myself I have until the snow flies in December, don't need it done by June.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Did a little polishing on the muffler, cleaned up a lot better than I thought it would. Changed the housing lock screws while I had them out.
Still some crusties on there but not too bad. Elbow grease, old hand towel, and chrome cleaner.

Don’t know if I’m allowed to show pix of products but I like to know what someone used to achieve a given result. In any case if posting products is bad etiquette please let me know.
Also spending some time with the frame, the mice really did a number on it, here’s where I’m at.

as you can see from the pic I have a ways to go. I did disassemble the final drive and drive axel this morning. I am going to replace all (3) roller bearings as I figure I never want to have to do this again.
my wife also ordered a new bathroom vanity for the bathroom upstairs so looks like I’m renovating the bathroom next weekend or the weekend after that. The 50 will be on hold pending that project, but stay tuned, I have a tendency to push a project when parts are on the way... and they’re on the way.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
you wont wanna use it when done.... I sold one just like this almost pristine for 800 about 3-4 years ago. probably worth a lot more now as a collector. these are over 40 years old.

I have 3 and am gonna total restore and save for 50th anniversary. sell for 50000 each on barretts/jackson

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
you wont wanna use it when done.... I sold one just like this almost pristine for 800 about 3-4 years ago. probably worth a lot more now as a collector. these are over 40 years old.

I have 3 and am gonna total restore and save for 50th anniversary. sell for 50000 each on barretts/jackson
Somewhat true, rebuilding it so I can use it for a long time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have some time today so figured I would bring everyone up to speed on the 50.
Here's some tear down and rebuild pix of the motor [G200]:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
... and a few more...

and the one I posted the other day with the cleaned up muffler [just to complete the set]

In the process of disassembly, cleaning, rebuild of transmission, final drive, and other parts.
Once I get done with my meeting this morning I'll post up some pix of that process.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I did not remove the crank case cover, want to, have the gasket and a new roller bearing for it, but may do so prior to reinstalling the motor, or maybe not, depends on the state of the oil and how it runs when I finally mount it to a cart and turn it over. The oil seal on it is currently holding [new one at the ready] and the current bearing looks ok so may let it go until next year. But, then again, maybe not. Going to concentrate on getting the interiors [Transmission, Final Gear, etc] back up to snuff and see what kind of time I have.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Should note that I did remove the head [again] and clean the piston, valve heads, and associated. Because, why not...

Here's a before pic, guess I never took one prior to reinstalling the head.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
Maybe you already mentioned this but do you use some kind of clear coat on the paint and if so what is it?
I have used automotive acrylic clear coat but not sure if that is good.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Continued:

...and that's pretty much where I'm at.
Need to continue cleaning the final gears and sanding the frame body.
Also somewhat on hold as I ordered new roller bearings all around [total of 6 in 3 different sizes].
I ordered/received sheet gasket material that I will use to create a new gasket for the final drive. The final drive is not a sealed cover which is good [no zerk needed and you can see if it's still adequately greased] and bad [allows water, dirt, etc to enter the cover].
Given the state of the grease in the final drive I would say I caught this in time as I would assume it was headed toward eminent failure. There is gek built up on both gears and just about everything underneath. Plenty of elbow grease and sanding needed to get it back to it's original luster.
Until next time...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Maybe you already mentioned this but do you use some kind of clear coat on the paint and if so what is it?
I have used automotive acrylic clear coat but not sure if that is good.
Orangeputeh, I didn't clear coat anything, just the primer and paint [Red paint and white gas tank] and only the high heat silver on the covers [no prime and no clear coat]. I did wax the painted parts [not the silver covers] prior to installation so I could get a nice complete coat on them so the snow doesn't stick to it. Of course I'll wax the whole thing again when I'm done. I am thinking about putting a clear coat on the auger assembly and parts as that area takes a decent beating when in use, but am still undecided.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Dave, great progress and you should be very proud of the thoroughness and quality of the restoration.
Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post your work and progress, it gives us that have no experience with Hondas a better understanding of the internals and how they work.

Reactions: contender

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Dave, great progress and you should be very proud of the thoroughness and quality of the restoration.
Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post your work and progress, it gives us that have no experience with Hondas a better understanding of the internals and how they work.
Thanks Ziggy65, I like doing the restoration and take the pix as a matter of course [and for my memory during reinstall]. When I started the 50 I didn't see any in depth info on it on the site so figured I would upload to create a data base of sorts for anyone who wants to do the same on an old 50 [mine turns 40 this year]. Also find that the tools and techniques used to rebuild the 50 have applications elsewhere in life. Personally I can geek out on some of the restoration threads, really love that "how it's made" type stuff, oh, and before/after pix, those are my favorite.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
yep, thanks Dave for posting. Looking good (well, except for that "grease")

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
yep, thanks Dave for posting. Looking good (well, except for that "grease")
Thanks Paul. The grease was more like oily mud at this point. Have new grease to pack it with when I put it all back together.
Got sidetracked with other projects but put a little time in to the 50 tonight. I’m still waiting on parts (how many bearings again...) so I’m not as motivated (can’t put it back together anyway). But, the rust and gek removal on the frame and final drive gears is taking far longer than anticipated (as usual). But, coming along nonetheless.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Parts started arriving this week more to come. I got extra bearings and parts for future use (if necessary) while I can.
I do need help as I can’t find decals to replace the speed indicator on the control or the HS50 decals on the auger sides, does anyone know where to get them or a model with a similar design that I can use for the speed I got drive and auger decals from another model that match the originals.
Any help is appreciated. I’m still prepping the housing and have been too busy on other projects to mount and fire up the motor, but soon I will be back on track and will post pix.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
Parts started arriving this week more to come. I got extra bearings and parts for future use (if necessary) while I can.
I do need help as I can’t find decals to replace the speed indicator on the control or the HS50 decals on the auger sides, does anyone know where to get them or a model with a similar design that I can use for the speed I got drive and auger decals from another model that match the originals.
Any help is appreciated. I’m still prepping the housing and have been too busy on other projects to mount and fire up the motor, but soon I will be back on track and will post pix.
Those decals are NLA if you are speaking of the Honda HS50 side decals on the housing. What I do is cut down one of these new side decals. Not sure if it would fit the smaller 50. I cut out the hydrostatic and cut to fit on a 80. have used these also on bigger buckets 50-55 that come with the wheeled version.

You can go down to local dealer and look at the new machine decals and see if one can be cut down to size for yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Those decals are NLA if you are speaking of the Honda HS50 side decals on the housing. What I do is cut down one of these new side decals. Not sure if it would fit the smaller 50. I cut out the hydrostatic and cut to fit on a 80. have used these also on bigger buckets 50-55 that come with the wheeled version.

You can go down to local dealer and look at the new machine decals and see if one can be cut down to size for yours.
Thanks orangputeh, that was plan B.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
21 - 40 of 57 Posts