Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So while I was waiting for parts I took apart the auger housing. Having a little trouble with the left auger flight but I haven’t really gotten after it yet. Fortunately the three auger bearings are good. I took apart the auger gear and it looks sound. I’ll use the same material I got for the final drive housing to make a new gasket for the side plate.

going to clean everything up, regrease the assembly and we’re good. I am going to put a zerk fitting in each auger flight as they certainly need them.
Also mounted the engine on a cart and fired it up. I’ll have to adjust the carb a little but fired right up and ran pretty smooth, a little hunt and chase warming up but after a couple minutes it was nice and smooth. Nice and quiet too (compared to the lawnmower and lawn tractor I was pushing/riding earlier in the day).
I did get the replacement bearings so the only thing holding me up is prepping the frame. I hit it pretty hard today so I’m hoping to be priming mid week.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Had some time last night so I did some more work on the housing. I need to get it done so I can start reassembly (and get all these parts off my workbench, did I mention that I am also renovating our upstairs bathroom?).
Still a little more to go but here’s some pix:

as stated earlier I took apart the auger housing, gear, etc. I’m going to strip down the entire housing and repaint, I’m thinking in the main body parts I’m going to prime (x2), paint (x2), and the. Clear coat. I’ll wax the hell out of everything as well (auto wax) prior to final install.
Here’s the current state of the back of the auger housing.

there is a lot of black rubber from the impeller fan getting stuck this winter, the belt didn’t move but everything else did (took about 1/8” of part of the belt with it), made more of a mess than anything. Yes, I replaced the belt, keep it as a worst case backup.
The auger bearings are smooth and just need to be cleaned up. The housings need to be attended to but not too bad.

thats a pic of the inside of the housings.
While I’m posting I figured I would show you a pic of my “engine cart”, actually an old cart for a pressure washer but works perfect for mounting any motor I’m working on so I can fire it up independent of the machine.
Going to restart the motor at some point, adjust the carb, change the oil, and do a little more dinking around with the choke (works fine but not perfect).

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
you could probably have that engine bed blasted and powder coated for about 25-35 dollars.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Today I finished sanding the engine bed or whatever it’s called and primed it. While I was sanding (it was a nice day and I was outside) I did the belly pan.
of course I forgot to take a before pic of the belly pan, but here’s the after.
I ran out of gray primer so I used white on the belly pan.

I also have received all the parts I ordered so it’s go time.
Going to do the topcoat on the parts above on Saturday, still undecided if I want to do a clear coat after that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
First coated today, I’ll hit it again tomorrow.

the metal was damaged by rust and corrosion and I didn’t sand it smooth after removing all the rust/mek, I figure we all have our scars. If you zoom in real close you can see the “age spots” but I think it adds a little character.
Need to finish cleaning the final drive housing and the drive axle as they are next on the agenda... unless I get distracted by the auger again...

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
maybe sign it somewhere. probably be worth a fortune someday. i dont know of anyone that completely restores a 50. or put it in your will that it can NEVER be sold by family.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
If anyone is interested here’s the primers I used on the bare metal.

and here’s the black topcoat paint.

I haven’t used this type of topcoat before but happy with the results. I definitely like the gray automotive primer better than the white metal primer, it is much more forgiving.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Had to clean up the workbench so I can get in to the reassembly.
The road ahead:

should say “the road immediately ahead”. I still have quite a bit to address with the auger and handlebars before this is all said and done.
Oh, and I figured out a way I can add some sweet lights.
More to come...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
looking good. What do you mean about the gray primer being more forgiving?

tx

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

tx
I am a terrible painter, I tend to rush it and put too much paint on and it runs. With some paint it is very easy to put too much paint on in a quick spray, I found that the gray primer sprayed on at a speed and consistency that worked with my painting style [fast and inconsistent]. It also is a drier, less glossy, more matte finish that I found covered well and lent itself as a great base for a nice thick glossy topcoat. It dried [even in thicker spots] faster than the white primer I used. It was also more forgiving in not leaving fingerprints or indentations when I pick up a part way too soon to turn it over to paint the other side [again, fast and inconsistent].
The black topcoat I used was also easy to use for similar reasons as above.
I should admit that I am partial to using a separate primer and topcoat in lieu of a primer topcoat mix type paint. Why am I partial to this, because I have more opportunities to fix my f-ups, and to be honest I make a mess with the thick primer/topcoat paints as they are a very thick spray, not good for a painter of my style.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

tx
Sorry, I rambled and didn't answer your question. The gray primer, as stated above sprayed in a nice, dry [for lack of a better word] finish, it didn't spray on particularly heavy and you would have to really lay on it to get it to go on heavy enough to the point where the paint would run, but yet, covered easily with a nice thick coat. The white primer, is sort of like that primer/paint mix stuff, not substantially heavier than the gray, but a thicker spray with a substantially more glossy though not really, finish which seems to lend itself [at least in my case] to paint runs.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
thanks Dave

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Finished the 2nd coat on the housing and pan.

while that’s drying I am just about done prepping the final drive case and transmission case. I did a lot of work on the main drive axle as well.

also took apart the (insert actual part name here). I have new bearings I am going to install, the original bearings were fine but, you know...

more to come...

41 - 57 of 57 Posts